Burlington Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by nicolaitan

Most Recent Restaurants in Burlington

• DanBurney2011's Profile Photo

Big Fatty's BBQ: " Best BBQ in Burlington "

by DanBurney2011 Written Jul 28, 2011

Let's start by saying I'm somewhat of a BBQ fanatic, and have my own smoker at home. In every city I visit, I go in search of the best Smoked BBQ in town, and this is how we found Big Fatty’s BBQ, first off the smoked smell attracted me and my wife from blocks away so we had to stop in and try the food. This is where I met Alex Wilson, proprietor and head smoker.

Looking at the menu we finally decided on a Chicken and Pulled Pork combo plate so that we could try two different types of BBQ, the portions were generous and was plenty for the 2 of us, and the price was great, after swapping smoke tips with Alex, we were convinced that we needed to come back on Wednesday to try the Smoked Brisket.

On Wednesday we returned where we were greeted by Alex, who was pleasantly surprised to see us again as I had warned him that we would be back to try the Smoked Brisket. They only have brisket on Wednesday, And I HIGHLY Recommend going there on a Wednesday just for this. The Brisket had the perfect crust on the outside, and was juicy and tender. I wish they made it everyday! If so I would have returned a 3rd time for more Brisket. Also try the Pecan Pie !!

All and All I give Big Fatty’s BBQ 41/2 out of 5 stars for the food and the friendliness, as I really enjoyed being able to talk with Alex extensively about smoking and BBQ, this is a guy who cares about his customers and it showed, do your self a favor and try Burlington's Best Smoked BBQ and visit Big Fatty’s

Thanks, Alex
    Dan & Yvette

Favorite Dish: The Brisket had the perfect crust on the outside, and was juicy and tender. I wish they made it everyday!

• Business Travel

• Over60's Profile Photo

Big Fattys BBQ: Hope for Visiting Southerners

by Over60 Updated Jul 15, 2011

This restaurant located between downtown Burlington and the lake serves up a pretty good approximation of southern barbeque. My wife and I sampled the shredded pork, ribs, and barbeque chicken, and the first two were top notch. Good slaw too. The portions were enormous, and this is definitely not a place for those fixated on their waistlines or blood chemistry, but it was a nice reminder of home and comfort food.

The only drawback was lack of AC on a warm summer day.

Favorite Dish: Ribs, large, meaty, and tasty

• nyceagle1633's Profile Photo

Panadero Bakery: Awesome Bakery in Burlington VT June 2011

by nyceagle1633 Written Jun 26, 2011

They have sandwiches now, however, they only make 1 type a day, which is great, so ingrediants are fresh. The sandwich with focaccia bread, mozz, basil leaves, and salami, superb! Also they have excellent tarts.

• nyceagle1633's Profile Photo

Panadero Bakery: Awesome Bakery in Burlington VT June 2011

by nyceagle1633 Written Jun 26, 2011

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Shanty on the Shore: Dining with a View

by Tom_Fields Written Oct 17, 2009
    Shanty on the Shore

The Shanty on the Shore offers fine seafood combined with a view of Lake Champlain. And, if you time it right, you can enjoy a gorgeous lake sunset while savoring your meal. This is one of Burlington's best places to eat. It's pricier than most restaurants, but worth it.

The building dates to 1833, when Isaac Nye built it to serve as a dry good store. Later, James Wakefield made it into a shop for yacht fixtures, tents, and wagon covers. The Lake Champlain Transportation Company owned it for some years, using it as an office. It opened as a restaurant in 1985.

Favorite Dish: No matter how hungry you are, the Captain's Feast will fill you up. It's enough for two moderately hungry people.

