Snow Canyon State Park Favorites

• Spotted Towhee Digging Near the Campground Road
    Spotted Towhee Digging Near the...
    Visitor Center at Snow Canyon
    My Husband Hiking the Petrified Dunes

Best Rated Favorites in Snow Canyon State Park

Hiking in the rock mixture in Snow Canyon

by Trekki Written Sep 3, 2005

Favorite thing: The landscape in and around Snow Canyon is a mixture of different kind. It’s surrounded by the Red Mountains and White Hills, and also has a lot of black lava blocks spread around. The lava is originated from a cluster of volcanoes beyond the ground.

Fondest memory: On the picture you can see red-orange-white cliffs, surrounded by red navajo sandstone little domes, and sandy paths to hike on.
    View is to the south of the park.

great hiking in Snow Canyon

Location of Snow Canyon

by Trekki Updated Sep 3, 2005

Favorite thing: It's said that Snow Canyon is not easy to find - however, it shouln't be that difficult.

On the mapquest-made map you can clearly see how to get to there from Saint George:
    take the 18 (main road in western SGU) north, and simply wait to turn left at the sign.

Location of Snow Canyon (by Mapquest)

Best time to visit Snow Canyon

by Trekki Written Sep 3, 2005

Favorite thing: If you are into hiking and nature - the best would be to visit Snow Canyon in spring, as it must look gorgeous by then with all trees and flowers in bloom.

I was there in end of january, so still in end winter (although the region does not get too cold), but I would like to come back one day to see the blossoming :-)

Palo Verde - preparing to get ready for spring

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Ivins - the town to get supplies

by Trekki Written Sep 3, 2005

Favorite thing: If you had missed to get supplies - in Ivins, just south of the park, you will get everything from water, gas, food and even lodging.

Plus - it's nicely set against the red navajo sandstone mountain in the background.

Ivins - just south of the park

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

When to Visit the Park

by KimberlyAnn Updated Apr 11, 2015

Favorite thing: Hiking along the trails within the park may be enjoyed year round; however early spring and fall are particularly popular, as the weather is usually best then, allowing you avoid the hot summers. In the summer daytime temperatures can be too hot to enjoy the park fully, sometimes reaching into the 100s, often leaving early morning as the only comfortable time to hike. The park averages about 7.5 inches of rainfall each year, and if conditions have been right spring can bring a beautiful display of colorful wild flowers. Winters are usually mild, and hiking can be quite comfortable, but there may be occasional cold spells. We visited Snow Canyon in January and found daytime temperatures in the 40s and low 50s. Returning another year in March, we enjoyed weather in the 60s.

Fondest memory: I love hiking the wonderful trails in this beautiful red rock country, as well as watching out for birds. My greatest joy was seeing a peregrine falcon flying overhead! My very favorite bird, which I rarely see in the wild.

My Husband Hiking the Petrified Dunes Spotted Towhee Digging Near the Campground Road

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Lava Canyon Overlook

by goingsolo Written Jun 11, 2004

Favorite thing: The lava canyon overlook is a short trail leading to some interesting lava caves. The trail is about 1 1/2 miles long and the caves can be found after about 1/2 mile. They're pretty much sunken into the ground and its easy to miss them.

Lava Canyon overlook trail

• aussie79's Profile Photo

Ski until you can't ski...

by aussie79 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Ski until you can't ski anymore!

Fondest memory: Living through skiing at 'The Bird.' At the end of my day, I was taking my last run, and I could feel the burn in my quads as they were feeling like they would explode. My dad and I skiied together that day and there was one point where we fell simultaneously. I called over to him on my talkabout radio telling him I had fallen, he replied 'me too.' I then let him know I wanted to die, and that maybe it was time for some hot cocoa. Snowbird was so much of a challenge I earned going to see the masseuse afterwards.

• aussie79's Profile Photo

I just went to Snowbird and I...

by aussie79 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: I just went to Snowbird and I was so lucky! I hit an awesome sale for ski gear! Summer is the ideal time to buy ski gear. Unfortunately for me, I'm very short so I have to use shorter skis. For those who ski, you know what issues I have....short skis are very popular for beginners and rarely go on sale. My dad was able to buy new Rossignol skis for only $100.00 but he also skis on a 190-200cm ski. My skis are 152cm and they cost me $300.00. I was still pretty dang happy about this because they were originally $600.00. I feel I accomplished something! Summer is when the ski shops discount heavily and some great buys are found!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Where to Find Information In the Park

by KimberlyAnn Updated Apr 12, 2015

Favorite thing: For information stop at the small visitor center located at the campground. Here you will find people to answer your questions, helpful hand outs, and a small section to purchase such items as Snow Canyon shirts, hats, post cards, books, children's items, and other souvenir type items. There is also a small display giving you interesting facts about the wildlife in the park. The center is generally open daily at 8 a.m., though closing times may vary.

Fondest memory: I love the stunning red-rock country, and the variety of hikes available, each with its own special beauty.

Visitor Center at Snow Canyon

• Trekki's Profile Photo

leave nothing but footsteps :-)

by Trekki Updated Sep 2, 2005

Favorite thing: The southwestern desert, as all of other nature environment is very fragile to human "contact".
    Therefore, also here:
    take nothing but pictures;
    leave nothing but footsteps.

:-)

Snow Canyon - footprints
    • Adventure Travel

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Slickrock

by goingsolo Written Jun 11, 2004

Favorite thing: Hiking on slickrock is actually a lot of fun. The surface is smooth and has good traction. Its easy to get up and down these small mountains.

slickrock forms these small mountains

Instant Answers: Snow Canyon State Park

Comments

Snow Canyon State Park Favorites

Reviews and photos of Snow Canyon State Park favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Snow Canyon State Park sightseeing.

View all Snow Canyon State Park hotels