Alexandria Off The Beaten Path

  • Off The Beaten Path
    by Ewingjr98
  • Off The Beaten Path
    by Yaqui
  • Off The Beaten Path
    by Yaqui

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Alexandria

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Christ Church Historical Markers

    by Yaqui Updated Aug 14, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    The Markers Reads:
    Christ Church
    Has beeen designated a Registered National Historic Landmark
    Under the proveision of the hsitoric sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in coommemorating or illustrating the history of the United States
    U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1970

    The second reads:
    This building is dedicated to the Service of Glory of God and in loving memory of all the faithful departed members of Christ Church and of those whose names are recorded in the Book of Rememberance kept in this building and of those whose mortal remains have been interred in this churchyard.
    Remember thse Thy servants, O lord according to the favor which thou bearest unto Thy people, and grant that uncreasing in knowledge and love of Thee, they may go from strength to strength, in the life of perfect service in They Heavenly Kindom: thourgh Jesus Chrust our Lord who liveth and reigneth with Thee and the Holy Ghost ever one God world without end. Amen.

    In Memory of the Honorary Plll Bearers of General George Washington
    Fellow Townsmen, Brothers Masons,
    Trusted Friends, Comrades in the cause of American Independence
    Col. Charles Simms
    Col George Gilpin
    Col. Dennis Ramsay
    Col. Philip Marsteller
    Col. William Payne
    Col. Charles Little
    In Memory also of the Lieutenants
    William Moss
    Lawrence Hoof
    James Turner Jr.
    George Wise
    of the 105th regiment of the Virginia Militia who bore his body to the tomb, December 18th 1799.
    Erected by the Mt. Vernon Chapter National Society Daughters of the American REvolution of Alexandia, Va in 1909

    Alexandria Visitor Center
    221 King Street Alexandria, VA 22314
    (703) 746-3301

    Located at: 118 North Washington Street Alexandria, Virginia

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Ramsay House Marker

    by Yaqui Updated Aug 14, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    The Ramsay House

    Inscription. Owned by William Ramsay, a founder of Alexandria in July, 1749, and first Mayor. Restored by the City of Alexandria in 1956 and dedicated to the memory of Mrs. Robert Miller Reese (Rebecca Ramsay) (1870–1955), great-great-granddaughter of William Ramsay.

    Marker is at the intersection of King Street and Fairfax Street, on the left when traveling east on King Street. Marker is at sidewalk level, on the side of the house.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Wise's Tavern

    by Yaqui Updated Aug 14, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This was the site of when they held a reception for George Washington when he left in 1789 to become the President of the United States. Washington use to dine here quite frequently when it was a tavern. Now it is also the site of the one of the places the ghost tours visit.

    Located on 201 North Fairfax Street and Cameron Street

    Visitor Center
    221 King Street Alexandria, VA 22314

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    E-86 Historic Alexandria Marker

    by Yaqui Updated Aug 14, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    Aleaxandria was named for the family fo John Alexander, a Virginia Planter who in 1669 acquired the tract on which the town begaon. By 1732, the site was known as Hunting Creek Warehouse and in 1749 became Alexandria, thereafter a major 18th century port. George Washington frequented the town; Robert E. Lee claimed it as his boyhood home. From 1801 to 1847 Alexandria was a part of the District of Columbia, and was later occupied by Federal troops during the Civil War. By the 20th century it had become a major railroad center. In 1946, Alexandria created the third historic district in the United States to protect its 18th and 19th century buildings.

    Located on the street next to the Ramsay House (Alexandria Visitors Center) 221 King Street

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    George Washington Town House

    by Yaqui Written Aug 14, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    Replica Washington's Town House
    Lot purchased by George Washington 1763 and house completed 1789. Torn down 1855 rebuilt by Gov. & Mrs. Richard Barrett Lowe 1980 Bricks & Stones from excavation used in construction.

    Site of Washington's Town House
    Used by him in his surveying where he maintained an office with the secretary to recieve and accomdation belated visitors to Mr. Vernon.

    Located along 508 Cameron Street between North Pitt and North St. Asaph Streets

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Gadsby's Tavern Ice Well

    by Yaqui Written Aug 14, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    I surprised my sister because she had passed by here many times but never realized the steps to the Ice Well. When you see a plaque on a building, stop and read it. You never know what you may find.

    One of the plaques reads:
    Underground ice wells were used in the 18th and 19th centuries to store ice for use during the warm months. In Alexandria, blocks of ice were cut from the Potomas River. Ice was placed in this well through a square opening which is marked in the pavement above. The well consist of shallow brick dome, a circular brick shaft 15' deep and 17' in diameter and a sand floor. A brick tunnel extends from the well to the basement of the tavern. Originally the well was completely underground. In 1976 it was strengthened by the installation of steel bands, and the wing area and windows were installed. This well, a rare survivor, served the tavern and the town. Tavern keeper John Gadsby sold ice in 1805 for 8 cents per pound. The ice well was restored by the City of Alexandria in 1976 as part of the restoration of Gadsby Tavern. You may tour Gadsby's Tavern Museum to learn more about the well or the tavern.

