Monroe Travel Guide

View of the valley from the hot springs
    Big Pool
    Campground

Monroe Things to Do

Nice view of travertine, tub, pond and valley 4 more images

by Segolily Updated Jul 14, 2010

We had gone hot-tubbing at night. So the next morning before we left we went back to take a better look at what was there. There are two ponds on the property with large fish swimming around. We heard there was a turtle as well.

I followed the path of the water to the source. The distribution was totally primitive, but it worked. At the end was a hot spring bubbling up, just like in Yellowstone.

The travertine formations are really quite striking, and the water flowing into the tubs appears like it will gradually include them into it.

This feels like such a laid back place, operated on a shoestring. I hope he is able to keep it going.

Big Pool 4 more images

by Segolily Updated Jul 11, 2010

We were looking for somewhere to stop for the night and I remembered the good reports a friend had given of the hot springs in Monroe. We arrived close to dark and wanted to get set up first.

We went to the office and paid for our camp spot. The office and manager's home is in the old swimming pool complex. The swimming pool would need extensive remodel if not complete gutting and upgrading. It is currently empty. I'm not great at remembering people's names so forgive me Mr Mystic Springs, but we really enjoyed our short visit with you. You are perfect for proprietor of this place. Mr Manager also quilts and sells quilt designs.

Then we drove the short way back down the hill to the campground. This consists of a dirt parking lot for RV's and very old buses. One of which was habitable and could be rented. There is a ring of trees and inside the ring is grass for the tents. There was a picnic table, only one from what I can remember. There was also what looked like a pretty decent cabin that could also be rented. No designated spaces, just park where you want. There were a couple other tents on our Friday night. The bathroom and shower place is in the midst of a remodel job. The new tile looked nice. But you really can't expect much here, it is strictly low budget.

After setting up our tent we changed and headed back up to the office for the walk to the springs. There is no paving anywhere. On the way up the hill you pass the small grassy area where there are concerts held whenever he can get a band to stop by. We weren't able to have one our night, but the next week there were three scheduled. This is what my friend loved, he heard a bluegrass band and raved about the great time.

There are two concrete pools one with a waterfall into it. It was too cold. We went looking for warmer water. In the terrace up above there are several old clawfoot tubs set up with water from the springs trickling into them. We found the hottest water and eased into those tubs that at first I thought were kind of funky. But they actually are the perfect size and shape to allow that hot water to seep into your bones and calm your senses. We sat in the hot ones until finally they became too hot and then moved over to the just nice and warm ones. There were other people, but we were able to enjoy our little spot undisturbed for an hour or so. We watched the stars come out, we watched the lights of the valley sparkle and the traffic on I-70 roll past.

• Monroe Hotels

0 Hotels in Monroe

Monroe Restaurants

by Segolily Updated Jul 11, 2010

This nice sit down restaurant where the waitstaff wears levi's is an unexpected surprise in this little town in the middle of nowhere.

We arrived near the end of the night and it was pretty quiet. The menu had plenty of options at reasonable prices.

The helpings were really huge,,, too large if you ask me. The flavors were good, not the most up to date, but a little above standard fare.

The building was recently renovated, and the chef/owner came from California looking for a place to raise his children away from the city influence. He found it here and it is a benefit to the people of the valley.

Favorite Dish: I had the Chicken Cordon Bleu, and my son had the Prime Rib. Both were served with vegetables and salad.

Instant Answers: Monroe

Comments

Monroe Travel Guide
Map of Monroe