Mormons, Salt Lake City

• Mormons
    by spartan
  • Very exclusionary

by sms0919 Written Aug 30, 2007

As a person born and raised in Salt Lake City that was not Mormon or LDS or whatever is appropriate, I disagree with many of the statements above. First, if they know (and as has been stated they have awesome record keeping systems so, they know) you are a non-mormon they will in little ways try to get you to join their church. I was visited more times than I can count by geeky young boys trying to tell me about their scriptures. I was sent invitations to neighborhood parties that stated the location as "the Church House" or "the Stake House" (another name for a LDS church building). No address, no indication of what church house they may be talking about because there is one on every corner like 7-11's. That is purposly exclusionary and pretty much rude. I would have had to go to a neighbor I knew was Mormon and ask them where that was IF I wanted to go to a "neighborhood" party at a church.
    If you smoke strangers will openly come up to you and tell you that you should quit or that it is bad for you. They also look at you like you are the worst sinner they have ever seen and you might as well be having sex in the street.
    If you visit stay as little time as possible and try to check out Park City. It is not as bad as Salt Lake because many people their are 2nd homeowners and are not really from the state. If you visit DON'T STAY. Believe me you and your children don't want to have to live in a place that I liken to Nazi Germany, without the blood but I swear they wear those garments as a singal to the other Mormons that they are members of the club.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Cross Walk - can't be too safe....

by frankcanfly Written Oct 24, 2005

Used primarily by drunks

This really made me laugh... if you read the sign, it says:

"........ for added visability, carry orange flag across (street) with you"

Yes, they expect that you'll pick up a flag, wave it as you cross the street, and return it to a container on the other side. I never saw anyone use this, but the intention is certainly pure.

I got some funny looks when I did it.

• ruthiebaby88's Profile Photo

expect large families

by ruthiebaby88 Written Jan 21, 2003

although polygamy is illegal in utah as in most of the usa, it is overlooked. I have met openly polygamous families with 9 wives and 45 children. If you are talking with someone and ask how many children or how many brothers and sisters they have, be prepared for an uncommon response.

• spartan's Profile Photo

Founding Father

by spartan Written Aug 24, 2002

Brigham Young (1801-1877), American religious leader and colonizer of Utah. Young served as second president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, whose members are known as Mormons.

Instant Answers: Salt Lake City

Comments

Other Local Customs in Salt Lake City

View all Salt Lake City hotels