Snow Canyon State Park Favorites

by goingsolo

Best Rated Favorites in Snow Canyon State Park

Hiking in the rock mixture in Snow Canyon

great hiking in Snow Canyon

Favorite thing: The landscape in and around Snow Canyon is a mixture of different kind. It’s surrounded by the Red Mountains and White Hills, and also has a lot of black lava blocks spread around. The lava is originated from a cluster of volcanoes beyond the ground.

Fondest memory: On the picture you can see red-orange-white cliffs, surrounded by red navajo sandstone little domes, and sandy paths to hike on.
    View is to the south of the park.

Location of Snow Canyon

by Trekki Updated Sep 3, 2005

Location of Snow Canyon (by Mapquest)

Favorite thing: It's said that Snow Canyon is not easy to find - however, it shouln't be that difficult.

On the mapquest-made map you can clearly see how to get to there from Saint George:
    take the 18 (main road in western SGU) north, and simply wait to turn left at the sign.

Best time to visit Snow Canyon

Palo Verde - preparing to get ready for spring

Favorite thing: If you are into hiking and nature - the best would be to visit Snow Canyon in spring, as it must look gorgeous by then with all trees and flowers in bloom.

I was there in end of january, so still in end winter (although the region does not get too cold), but I would like to come back one day to see the blossoming :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Ivins - the town to get supplies

by Trekki Written Sep 3, 2005

Ivins - just south of the park

Favorite thing: If you had missed to get supplies - in Ivins, just south of the park, you will get everything from water, gas, food and even lodging.

Plus - it's nicely set against the red navajo sandstone mountain in the background.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

When to Visit the Park

by KimberlyAnn Written Apr 18, 2007

My Husband Hiking the Petrified Dunes

Favorite thing: Hiking along the trails within the park may be enjoyed year round; however early spring and fall are particularly popular, as the weather is usually best then, allowing you avoid the hot summers. In the summer daytime temperatures can be too hot to enjoy the park fully, sometimes reaching into the 100s, often leaving early morning as the only comfortable time to hike. The park averages about 7.5 inches of rainfall each year, and if conditions have been right spring can bring a beautiful display of colorful wild flowers. Winters are usually mild, and hiking can be quite comfortable, but there may be occasional cold spells. We visited Snow Canyon in January and found daytime temperatures in the 40s and low 50s.

Fondest memory: My favorite outings in Snow Canyon, were hiking the Hidden Pinyon Trail, and exploring the Petrified Dunes.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Lava Canyon Overlook

by goingsolo Written Jun 11, 2004

Lava Canyon overlook trail

Favorite thing: The lava canyon overlook is a short trail leading to some interesting lava caves. The trail is about 1 1/2 miles long and the caves can be found after about 1/2 mile. They're pretty much sunken into the ground and its easy to miss them.

• aussie79's Profile Photo

Ski until you can't ski...

by aussie79 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Ski until you can't ski anymore!

Fondest memory: Living through skiing at 'The Bird.' At the end of my day, I was taking my last run, and I could feel the burn in my quads as they were feeling like they would explode. My dad and I skiied together that day and there was one point where we fell simultaneously. I called over to him on my talkabout radio telling him I had fallen, he replied 'me too.' I then let him know I wanted to die, and that maybe it was time for some hot cocoa. Snowbird was so much of a challenge I earned going to see the masseuse afterwards.

• aussie79's Profile Photo

I just went to Snowbird and I...

by aussie79 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: I just went to Snowbird and I was so lucky! I hit an awesome sale for ski gear! Summer is the ideal time to buy ski gear. Unfortunately for me, I'm very short so I have to use shorter skis. For those who ski, you know what issues I have....short skis are very popular for beginners and rarely go on sale. My dad was able to buy new Rossignol skis for only $100.00 but he also skis on a 190-200cm ski. My skis are 152cm and they cost me $300.00. I was still pretty dang happy about this because they were originally $600.00. I feel I accomplished something! Summer is when the ski shops discount heavily and some great buys are found!

• Trekki's Profile Photo

leave nothing but footsteps :-)

by Trekki Updated Sep 2, 2005

Snow Canyon - footprints

Favorite thing: The southwestern desert, as all of other nature environment is very fragile to human "contact".
    Therefore, also here:
    take nothing but pictures;
    leave nothing but footsteps.

:-)

• Adventure Travel

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Slickrock

by goingsolo Written Jun 11, 2004

slickrock forms these small mountains

Favorite thing: Hiking on slickrock is actually a lot of fun. The surface is smooth and has good traction. Its easy to get up and down these small mountains.

Instant Answers: Snow Canyon State Park

Comments

Snow Canyon State Park Favorites

Reviews and photos of Snow Canyon State Park favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Snow Canyon State Park sightseeing.

View all Snow Canyon State Park hotels