    Located at around the corner on Cameron Street from 138 N. Royal Street, Alexandria Va 22314

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Gadsby's Tavern Museum

    by Yaqui Updated Aug 14, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Tavern
    1 more image

    In 1749, Charles & Anne Mason erected a house measuring a minimum of 20 feet by 20 feet within two years near this lot. By the mid-1750s, the Mason's were operating a tailoring business and an ordinary for their business and home. Soon after Anne's death in 1761 the buildings began its long journey of being rebuilt into several types of establishments: as tavern, hotel, ballroom, barracks, auction house, club house and museum. The Hawks ran their establishments here from 1774-1775. In 1782 John Wise was the next owner and enlarged the structures and built the City Hotel 1792. The property was leased to John Gadsby from 1796-1808.

    Many American presidents and foreign dignitaries have been lodged and entertained within their walls as have tourists, merchants, actors, circus performers, Federal troop housing, and the pomp and splendor of George Washington’s birthday celebrations.

    Now is stands a tribute to our past to educate and enjoy.

    Located at 134 N. Royal Street Alexandria, Virginia 22314

    Tour Hours:
    November to March:
    Wednesday - Saturday,
    11 am to 4 pm
    Sunday, 1 pm to 4 pm
    Monday and Tuesday, Closed
    Last tour at 3:45 pm

    April to October:
    Tuesday - Saturday,
    10 am to 5 pm
    Sunday and Monday, 1 pm to 5 pm
    Last tour at 4:45 pm.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

    Shiloh Baptist Church

    by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    Shiloh Baptist Church was founded in 1863 as the fourth of Alexandria's black churches. It is said the church began here, just half a block from the old "Price & Birch's" slave prison, because the slave yards were later used to house freed slaves, and local leaders organized them into a church. After meeting in temporary locations fro two years, their first church was constructed nearby in 1865. In 1891 construction on the current church began, to be completed in 1893 at a cost of just $8,000.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Historic Homes Walk - George's footsteps

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    When you are in the downtown area or even by the marina. You need to just walk around and take in the historical homes. You know when you’re on an actual historic street because of the very narrow streets and many of these homes have historical markers on the front by the door with the year it was built. It's almost hard to know the difference in the new and old homes, because the builders take such care in building the new ones authentically. The streets a much wider on the new homes.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Music in the streets

    by Yaqui Updated Apr 4, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    I think this is pretty cool when wonderful individuals are willing to share their gift of music. This gentleman was performing just down from the restaurant. He played beautifully! Be sure to say thank you with some small gift;-)

    They have many cultural events, so checkout the website for more information or just take a walk in the evening and hear them play downtown or by the marina.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

    Fort Ward

    by seagoingJLW Updated Apr 4, 2011

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Fort Ward

    Fort Ward is the best preserved of the system of Union forts and batteries built during the Civil War to protect Washington, DC.

    The fort has exhibits on Civil War topics, tours, and living history activities throughout the year.

    It is located at 4301 West Braddock Road in Alexandria, Virginia 22304

    Was this review helpful?

  • Gossypia

    by alexandria_native Updated Feb 3, 2011

    One block off King Street and 3 blocks from the waterfront, this store is mostly ladie's clothing of an artsy nature. They also specialize in Mexican and Guatemalan gifts, nativity sets, and Day of the Dead artifacts. A real funky little store crammed with interested finds.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Mindful Hands / The Tibet Shop

    by alexandria_native Written Feb 3, 2011

    This shop is on King Street but up on a second floor, above a Japanese sushi restaurant. It is well worth the trip up the stairs. It is really 2 shops in one. Half of the store is devoted to ethnic handcrafted goods (clothing, jewelry, musical items, etc.) from Tibetans refugees and the other half of the store is handcrafted items from other parts of the world. They have a large selection of incense, statues, foutains, chimes, books, music. They also have a small children's section (mostly books and games). This a real "feel-good" store and the lady who runs it is super nice and knowledgeable.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Old Town Coffee, Tea, & Spice

    by alexandria_native Updated Feb 3, 2011

    One of my favorite places in Old Town, only 2 blocks from King Street and near the waterfront. As the name says, the shop has mostly bulk coffees, teas, and spices. They also have a wide assortment of cookies, candies, cheeses, and other goodies from around the world, every kind of tea pot and coffe pot imaginable, and a broad range of ever-changing eclectic gifts.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Old Town Gem & Mineral

    by alexandria_native Updated Feb 3, 2011

    Near the waterfront and a block off King Street, this "gem" of a store is a great place to browse. They specialize in birth-month gemstone "trees" and also have a good selection of small and large gemstones, crystals, rocks, & fossils. They aksi have a small selection of gemstone jewelry.

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Alexandria

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

82 travelers online now

Comments

Alexandria Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Alexandria off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Alexandria sightseeing.

View all Alexandria hotels