• Luxury Travel

Smokejacks: Fabulous Brunch Food

by sarahandgareth Updated Jul 1, 2008

We tried to get in here for dinner the night we arrived but due to a local theater event there wasn't a table available, which was very disappointing since their dinner menu - especially the long and unusual cheese list - looked fabulous (the restaurant name implies something much more like a burger/steak joint, which is not the case). Next day, though, we were unable to resist the idea of brunch instead, and although we didn't get to indulge in the cheese (much of it locally sourced) the food was excellent, and almost made up for the previous evening's disappointment. Several of the dishes were breakfast standards - eggs Benedict - with a little twist, and they seemed to make a real effort to feature local ham and dairy products, which is always nice (it was a little early in the year for Vermont veggies!). We also sampled a very bold Bloody Mary, made with Thai spices, which certainly woke us up!

Scuffer Steak and Ale Restaurant: Steak 'n' beer

by sarahandgareth Written Jul 1, 2008

We have to be honest and admit that this was not our first choice for dinner: due to an event that had many people in town we weren't able to get a space at our first choice restaurant, and we ended up picking Scuffer's partly because the wait wasn't as long and we were getting awfully hungry!

This was a pretty new place when we dined there - less than a year old, from what we could tell - and it seemed to us that they were still working out the kinks in terms of dealing with large crowds: the service was a bit slow, and there were long delays. However, their steaks were very decent, well prepared and nicely served, and all three dinners were, in the end, pretty tasty; the restaurant isn't all that distinctive, but they generally deliver on what they promise in food terms.

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

Uncommon Grounds: Tasty beans!

by sarahandgareth Written Jul 1, 2008

Near where we live, there's a coffee spot called Common Grounds, so we had to try their unofficial country cousin, Uncommon Grounds. This is a very long cafe on Church St: the place seems to stretch back and back, with a very long service counter featuring plenty of baked goods. It seemed like a very popular spot with students and professors: we saw much studying and correction of papers (as well as some people doing their taxes: it was that time of year!). The coffee was very decent, and we enjoyed our scones; the only downside was that the cashier seemed awfully abrupt with us. Perhaps she should have had a cup of the dark roast first!

• A Single Pebble: Finest Asian Between New York & Montreal!

by work2much Written Feb 5, 2008

The food here is simply incredible. Fresh ingredients and a creative menu to please any vegetarian, omnivore or carnivore. Good wine selection and slate of specialty cocktails. Ask for a romantic table for two or enjoy with a group of friends. Tables in the middle or back room are preferable - especially on a cold winter night. Be sure to make a reservation.

Favorite Dish: The mock duck appetizer is to die for! You can't go wrong with anything on the menu but don't miss this one. Plenty for two to share.

• Business Travel

• Travmad's Profile Photo

Vermont Pub and Brewery: What better than beer?

by Travmad Written Aug 31, 2007

After spending a couple of unbelievably strange hours in Montpelier with special needs folks we needed a beer so stumbling upon the Vermont Brewery while in Burlington was a nice end to the day. There is ample, comfy outdoor seating when the weather is on your side, remember this is Vermont. The staff was engaging smiling and helpful even while busy. I would recommend if your in Burlington give this place a try if not to eat try their beer. They have an IPA that is hoppier than hop flowers themselves. The bitter was Ok and the stout (cask poured) would be better on an autumn arvo.

Favorite Dish: I can't say that the food here is to die for but it is good pub food all the same. I enjoyed a plate of bangers and mash washed down with a Ethan Alien lager and chased with a Bombay Grab IPA.

• Beer Tasting
    • Singles

• NECI Commons: Gone!

by NaninVT Written Aug 25, 2007

Sorry, but NECI Commons closed up shop last winter. We locals miss it - it was a great place to eat and had a wonderful atmosphere. New restaurant opened up in that spot called Adrianas Restaurant. I haven't tried it yet but many friends have and they give it a great recommendation!

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

Applebees: eat right.....

by davecallahan Updated Mar 24, 2007

I like restaurants that serves down-sized meals because I am not what you'd call a big eater.
    Applebees offers many of their menu items in portions made just for me. I chose the Grilled Italian Chicken and received a large plate with just enough lettuce, chicken, cheese and additives to fill me without feeling overstuffed or having to take a doggie-bag (which is a waste when you are on vacation). My wife is the better eater in the family so she went for the signature plate of BBQ Riblets. Five napkins later she had finished the whole plate.

