Stowe Restaurants

Delicious meal at Harrison's

Most Recent Restaurants in Stowe

Cafe on Main: Great for a light lunch

At Cafe on Main in Stowe, VT

On our last day in Stowe, we decided to grab something light to eat for lunch just as we were about to hit the road for the trip back home. I'd spotted Cafe on Main before and thought it might be a good place to go, and I was right! We both ordered the soup & sandwich combo (there were several options to choose from, and I selected the curried lentil soup & curry chicken salad sandwich while Sylvain went for the potato leak soup & roastbeef sandwich), and it made for an absolutely delicious light fare. What a good way to end of holiday in Stowe!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Gracie's: Very good, but could be even better

by Jefie Updated Jan 28, 2014

Sylvain at Gracie's in Stowe, VT

We decided to head up Mountain Road for our last dinner in Stowe, and to help me choose from the several restaurants located in the area, I looked up some online reviews and ended up picking Gracie's. Again, we were taken to a great table right by the fire place, so the evening was off to a good start. The entire staff was very friendly, and we got a kick out of the dog-themed dining room. It was a bit corny, but it didn't take much away from the cosy atmosphere of the place, and besides it suited the restaurant which is described as a casual, family-friendly one. They brought a basket of homemade bread along with our wine, and it was soooo good! For dinner I had the chicken jambalaya, while Sylvain ordered the Waldorf salad. It was good, but we ended up switching plates halfway through our meal because mine was a tad too spicy and the sweet and salty taste of Sylvain's salad was a bit much to handle. So while it wasn't bad at all, it would have been better had the chef followed the simple rule that says sometimes less is more.

The Reservoir: Lovely place for lunch in Waterbury

by Jefie Written Jan 28, 2014

Roasted beet salad with grilled chicken

I decided to spend the second day of our holiday exploring the Waterbury area, and reached the village just in time for lunch. I took a quick look around Main Street and spotted no less than four pubs located around the same street corner, and opted for one called The Reservoir, also known as The Rez. It looked rather big from the outside, but the restaurant is actually rather small and very cosy. Since I was on my own, the hostess took me to a table located in a small bay window so I could watch people go by. With the snow gently falling down, it has to be one of the most relaxing meal I've ever had! I ordered the roasted beet salad - something that seems to be a bit of a local specialty since it's featured on most restaurants' menus - and it was absolutely delicious! To complete the experience, my waitress was very attentive and friendly. She made sure I never ran out of the coffee I so badly needed to warm myself up!

• Beer Tasting

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Harrison's: Fantastic place for a romantic dinner!

Delicious meal at Harrison's

This restaurant was located across the street from our hotel, but if it hadn't been for the reviews I read, I don't think I would have found it since there's only a tiny sign on the street pointing to the door that leads to the downstairs restaurant. I had made an online reservation (highly recommended) and I was charmed by the warm and cosy atmosphere of the place the moment we walked downstairs. It also helps that we were shown to a table close to the fireplace so that while we could enjoy a nice view of the restaurant, it felt like we were sitting in our own very intimate corner. I ordered the roasted sweet potato salad with grilled chicken while Sylvain went for grilled steak tips and we both very much enjoyed our meal. There was a nice selection of wine by the glass, and the plates were very nicely presented too! Our dinner at Harrison's turned out to be our best dining experience in Stowe :o)

• Jefie's Profile Photo

The Whip Bar & Grill: Great spot for lunch!

by Jefie Updated Jan 28, 2014

Yummy veggie stir fry

While Sylvain was off skiing at Mt. Mansfield, I decided to explore the village of Stowe on my own and when lunch time came around, I decided to stop at my inn's pub, the Whip Bar & Grill. I'd read reviews that said it was better for lunch than dinner, though I can't really imagine why. The hostess who greeted me was very friendly, and she took me to a nice table in the back dining room. The place was pretty quiet so my food came really fast. Service was just OK (my waiter looked bored out of his mind!), but my veggie stir fry was delicious! The atmosphere was quite pleasant, and the wooden decor definitely helped me realize I had stepped into an old and very charming New England country pub.

Depot Street Malt Shop: 50s-style diner in Stowe

by Jefie Updated Jan 27, 2014

Malt Shop on Depot Street

On our first evening in Stowe, we were looking for something fast and simple for dinner, and that's exactly what we found at the Malt Shop. This 1950s-themed diner, complete with pin-up posters and jukeboxes, offers a no-frills menu at a reasonable price. It's the perfect place to go if you're traveling with kids or if you just feel like grabbing a quick burger without having to worry about making reservations at one of Stowe's fancier pubs. The food was OK, Sylvain's blue cheese burger was served on an English muffin, which was a bit odd, but my salad was good. The hot apple cider I ordered was the perfect thing to warm me up on that cold winter day! Oh right, because at -25ºC (-15ºF), we didn't bother ordering one of their famous ice cream desserts. I've got a feeling we would have had a different appreciation for the place in the summertime!

• DonnaE's Profile Photo

Blue Donkey: Amazing Burgers!

by DonnaE Written Jul 26, 2012

Open flame grill that cooks your burger the way you want it! Honey Wheat buns that are super yummy! Burgers so big that I think it is impossible to leave there still hungry. :)
    I was there when they had a lacross tournament with over 150 teams. I went during lunch time and even though there were several orders before mine, I still got my meal in 25 minutes! The guys behind the line are great and fast! :)

Favorite Dish: I always get the Classic burger, well done with lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese and guacamole.

