Places to eat in Vermont

Most Viewed Restaurants in Vermont

• PupDawg's Profile Photo

Ben and Jerry's Factory: Ice Cream and a Graveyard

by PupDawg Written Jan 16, 2012

No dogs allowed inside, but the grounds have some interesting things to see. The Flavor Graveyard is up the hill but worth the walk. There is nothing special about the ice cream here versus any other Ben and Jerry's ice cream shop. The staff was mostly teenagers that seemed to want to prepare for closing rather than assist customers, which was disappointing for such a tourist destination.

• The Greenhurst Inn, Bethel VT: The best brunch in Vermont!

by christyna50 Written Sep 28, 2011

The Greenhurst is a wonderful place in so many ways. I have watched this large, beautiful home take many shapes over the years, and it really seems like the current management got it right!

The home is located on a beautiful plot of land, central in Bethel, but tucked away enough to feel secluded. It is perfectly kept, beautifully restored with the original fireplaces, wood floors, etc. I was shocked to see such beauty inside this home! We hope to find out during our next visit the detailed history of the house.

I want to really focus on the restaurant. What a great dining experience. I feel that these types of experiences are few and far between, as I live on a budget in VT, where food is good sometimes only if you can fork over the money. Bethel is not the food capital of anywhere, so I was not necessarily expecting a lot. I certainly was misled by preconceived notions.

This was one of those never-to-be-forgotten brunch experiences. We were standing at the door waiting for the place to open, and to our benefit, they let us in 5 mins early. We sat in a window seat and watched the leaves fall off the trees and enjoyed a cool breeze. I ordered the lobster benedict, and the two I was with ordered the hamburger (yes! have this for breakfast here!!). The food was amazing! An entire lobster on my plate, and homemade pickles came with the hamburger. These are the touches I love to see in VT, yet so rarely do see.

I will spare the details, as I can get long-winded. Stay and eat at the Greenhurst Inn. You will be delighted!

Favorite Dish: Lobster Benedict - A whole lobster for breakfast, who can resist!!!

• Astrobuck's Profile Photo

Pie In The Sky: The best pizza in Vermont

by Astrobuck Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place...let me tell you....I have never had a pizza as good as this. This place is absolutely the best restaurant in Vermont, hands down. Even though I ordered to go, going in to pick it up made me see what a nice atmosphere this place has. Wood fired pizza, beer, the works. This place is a must dine!

Try the pineapple and canadian bacon pizza......very good.

They also have any combination you can think of, they have it!! (I'm partial to the hawaiian BBQ myself).

• Carrieshiscameras's Profile Photo

Simon Pearce: Beautiful setting. Fabulous food,

by Carrieshiscameras Updated Feb 6, 2011

Just east of Woodstock is Quechee. On the river in an old brick building is Simon Pearce glassworks and restaurant. We had a fabulous lunch in the glass-enclosed room that juts out over the river and dam. The glassworks downstairs is very interesting and the gift shop is filled with beautiful things.
    We didn't know about Quechee when we were driving around Vermont and feel very lucky that we stopped. We stood on the covered bridge while my husband took photos. When I got bored of the photos, I told him I was going to walk over and see what that white building was. That's when we found Simon Pearce, apparently after everyone else! We had a short wait for a table at lunch, but it would be well worth a long wait. There is plenty to see in the building.
    We told our waiter that it was the perfect Vermont day with clouds and blue sky, the river and dam, and sheep on the hill. The waiter said if we came back in the evening, we would probably see hot air balloons, too.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant describes its food as "Creative American" and there is a commitment to using local products like cheese, poultry, beer, etc.
    From bread to dessert, everything we had was special. My husband loved his cheese soup and Shepard's Pie. I enjoyed the Mediterranean Lamb Burger. The menu features upscale versions of familiar items made from fine ingredients.

Arvad's: A Nice Streetside Cafe

by WheninRome Written Nov 21, 2006

This was actually our second dinner choice for our one evening in Waterford. Our first choice, The Alchemist (a brewpub) had a one hour plus wait to be seated and it was only a Sunday night. The pints of microbrew looked good, but I wasn't up to drinking for an hour before dinner (I know - I'm getting old).

