Moab Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Moab

Moab Brewery: Tasty pub and grub

by goodfish Updated Apr 20, 2015

It was good in 2004 so we came back in 2011 and 2014. This is the only microbrewery in the area and a good place to refuel and rehydrate post-hike, float, bike or climb. The menu runs to standards like salads, sandwiches, burgers and a few entrees, and the craft brew list from ales to stout. We landed in here twice: the first night for salads, and the second for the ribs we recalled as yummy 7 years earlier. Nope, they hadn't lost the touch. The Husband's gazpacho plate of greens with blackened tilapia and jalapeño cornbread, and my almond chicken with soy ginger vinaigrette were both winners, and the pork ribs with Jack Daniel's sauce were bone-suckin' wonderful. Beer? What's not to like.

Service all three times was cheerful and prompt - although it can be a busy place during the dinner hour. Vegetarian options are available for non-carnivores, and there's a kid's menu for small fry. Stop into the small retail store for picking up pint glasses, t-shirts or a growler-to-go for your campsite, or the gelato freezer up front for a cone. Open for lunch and dinner 7 days a week: come in your cargos and boots.

The head-banging music on the website's home page is a bit much but you can hit the mute button. :)

Favorite Dish: Ribs. Yummy.

Moab Brewery
    • Beer Tasting

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Milt’s Stop and Eat: Bring us your tired, your filthy, your famished...

by goodfish Updated Nov 30, 2014

We collapsed at Milt’s half dead after a very long, very hot day at Needles which left us in NO shape for civilized company. Window service and a shady outdoor patio was perfect for a couple of starving hikers while keeping our sweat-encrusted, grubby selves a polite distance from other diners. This is a local hot spot with slickrock bikers, canyoneers and river rats so they’re used to clientele in less than pristine condition: you’ll be welcome in whatever sorry state you happen to be in.

Moab’s oldest restaurant has been turning out sandwiches, malts and cones since 1954, and you’d be hard pressed to find those for a better price in town. It’s fast-ish food without the bad stuff: they use beef without yucky additives, and locally resourced veggies and dairy products. Gotta love that!

Supper was a bacon, lettuce and tomato sammie for me, a bacon-and-swiss cheeseburger for The Husband plus a shared chocolate malt and basket of hand-cut fries. I don’t know if it was really as good as we remember it or whether we were so hungry we could have eaten our boots but we devoured it ALL with the only tiny complaint being a lack of crispiness in the fries. Yep, it was yummy; much better than it looks in my snapshot.

There’s a diner-type counter inside but unless it’s raining or cold, the place to be is the patio. Or get it to go. The other plus is that it’s a few blocks off the main drag so while it can be busy, you won’t be battling the bus-tour flocks as they’re unlikely to find it.

Order at the window and they’ll call you when it’s ready. Kid-friendly (there’s some play equipment near the patio), very casual, and the bill won’t break the bank. Closed on Mondays.

Twisted Sista's Cafe: Little Somethings

by goodfish Written Nov 30, 2014

This was the new kid in town since our previous trip, and the salad selections looked good on a day we were craving some greens. There are three different dining areas: casually quirky downstairs, less quirky upstairs, and a small rooftop terrace. We snagged the last table outside and while it didn’t have much for ambiance, it did have a nice view of red-rock bluffs to the north.

This is advertised as a small plate/tapas restaurant so adjust portion expectations accordingly.

Service: prompt and friendly
    Dinner:
    Curried coconut shrimp appetizer with pineapple chili sauce
    Caramelized scallop salad with black bean and corn salsa and smoked chipotle cream
    Spinach salad with chicken, cranberries, walnuts, tomato and maple balsamic
    Couple glasses of wine

The shrimp were yummy: not heavily breaded or overcooked, and with just a touch of curry (not my favorite spice so fine with me). Our salads were good but my spinach order was pretty skimpy even for an expected "small plate"; better suited to a side than a main course. The amount of chicken was fine but it could have used a lot more greens.

Verdict: inventive, fresh and tasty but price value was a little off. The lunch menu tends to run a few dollars less if you’re on a budget and want to give this one a shot. Children's menu; gluten-free selections; bar service; seasonal hours. Like just about all restaurants in Utah, alcohol is only available with a food order.

