Kanab Things to Do

Happy Maria is ready to go - RAPPELL!
    by Laurelea
  • We were all dirty and VERY happy end of day!
    We were all dirty and VERY happy end of...
  • SSA took Al into a seldom seen Slot Canyon
    SSA took Al into a seldom seen Slot...

Best Rated Things to Do in Kanab

• Frontier Movie Town

by gminer1 Written Aug 12, 2011

I went to the Movie Museum in Kanab and was very unpleasantly surprised. I took my children who were very excited about the chance to see how western movies were made. Not a good idea. This is NOT a family friendly business. Upon entering the "museum" there was only a store (clearly a tourist trap). I was OK with that. Kids like to look at stuff. They found some headsets that played western music and started to listen. From behind the counter one of the clerk starts screaming that if my kids broke it they would buy it. Now I'm OK if she were to say, "Please be careful boys, that's and expensive piece of equipment." Screaming and them like an insane person, not so effective. I might add that the equipment is precariously perched on a not so stable cabinet that could easily be knock over if bumped. We walked through the store looking, having gone in expecting to have a nice experience and prepared to buy souvenirs for our trip. The screaming soured the experience. At the back of the property there were several old movie sets where we spent a little time. No tours, no explanations, no interaction with the employees who were wondering around the property. With the sets there they really could make this a fun stop in Kanab. Instead they call their Store a MUSEUM! What a CROCK. We will not be going back and advise all we speak to SKIP IT when they make their annual trips through Kanab. It's not worth the aggravation.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park

by goingsolo Written Dec 13, 2004

Coral Pink Sand Dunes is about 10 miles north of Kanab. Located 12 miles west along a paved spur road, the park is an out of the way location that is perfect for camping or simply peaceful exploration of the area.

The sand dunes were created by the tunnelling effect of sand being blown through a pass between the mountains which border the park. The dunes get their pink color from the eroding Navajo sandstone in the area.

Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park

• Laurelea's Profile Photo

Rappelling Down So'Utah Canyon Walls!

by Laurelea Written Oct 30, 2013

A Finnish couple were returning to our tiny B&B here in Kanab, we decided to celebrate so spent a day Canyoneering/Rappelling with Seldom Seen Adventures. Oh wow, oh wow!! After our final rappell Mayank heaved a huge sigh and asked if we could start over again. Nick, Owner of SSAdventures, is a pro and obviously loves his job. He waited until he met us to determine the adventure of the day, I really appreciate that 'cause I'm fairly athletic but terrified of heights. None of us had ever gone canyoneering before, Nick & Richard tucked us under their arms and gave us the experience of a lifetime. Imagine dropping (safely) down a canyon wall, surrounded by verdant hanging gardens...I could say much, much more re; how great it was in every way. Hope you try it! They've taken people from age 6 - 78 out, Nick offers the best experiences around Bryce/Zion as well as our hidden canyons around Kanab. I still get excited thinking about it. After the rappelling adventure, I sent other guests out with Nick to discover Seldom Seen Slot Canyons and that was astounding as well.

Happy Maria is ready to go - RAPPELL! We were all dirty and VERY happy end of day! SSA took Al into a seldom seen Slot Canyon

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Buckskin Gulch

by goodfish Updated Jan 17, 2015

A big giant fail for us but I’m including this bit in case you have better luck or a greater tolerance for mud.

At somewhere around 12-13 miles in length, Buckskin is the longest, deepest slot canyon in North American and possibly in the world. As mentioned in my review for Wire Pass, the slot canyon used for access, we’d intended to make a day of it by combining that one with a few miles in and out of the gulch. I’d expected some chilly pools but we hadn’t counted on running into those almost from the get-go, or for a deep layer of grease-slick mire. The pictures above were taken before the point that it got nasty, and even here we had trouble not slipping off the driest center of the floor. Rain the before night was, I’m sure, a factor in what was probably muckier than normal conditions.

With no water source for clean-up, a rental SUV and long-ish drive back to Page, we took one look at what lay beyond this point and threw in the towel. I was beating myself up a little for being such a pansy when we ran into a couple of well-conditioned and equipped lads who’d gone a little beyond our turn-around point before giving it up themselves. They were one heck of a mess, and I felt a wee bit better about wimping out!