So, we went to Arvad's, which was a very nice cafe with no wait. We had dinner on the covered front porch patio and watched thunderstorms roll through, along with teens and twenty-somethings thinking they were teens cruise up and down the main drag. Some things don't change no matter where you live.

No pictures unfortunately.

Favorite Dish: I had a bison burger and my wife had a grilled chicken salad.

I also had a microbrew (LongTrail I think). Unfortunately, they didn't carry any of The Alchemist's beers.

Good food at reasonable prices; what more can one ask for?

Black Angus Steak House: Great Steak

by WheninRome Written Nov 19, 2006

This is going to sound a bit odd, but three years ago my wife had the best steak of her life at this restaurant. Prime rib was the special, we were both going to order it, she got the last one, and I got fish. She gave me one bite and it was the tenderest, juiciest, most melt in your mouth steak either of us had ever eaten. It has become the standard bearer upon which all steaks are judged (by the way, we have a little butcher shop by our home in Cleveland that has great cuts of meat, but nothing as good as that prime rib).

On this trip neither of us got the prime rib, they had sold competely out already. It doesn't take a genius to know to stock more prime rib. Oh well, maybe it was for the best, maybe it could never be as good as the first time.

We each ordered different types of steaks which were mediocre. We will probably swing back through the Woodstock area in a couple years. I still want that prime rib.

Favorite Dish: PRIME RIB

• realde14's Profile Photo

Smokejacks: Fresh fish and excellent cheese in Burlington

by realde14 Written Nov 5, 2006

Smokejacks, located on Burlington's main culinary artery Church street offers some excellent smoked fish specialties as well as an excellent american-made cheese list. For anyone that thought that there is only Cheddar cheese in the US, stop by at Smokejacks!

• WheninRome's Profile Photo

Fish Tails Restaurant: Great local Cafe.

by WheninRome Written Sep 5, 2006

This little diner in Vermont was a wonderful surprise. After running rain-soaked from the Adirondacks in up-state New York we stopped at this unassuming diner for a late breakfast on our way to Waterford, Vermont. My wife and I were the only vacationers and it showed, but the locals were all very polite. The service was OK and the food fantastic. We each had very large and very delicious omelettes. They were out of homefries, which many of the regulars were grumbling about so they must have been pretty good.

The decor consistd almost entirely of pictures of customers showing off prized catches, most likely from neighboring Lake Champlain, and a wall with a few vintage fishing lures. This was a great piece of Americana.

• paulapes's Profile Photo

The Skunk Hollow Tavern...it's...

by paulapes Updated Aug 16, 2006

The Skunk Hollow Tavern...it's definitely off the beaten path, and how could I resist a place with a name like that! Apparently it's a favorite of locals, because everyone seemed to know everyone else. But we didn't feel out of place...our waitress was very friendly and sat right down with us to discuss the menu selections.
    Very homey, comfortable, relaxed. Prices were very reasonable also.

Favorite Dish: I had a cajun rubbed chicken that was terrific! Hope they still have it if we ever get back there again.

• Osmun79's Profile Photo

Babba Louis bakery: Little Bakery with good pastries

by Osmun79 Written Mar 25, 2006

Baba Louis has been part of my life since I was a little kid. Originally located in Ludlow near Okemo resort, they have since moved into a renovated barn just north of Lover's Lane in Chester. If your on your way to Okemo or going through Chester to head north, it pays to stop buy for a cup of coffee or cappucino and some pastries.

Favorite Dish: The sticky-buns here have one acclaim in Vermont magazine and Cooking Light. They are made fresh and are HUGE, being best served hot with a little butter. Make sure you stock up on Napkins!

The Macaroons and Banana Bread are also excellent choices.

