Alexandria Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Alexandria

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Gadsby's Tavern Restaurant: A Step Back In Time

by lmkluque Updated Feb 4, 2013

Straight out of the 18th century, costumed servers entertaining with toasts, songs and humor, hard wood floors, hurrican lamps on the walls and period music playing in the background, gives the feeling that George Washington and his wife Martha can walk in at any second! We ate downstairs and I guess upstairs they have a more elegant dining room and party venue.

The prices are not too high, even today, to make this historic and important tavern a stop while on tour of Old Town Virginia.

Favorite Dish: "Baked Ham and Cheese Pye."
    You might want to order the "Publik Table" a bountiful feast of meats, fishes, fowl, vegetables, in season, the famous Sally Lund bread, and more!

I didn't order The Pulik Table, but if your party is HUNGRY try it! (I think it's meant for two)

Update:

It seems that the menu has been over-hauled, maybe it is frequently changed, so what I enjoyed may not be on the menu when you arrive.

• Museum Visits

Pop's Old Fashioned Ice Cream: Cheesecake Ice Cream

by cjg1 Updated Sep 24, 2012

Exterior of Pop's

Pop's is an old fashioned ice cream shop. They have a large variety of homemade ice cream in a variety of flavors. They also make sundaes, root beer flots, egg creams and have frozen yogurt. The ice cream flavors of the day are posted on a board above the counter with flavors such as Mango, Cookie Dough, Cheescake and the traditional flavors.

The lines are always long here since the ice cream is that good. Our last visit to Pop's was on a hot Saturday after noon with highs in the 90's. My wife was in the mood for an ice cream cone but I was melting and didn't feel like ice cream. I decided to indulge her wish and got in line for a cone. She usually gets a plain chocolate cone but decided to try the Cheesecake ice cream (it was a special on the menu).

The ice cream was served in a waffle cone and though only one scoop it was quite large. Needless to say; she loved it. The ice cream had large chunks of graham cracker crusted cheesecake throughout the cone. She raved about the flavor so much that I had to try it myself. It really was decadent on so many levels. The ice cream alone was incredibly rich never mind with the cheese cake chunks added to it.

I think she has found a new favorite flavor. Hopefully they will continue to put it on the menu in the future.

Favorite Dish: Cheesecake Ice Cream

• Africancrab's Profile Photo

The Creamery: Frozen Custard

by Africancrab Written Aug 16, 2012

We stopped by the creamery for something cold on a hot day in Old Town Alexandria. My daughter saw the sign first; in giant letters the word 'Ice Cream' popped up and she screamed 'Mum, there is an ice cream shop'. the next thing was us buying ice cream and frozen custard.

I have never eaten custard the way I ate it from this creamery. A frozen soft vanilla and chocolate custard. I had it in a cup instead of a cone. The softness and texture reminded me of the vanilla cone at McDonalds,which is my favorite by the way.
    Well the custard looked good, so I ate it.

"If it looks Good, eat it" -Andrew Zimmerman

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Bugsy's Pizza Restaurant: Old Town Pizza

by Yaqui Written Aug 14, 2011

As evening fell, we kind of wondered up and down the King Street to find a place that was not smokey or crowded. So we popped in and here to check it out. We were seated promply and our order was taken. The food was excellent, but the service was bad. I think we got the lazy waiter. We observed him just standing around chatting up with his friends that was coming in and chatting up storm with the cooks. So he didn't exactly earn a tip. The place was comfortable and the decor was fun.

• Photography

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Scoop Grill & Homemade Ice: Hmmm.....ice cream!!

by Yaqui Updated Aug 14, 2011

Very old fashion ice cream palor and I think you'll enjoy it. The partions were very generous and delicious to boot. It serves Frozen custard, ice cream, frozen yogurt, homemade soups, breakfast too!

While exploring Alexandria, we just had to go back to our favorite ice cream palor. It was a great way to end our evening of exploring.

• fardarrig76's Profile Photo

King Street Blues: Great local blues theme restaurant

by fardarrig76 Written Jun 22, 2011
    Main Entrance

This place was awesome. The decor inside was great, unbelievable art work all over the place. Made you feel you were at the New Orleans Jazz festival. Like many Old Town restaurants, bar was on the first floor and dining area was upstairs. The food went along with the decor, excellent. Great place for kids as well.

Favorite Dish: We went at lunch time, but I had the Chicken Sandwich with avocado. My wife had the Shrimp Po Boy, both were excellent. Their fresh cut chips were also a huge hit.

Union Street Public House

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Union Street Public House is a nice place down near the water in Old Town. A group of us had dinner here one night in October 2009. I had been downstairs in the bar area, but had not stepped foot in the restaurant until now. I was surprised that the restaurant covered two floors, and uniquely maintained parts of this old warehouse building, while adding comfortable touches.

The had a small, but interesting draft beer selection that includes a beer from Dover, Delaware's Fordham brewery, two Alexandria brews, Blue Moon, and a few beers from a brewery called the Native Brewery. I had a few of the Native Reds, which were tasty.