I’d love to give this one another go someday, and good buddy Blueskyjohn has done it as part of a multiday, 42-mile trek from Lee’s Ferry so if you want details, give him a shout. Otherwise, here’s one of the better route descriptions I’ve seen:

See my own review on the route through Wire Pass to the confluence between these two canyons:

A couple of cautions: never do this one with rain in the forecast, and make a stop at the Paria Contact Station - a couple of miles east of the turnoff to House Rock Valley Road - to check conditions before venturing in. HRV Road may also be impassable after a recent rainfall, and a high-clearance vehicle is recommended. No water or other facilities at the trailhead so bring everything you need with you. See the BLM website below for day-use fees and overnight permits.

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

Montezuma's Treasure Cave

by briantravelman Updated Apr 25, 2015

This is a cool site. The cave is located right next to the road, just north of Moqui Cave.
    The cave is located on private property, but most people go through the fence, for a closer look. We stopped on the side of the road, as it got our attention, and took some pictures. There is a small dock, picnic table, and large statue, that closely resembles the ones at Tula.
    Apparently, this flooded cave, located about 7 miles north of Kanab, UT, was the final resting place of Montezuma's gold hoard.
    I visited this site back in 2010, but had no idea about the treasure. We just stopped to take pictures, as we had never seen a flooded cave before. I thought it was just a unique geological feature, and nothing more. I only found out about the treasure recently, while watching an episode of "America Unearthed".
    How Montezuma's treasure ended up in a flooded cave in Utah, is a mystery. The legend might've come into being because of Montezuma's Castle, in the neighboring state of Arizona. Though there is no archaeological evidence to support the claim that Montezuma or the Aztecs actually made it to the American Southwest, and that's why it's exactly that, only a legend.
    Despite the lack of archaeological evidence, many believe the legend to be true. Freddie Crystal was the first person to search for the treasure, in 1914, after he found some petroglyphs in the area, and a map in a Spanish monastery, which he believed were both clues to the treasure's location. Since than, dozens of adventurous treasure hunters, including Scott Wolter, have attempted to locate the treasure, to no avail, mainly due to an underwater passageway that's too narrow for divers. There is even a legend of a curse. Several treasure hunters are believed to have died, while others have claimed to had their gear malfunction, while diving for the treasure.
    For nearly 5 centuries, the cave has kept its secret. The only way to really know what's down there, would be to drain the lake. This is not possible, as it is home to the highly endangered Kanab ambersnail, and killing just one, will get you a $5,000 fine. However, if one found the treasure, they could easily pay it off, so I guess it'd be worth it in the long run. But, I guess until the lake disappears due to natural causes, this flooded cave in the Utah desert, will keep its secret.

Many locals and none locals believe the treasure is here, while others believe it has already been found. And the curse doesn't deter the occasional treasure hunter, from hoping to strike it rich.
    Even if you're not treasure hunting, or think the legend is a load of nonsense, it's still worth stopping to take some pictures, as it is a lovely area.

Even if the cave doesn't hold any treasure, it's still an interesting local legend. If anything, it would make a great plot for the next "National Treasure" movie.

To learn more about the legend of Montezuma's treasure, click on the link below, watch "America Unearthed", or talk to Lex Chamberlain at Moqui Cave.

Flooded Cave Desert Oasis Replica Of Tula Statue
    • Photography
    • Desert

• Working with animals

by Hoosierustraveler Written Oct 31, 2005

Best Friends Animal Society is the largest no kill facility ...located in Angel Canyon in a gorgeous setting...The have cottages you can rent while there, but contact ahead of time as booked well in advance. You can volunteer to work with any of the groups of animals kept there...600+ dogs, lots of cats, rabbits, turtles, birds, horses, goats, pot belly pigs, etc., etc. This is a fantastic experience for anyone who loves animals. People/staff are very caring and a lot of the animals are available for adoption so you can even help improve an animals life by adding it to your family. No animals can be taken home with you as there is an inspection process to go thru and you have to be approved. Great place to take a family vacation. Lots of history in the area as Kanab was the site of filming of many, many movies and tv shows, some sites which can only be seen in Angel Canyon.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Kanab

Comments

Kanab Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Kanab things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kanab sightseeing.