The restaurant has many wooden booths and tables placed in a wide U around a central bar that has stools and mini-tables for those that want to sit uncomfortably. I prefer the room in a booth and the little bit of privacy it gives you too. The place was not too busy and not too noisy, so we could easily carry on a conversation while we ate (some places are so loud that that is not possible when it is busy).
    The waitress was smiley but not over-friendly; she was efficient but busy because there was only one other waitress on duty at the time. The tables were clean and equipped with utensils wrapped in a napkin. The service was prompt and the waitress asked us several times if we wanted "more to drink?" and "how was everything?".

We had a late lunch for under $25 including tax and tip (the motel newspaper has coupons for Applebees).

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

The Daily Planet: yuppie place to eat

by davecallahan Updated Mar 24, 2007

fajita

This is yuppie decor: two rooms that open up bigger on the inside than on the outside; steel and chrome and graphic arts on the wall in one area; wood booths and chairs in the other room with plastic table cloths; half the place is dedicated to the drinkers in the crowd.

They serve dinners only and you can call ahead for reservations or take-out.
    The food is from a wide selection on the menu which includes appetizers, wines, salads, soups, main course and desserts. (for a view of what is current on the menu see MENU option on website below). We had small Caesar Salads with a Chicken Fajita for me and a Planet Burger for my wife. They were a little over-cooked but I like well-done meat so it wasn't any problem. We split a Brownie Ala Mode and washed it down with my coffee and her Earl Grey.

Dinner for two for $30 is pretty cheap nowadays.

The staff were friendly, the service was good, the place was a bit noisy because of the large crowd of people at the bar but the wall to the dining area blocked some of the noise. If you are looking for a romantic dinner, this is not the place. But if you are looking for good food at reasonable prices in a lively atmosphere, then you better sit yourself down here.

• snakecitygirl's Profile Photo

Trattoria Delia: The Best Restaurant in Burlington, Hands down !

by snakecitygirl Written Jan 15, 2007

The first time I went here to eat I thought I'd slipped through a space-time warp and ended up in Firenze in the 1980s. Don't be frightened away when you see that the entrance is just a small doorway on a side street ... it leads down into a beautifully decorated cellar ... and then the smells will hit you and you'll realize you've just arrived in heaven. And wait until you taste the food, the ultimate verification, this has to be heaven.
    The owner-chef & his wife journey annually back to Italy to troll for food ideas, recipes & wines ... and the food is, quite simply, to die for.
    Enjoy ! Mange !

Favorite Dish: ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING I'VE EVER EATEN HERE HAS BEEN DEVINE !

• Wine Tasting

• abajan's Profile Photo

Al's French Frys: Oil & Lube Job Institution

by abajan Updated Apr 25, 2005

With an hour and a half before our departure from Burlington international Airport, our friend said "How do you feel about visiting an institution?" I thought, "I'm hungry, get me some food." but I said "OK". Luckily, Al's French Frys at 1251 Williston Road in South Burlington (5 minutes from the airport) was the institution. We queued up and walked thru the metal maze that led to the register. Hmmmm, the place smelled yummy. Burgers. French frys (cup, quart or pint). Chicken. Hot Dogs. Onion Rings. In short, a cholesterol filled nirvana. Nothing chosen on this menu is a bad choice beyond personal preference. The staff is helpful and friendly. and the "modern-looking" 50's style diner look makes Al's all the more cozier. I was well sated. Small choice for vegetarians and no choice for vegans. Sorry guys.

Favorite Dish: I personally tried the double-cheeseburger with a pint o' frys and a lemonade. The burger was not dry and the cheese melted just right. The frys were not too salty AND to boot there was vinegar on each table in case you don't fancy the ketchup. In all, I was thoroughly impressed.

Instant Answers: Burlington

Comments

Burlington Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Burlington restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Burlington sightseeing.