• dramaced's Profile Photo

The Whip Bar & Grill at the Green Mountain Inn: Great Beer and Wine List

by dramaced Updated Jun 10, 2009

Classic tavern ambience with upscale menu and first-class service. Our meal was perfectly timed and just interesting enough. Very accomodating to my 12-year-old. Portions were suprisingly generous; we both took 1/3 of our entree back to our hotel for lunch the next day. Listen to your server's recommendations--ours really helped us make the most of specials and regular menu items for a relaxing memorable meal.

Reservations are a must for weekends and the ski season.

The bar, which serves a nice selection of microbrews, looked like a good spot to socialize.

Favorite Dish: Gorgonzola Crusted Filet Mignon
    grilled Black Angus filet, Gorgonzola cheese, fresh herbs, roasted shallot demi-glace, white truffle-scented mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables $29.95

I would seriously consider driving to Vermont to have the truffle-scented mashed again...and the filet was everything you hope for but seldom get: a very generous cut of meat, cooked medium-rare to perfection: slightly crusted outside and pink but warm inside, with an excellent herbed gorgonzola and flavorful but not overpowering demi-glace.

• zepdude's Profile Photo

The Shed Restaurant and Brewery: Want a good burger and onion soup?

by zepdude Updated Mar 21, 2008

The Shed has been an institution in Stowe since way back before I attended college nearby, and that was in the late 1970's. I am a new member of VT and when I visited the Stowe site, I couldn't believe that no one has mentioned this place. My friends and I would drive an hour just to have a couple of beers and their trademark 'Shed Burger.' My wife and I recently visited Stowe (for the first time in over twenty years. She had never seen my old stomping grounds) and I made the Shed a "must stop." Now she is a big fan! My advice: stop in for a bowl of onion soup and a shedburger. You won't be disappointed.

Favorite Dish: The Shed Burger - made with beer and served on an english muffin. And, it's HUGE.
    The onion soup - served in a crock with three different kinds of the world famous Vermont cheddar cheese melted on top.
    For beer lovers: They have their own microbrewery

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Spa and Resort

• shotmama's Profile Photo

Von Trapp Lodge: Wonderful atmosphere and food!

by shotmama Written Sep 25, 2007

The restaurant at the Von Trapp Lodge sets atop a mountain that affords its visitors a breath taking view. The food was delicious, the service was top-notch and the view was just the icing on the cake. It was one of the most romantic dinners I have ever had. Hope your experience is as nice as mine.

• Spa and Resort

• Cliff House Restaurant: Eat at the top of Mt. Mansfield, Stowe, Vermont

by Tryla Written Oct 3, 2003

Cliff Restaurant

Situated atop Mt. Mansfield, guests at the Cliff House can enjoy lunch treats with a view from Vermont's highest peak. This venue is accessible via the Gondola Skyride. Perched atop Vermont's highest peak, the Cliff House proudly features an eclectic collection of American and international flavors. The menu includes creative soups, fresh salads and gourmet sandwiches, as well as unique pastas and international entree specials. Opening June 28 with lunch served daily from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

• Trapp Family Lodge: Most Expensive Meal We Ever Had

by Tryla Updated Oct 3, 2003

Food Presentation Was Lovely

Candlelight and classical harp music create the perfect setting for an intimate dinner. The sommelier will introduce you to award-winning wine list. The wait staff offers attentive service at a relaxed pace. This expansive wood-paneled room provides diners with beautiful mountain views. The Salzburg Room, a private dining room, is available for groups up to 40 people.

Favorite Dish: We chose to pick from the fixed price menu where you may chose from the "Five-course" dinner which includes appetizer, soup, salad, entree, dessert and coffee or the "Three-course" dinner which includes entree and a choice of two other courses. The food presentation was gorgeous and the ambiance was lovely with a harpest playing in the background.

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Andersen's Lodge, Stowe, VT: Wunderbar Austrian cuisine in Stowe, VT

by 850prc Written Apr 1, 2003

Andersen's Lodge dining room

I've already recommended Andersen's Lodge in Stowe, VT, as a place to stay. (Please see the hotel recommendation section.)

One of the best things about Andersen's are Dietmar Heiss' wonderful means each evening. Meals are part of the tariff when one stays at Andersen's. Evening meals are served 7 days a week in the winter, and on weekends at other times. People NOT staying at Andersen's can still make reservations for dinner, and I recommend it.

It'll be basically table d'hote, as there is no menu. There are sometimes a couple of choices, but basically, it's just top-quality cooking at its Austrian best. Dietmar's Wienerschnitzel will whisk you back to Salzburg at first taste. And, yes....he makes one hell of a decadent chocolate cake.

Favorite Dish: Among my favorites are

Wienerschnitzel

Roast Pork Loin

Decadent Chocolate cake

Numerous homemade and rich cream soups.

• Venturingnow's Profile Photo

I believe the place was called...

by Venturingnow Written Oct 4, 2002

I believe the place was called the 'Cow jumped over the moon' It's a pizzeria. It's really good tasting:)

Favorite Dish: The deal is, you make your own pizza. Like Kramer's idea on Seinfeld. You remember that right? Well, it's fun for the whole family.

• jtb2inky's Profile Photo

The Mist Grill: The Mist Grill

by jtb2inky Written Oct 4, 2002

Great place to stop on a cool autumn morning for a pastry and some coffee. It is right off the highway in Waterbury and backs up to a beautiful set of rapids in the river. The building is actually an old gristmill - i.e. The Mist Grill.

Favorite Dish: Pasteries and Coffee

Instant Answers: Stowe

Comments

Stowe Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Stowe restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Stowe sightseeing.