Weston Travel Guide

Weston Shopping

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

by etfromnc Written Mar 11, 2010

Quaint, seemingly much older than it actually is. I did much more shopping while in Vermont than I usually do when travelling, for two reasons:
    I was driving, so I did not have to worry about luggage limits on our beloved airlines and
    Vermont has more of the kinds of shops which I can actually shopping.
    The Vermont Country Store may be the epitome of this eclectic store which I so enjoy. I had shopped their catalogs for several years so Weston was a must when I began putting my itinerary together. Founded and operated by the Orton family for about 64 years, the original concept that anything they sell must be useful, it must work, and it must make sense. There are currently four Orton men, and their families, engaged in the operation of their stores and they "take pride in being The Purveyors of the Practical and Hard-To-Find." In the early days of their business Mr Vrest Orton, the founder visited Leon Lenwood Bean (L. L. Bean) to discuss retailing and mail order sales. Mr. Bean, most Americans are familiar, gave him two sentences which were simple, elegant, and still guide corporate operations. "Never promise more than you can deliver. That way customers get more than they expected and will be surprised and delighted." While I wish that both of these companies were a bit less expensive, I must confess that I have always been otherwise completely satisfied with anything which I may have bought from them.

What to buy: The unusual in consumer goods. If you want something country or that you remember from your childhood and have not seen in many years or that you may have even heard were discontinued or that you know is still made but you just cannot find, check with The Vermont Country Store. Examples of things which I have bought from them include the metal pants-stretchers which my mother used to save ironing when I was a youngster, "To a Wild Rose" cologne which I heard a friend mention very nostalgically, aluminum-free deodorant, coconut bonbons, et al.
    They also have a restaurant adjacent to their Weston store and a store in Rockingham. The restaurant is open only for lunch, 11-3:30.

What to pay: You may expect to pay a little more than you would like but it is probably worth what you pay.

Instant Answers: Weston

Comments

Weston Travel Guide
Map of Weston