• Carliegirl's Profile Photo

Smokejack's: Awesome local food!

by Carliegirl Written Oct 4, 2005

My husband and I found this Burlington gem on our way through Vermont on a driving tour. It was my husband's birthday and he wanted steak. We were referred to Smokejack's. We had a late night (8:oo or so) dinner on a Saturday.
    We started out with large cups of hot mulled cider to warm our insides while we awaited our meals. Usually when I'm served hot cider or cocoa at a restaurant it is so hot that I burn my tongue with the first sip, not so here...they had the temperature down to an art. The cider was pleasantly toasty but not at all uncomfortable. Each mug also had a thick slice of orange floating in the brew which added a wonderful note of flavor. I have to say that these people know their Vermont cheeses! They have a special menu of fresh local specialty cheeses. Every option looked great. We ended up too full to order cheese, but hopefully we'll be able to come back . We split the grilled flatbread and roasted garlic appetizer. The garlic was roasted to perfection, it was so soft that it spread like butter. The flatbread had a wonderful texture, just lightly chewy and crispy on the edges and a wonderful sprinkling of seasonings that was complimented by the smoky overtones of the grill. Yummy! It was served with a lovely local cheese which perfectly coupled with the garlic. The entree we tried was the grilled angus ribeye steak. We loved it! It was served with a red wine sauce, a whole roasted onion and garlic mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes were fragrant and obviously not reconstituted "fake" potatoes, but the real thing! The steak was perfectly cooked, juicy, tender and full of flavor! We couldn't have been happier!
    The ambiance of Church Street made our late night outdoors dinner great fun. The street was a bustling hubub of college students, lovers, hot dog salesmen, and musicians. There was always something to watch!

Here are the hours:
    Lunch Mon-Fri 11am-3pm;
    Dinner Daily 5pm-10:30pm;
    Brunch Sat-Sun 10am-2pm

Favorite Dish: Our favorite dish had to be the steak. It was wonderful! We were so pleased that we ordered it. The chef knows how to handle meat without mistreating it, and he obviously knows how to select a good cut as well! Well done.

• Bregman's Profile Photo

Ben & Jerries

by Bregman Updated Apr 11, 2005

Not really a restaurant, but you mustn't miss it. When in Vermont do not forget to pay a visit to the Ben & Jerries ice cream factory. Here you can have a tour of the factory, and more importantly, have some free samples.

Favorite Dish: Ice Cream!

• chodearm's Profile Photo

TC's: Home of Olympic Gold Medalist Kelly Clark

by chodearm Written Jan 4, 2005

I asked the waitress to have the cook PULL some PORK for me and throw it into a KAISER ROLL but only after a sip of Yuki's NE CLAM CHOWDER. Oh, and I would like to start this gastronomical session with a brewski, how about some MAGIC HAT, it's on tap right? My question session furthered with discovery of TRIVIA PURSUIT cards mid-table, I answered all with DICK TRACEY and ELVIS, use when not sure. The walls were littered in KELLY CLARK memorabilia, results of proud parentals, giving flair to a restaurant with nothing much more. The decoration had more attention paid than the food that tried decorating the plate and later decorating the toilet of the VT Haus. TC to me just made me reminsce of T&C Surf Design, a nintendo game from the early 90's.

Favorite Dish: Magic Hat Beer, get local flavor.

• Beer Tasting

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

McNeill's Brewery.: McNeill's Brewery.

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 9, 2003

One of the best brewpubs in the whole United States. Twelve beers on tap including three cask-conditioned ales served via handpump. I had just been to Dusseldorf to sample the original Uerige Alt and this place comes the closest to duplicating that world classic. On my most recent trip, Doreen drove me there from my aunt's house in New Hampshire. She was sweet and did not drink much so I could. :) On this occassion they had an amazing Imperial Stout that was not only potent but chock full of roasty flavor too.

Favorite Dish: Hey, I didn't eat there, but you can bring stuff in from this great veggie place up the road!

• Beer Tasting

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Little Harry's: A Chance for Some Great Thai Food

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jul 15, 2003

Little Harry's is located in a non-descript building located in downtown Rutland, VT. However, the interior is well decorated and has a very warm atmosphere. The menu is varied but Thai food is one of their specialities, the interesting thing being that Harry is not from Thailand. Despite that, the reputation of the cuisine served is excellent.

Favorite Dish: We tried a Thai pasta dish with a shrimp sauce - it was excellent but also very filling. Since we are not "bulk" eaters, the single dish was sufficient for our needs! With a couple of beers and wine, the meal cost $36 including the tip.

• Business Travel

Manchester Hotels
Montpelier Hotels
43 Reviews - 83 Photos

Instant Answers: Vermont

Comments

Vermont Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Vermont restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vermont sightseeing.
Map of Vermont