Jailhouse Cafe: Breakfast in the Big House

by goodfish Updated Nov 24, 2014

OK so it’s not all that big, and it’s been over century since it was a slammer but one of Moab’s oldest buildings (1885) operated as the county courthouse and jail from 1892-1902. Needing a break from several weeks worth of instant oatmeal, we headed over here for a REAL breakfast one morning prior to a day on the trails.

Breakfast is all they do, and they do it very well: the place is packed unless you get there early. There’s a cozy indoor dining area, heated, covered front porch, and covered back deck for seating. Noise from heavy 191 truck traffic was audible from our table on the front porch but didn’t bother us all that much: you pretty much put up with that on any patio along the main drag.

The menu items are a little pricey but service was prompt, friendly, and they did a great job of keeping our coffee cups full while we waited for our order: classic 2-egg plate with seasoned taters and toast for me, and Southwestern Benedict with the same sides for The Husband. Complaints: zero.

Again, waits for a table can be long during the busiest hours - especially on wet/chilly/windy days when the dining room fills quickly - and it’s not for tight budgets. They do have a child’s plate, though, and portions were generous enough to keep us going until suppertime.

I’m subtracting a star for lack of a comprehensive website: all they have is a FB page with little useful information such as menu, hours, photos and seasonal opening/closing dates: you shouldn’t have to dig for this stuff.

Open every day from 7:00 - 12:00 except Tuesdays; closed during the winter months.

• Seniors

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Paradox Pizza: And the winner is...

by goodfish Written Nov 24, 2014

Still on the hunt for great pizza in Moab, we stopped into Paradox to order a pie for supper on the deck of our rental. It was just down the road, looked to be mighty busy all the time (usually a good sign), and had lots of good reviews so fingers were crossed that we’d finally hit gold.

It’s a small-ish place more geared to delivery or take-out but if you're really hungry, it has a nice scattering of tables and booths for snarfing on the spot. Their pies - 12, 14 or 18-inch - are all thin crust and loaded with house-made sauces, locally sourced meats and veggies when in season. It’s a little more expensive because of all this good stuff but they don’t skimp on it either: our Supremo was loaded with portobello ’shrooms, fresh peppers, onions and sausage. It was just slightly soggy in the middle but not enough to subtract a star.

A Paradox pie and front-row seat of the La Sals at sunset? It doesn’t get any better than that.

Pizza, salads and desserts; open every day except major holidays; delivery available; see website for hours, prices and menu. I'm not noting per-person price as that'll vary depending on size of pizza and extras - such as salads - ordered.

• Camping

Wicked Brew Drive Thru Espresso: Devilishly good

by goodfish Written Nov 22, 2014

We picked up a couple of fortifying mochas here before heading out for a day a Canyonlands and Dead Horse. Oh my. This is COFFEE: rich, creamy, and served with a smile. In a state where evil caffeine is given a cold shoulder by the Mormon masses, this little red hut brews up manna straight from heaven in the form of espresso, cappuccinos, lattes and other bean-based bliss as well as smoothies, hot chocolate and tea.

It’s fair-trade and organic too and so can be consumed guilt free - except for the calories if you go the whole-milk route. Skim, almond, soy, rice and coconut versions are also available, and a few baked goodies too. Drive-through and walk-up service daily from 6:00 - 2:00; no indoor seating.

Sinfully delicious!

Paradox Pizza: Great Pizza

by blueskyjohn Updated Jun 6, 2014

A typical pizza shop but with exceptionally good pizza. So far this is the best pizza I had in Moab. Very friendly staff. Extremely accommodating as we arrive just at closing. They still made three pies for us and let us stay to eat them. I also had a meatball appetizer that was very good.

Hours:

Saturday 3:00 – 10:00 pm
    Sunday 3:00 – 9:00 pm

Twisted Sista's Cafe: Good food at a great price

by blueskyjohn Updated Aug 10, 2013

I've seen several restaurants come and go at this location over the years. Hopefully this one survives. They have only been opened two weeks. The restaurant is two floors an very colorful. The menu is not that big but sufficient. They do advertise Tapas, but looking at the limited selection and prices it was more like appetizers.

Although it was lunch, I had the breakfast burrito. It was a bit on the small side and a little watery as you can see in the picture. It also did not come with anything. My friend had a hamburger that he liked a lot.

Favorite Dish: My breakfast burrito was very good but the portion was a little small. Still appropriate for the price which was very inexpensive.

Breakfast Burrito First floor second floor

Moab Diner: Average food but quick

by blueskyjohn Updated Aug 10, 2013

This diner is has typical diner food, with nothing really special. What is nice is they have their own parking lot so you do not have to search or walk far after parking and the food comes fast.

I ate breakfast here, the House Pancakes. But be careful! On the menu under the Pancakes description there is a line "choose your eggs: any style". Now there is no additional price for this so I think it is included. It is not. Beware.

Strangely enough for a diner, they are not open Sunday's.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Moab Brewery: Beer batter string beans!!!

by blueskyjohn Updated Aug 10, 2013

This is a Brew pub, as the name states. Larger than most with a bar to the left and a large dining room to the right. High ceilings and lots of room. At the entrance there is a little store for gifts and an ice cream vendor. There is a discount on this after your meal.

I ate once in the bar are and another night in the dining area. The wait staff are very friendly and helpful. The night in the bar I had the Honey Almond Chicken. Its very good and a lot of food.

Later in the week I ate in the dining area. After a long day of mountain biking I opted for lighter fare and ordered a special I noted on a board when you enter. It was beer batter string beans and a chipolte dipping sauce. It was out of this world great! I also ordered the Hummus plate which was equally as good.

Favorite Dish: The beer batter string bean were so incredible I am trying to make them at home. What a great, unique idea.

I also really enjoyed a dessert I had, was some type of death by chocolate. Amazing!

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Zax: All you can eat pizza

by blueskyjohn Updated Aug 10, 2013

This is a popular place. Divided into two sections, bar/restaurant. The staff are very friendly. They have a special pizza bar which is all you can eat for a little over $12. This also includes a small salad bar. They have a wide range and variety of pizza. If the pizza you want is not out on the bar, just request it and they'll make one up in 10 minutes.

However, the pizza is not that good, especially the bbq pizza, which had no bbq sauce. It was kinda strange cheese pizza with that tasted like bbq but just the cheese and chicken. I was pretty hungry and I only ended up eating 4 slices as we watched a hockey game in the bar. The slices are small so I do not think I got my monies worth.

The do have a full menu of other items besides pizza so next time I will try something else.

Favorite Dish: The pepperoni and sausage pizza was the best of the few I tried.

The Blu Pig: Nice BBQ

by blueskyjohn Updated Aug 10, 2013

This is a nice restaurant located on the main street in the south part of Moab. It has outdoor seating. The interior is very dark and has a large table for a group with blue lights that light everything. Normal lights are over the booth tables.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Also easy to find and get their attention.

I ordered the Big and Nasty appetizer and the Baby Back ribs. The ribs were way over cooked. However, the sides it came with were amazing. Perfectly cooked sweet potato and rice and beans specially done with some hot peppers. You do have many other sides to choose from, the dinner comes with two sides and corn bread muffin.

Favorite Dish: The Big and Nasty appetizer was excellent. It is a large plate of french fries, smothered in pulled pork, beans and cheese. Out of this world.

Would definitely go back just for this and the sides. Try something besides the baby back ribs.

The Big and Nasty!

Eddie McStiff's: Alot of hipe but just average

by blueskyjohn Updated Aug 10, 2013

This place has an atmosphere typical of a chain restaurant like "Fridays" or "Houlihans" but not nearly as nice. The menu is extensive but the service was average and so was the food. The do have their own beer brand. The pale ale I had was ok at first but after a bit not so much.

Favorite Dish: I only ate one meal here. For dinner I had the chili hamburger. The meat was good and cooked appropriately but the chili was a bit watery and not much of it.

Wake and Bake Cafe: Pass on the ice cream

by blueskyjohn Updated Aug 10, 2013

A very straight forward place with very small tables and little on the decor. They serve breakfast and lunch and the couple runner the place are very nice.

Favorite Dish: I only came in for the ice cream. I thought it was very plain and not much flavor. Portion was very small compared to other places.

Singha: Authentic Thai

by blueskyjohn Updated Aug 10, 2013

This is a very nice restaurant with great decor and service. The owner is very friendly. They are only open for dinner. It is a quiet place to relax and enjoy a meal. There is no outdoor seating.

The food is authentic. I eat a lot of Thai food. It is usually the first type of food I try and find. This is the only Thai food I found in Moab. It is good although the portions are just a little small. The food is served fast and hot.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the Pad Cashew Nut. It was very good. I had it served with brown rice.

Instant Answers: Moab

Comments

Moab Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Moab restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Moab sightseeing.