For dinner our group of adults and children ordered a variety of foods from the swordfish to the lobster ravioli; I was impressed that food arrived together and with no mistakes. I had the andouille sausage with red beans and rice. The andouille was excellent with a great smoky flavor, and the beans and rice a nice complement. The only downside was their choice of "fresh vegetable" which was a mushy pile of yams. My meal was about $15, plus around $5 per beer, about what you'd expect in Old Town.

FireFlies Restaurant - Del Ray, Alexandria

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

FireFlies is very popular little restaurant in Alexandria's quaint Del Ray neighborhood, just a mile from Old Town. This restaurant fills a lot of niches in Del Ray such as breakfast, brunch, coffee, lunches and dinners, live music, outdoor cafe, and more. Their lunch menu is amazingly simple, with just appetizers, a few salads, about eight sandwiches, four burgers, and several pizzas.

The restaurant, a former auto parts store, features a large stage, about eight or ten outdoor seats under awnings, a large bar, and a big seating area inside, all with a trendy, open layout. They have live music several times a week, and their Sunday brunch is a huge draw, often with 10 or 20 people outside awaiting tables on a nice day.

We sat outside one warm Friday afternoon in April for a late lunch. I started with a St. George Brewing Company beer from Hampton, VA. For my lunch I ordered the ham and brie sandwich with sliced apples, but was served the chicken-fried steak sandwich. I decided to try it rather than sending it back, and it was very good, especially the fresh bread. The sliced apples were also good; it seemed like there were two whole apples sliced onto my plate and coated in cranberry sauce. Laura had the bacon, salmon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich. The meal was reasonably priced at under $30 for two sandwiches, a beer, and a Coke.

Stage Door Deli - King Street, Old Town

Stage Door & O'Shaunessey's Pub

The Stage Door Deli and O'Shaughnessy's Pub are located just a few blocks from King Street Station on King Street in Old Town Alexandria. The bar was one of the first things I noticed in Old Town, but later the deli caught my attention. I stopped in for lunch one weekday around noon and was surprised that I was the only person in the joint other than the three workers. I scanned the menu then placed my order. The staff was friendly and my food was ready in about five minutes. During my wait several others stopped by for lunch. While I had my meal to go, they have a full service section in the back of the deli.

I had the hot turkey, ham and cheese sub with lettuce and tomato for about $6.25. It was a very tasty sandwich, lightly toasted and still warm after my 10 minute walk home. Very nice.

The bar upstairs used to be called the Laughing Lizard, but don't worry it still has live music, and it still looks like a scary dive bar; it's called O'Shaughnessy's Pub. Looks like a fun spot. Maybe not for tourists, though!

Pop's Ice Cream - King Street, Old Town

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Pop's is an old-fashioned little ice cream parlor on the lower end of King Street just a block from the ocean. The owner here also owns the Fish Market next door, and it is said he worked at a tiny DC ice cream shop in the 1930s and kept the recipes for use here. This is a popular spot year 'round, particularly on weekend nights when it's full of high school kids on first dates.

During our visit Laura had a soft-serve ice cream cone, and I had a single scoop of cookies-n-cream in a sugar cone. We took our cones and walked along the water on this warm February night with temps in the high 50s.

Pop's also has a variety of sundaes, pies, cones, and even ice cream liquors.

Papa Reno's Chikzza - CLOSED

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Papa Reno's has either closed or moved to Old Town Alexandria. Probably closed. Now there is a sub shop in its place at the decrepit Days Inn on Hwy 1 south of Alexandria.

---------------------------------------------------

Papa Reno's Chikzza claims to have "fine" Italian and Greek food. When I arrived, they immediately suggested the pizza, but I was drawn to the Middle Eastern kabobs (especially after seeing some signs in Arabic and a small tapestry of Mecca on the wall!). My meal was ready in maybe 10 minutes, and cost $10.50. The kabob had about 5 pieces of slightly overcooked, but very tasty chicken, along with excellent rice, fresh naan bread, chickpeas, and a salad with lettuce, tomato, onions, and cucumbers.

The restaurant began in 2004 and is located on the first floor of the Days Inn. It is a little run down (but so is the Days Inn!), but the food was very good. They offer eat-in, take-out, or to-go food, primarily sandwiches, fried foods like wings, pizzas, a variety of kabobs, and non-alcoholic drinks. Maybe not worth going out of your way to find this place, but if I lived in the neighborhood or was staying at the Days Inn, I'd be happy to order delivery from here every so often.

La Tasca: Excellent Tapas

by cjg1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Oh my God...look at all that food...

This is a place we chose for many reasons. One of which is at the time it was on the American Airlines Idine list. Another was the type of food. We knew we'd be having a late lunch that day and wanted something that could be light eating.

The restaurant itself was quite nice. They have a bar area on the left as you walk in where you will find a couple of TVs usually with sports on. To the back and the right opens up to the restaurant. Some of the tables have bench seating instead of individual chairs. So you can sit next to someone you're with easily instead of across from.

As long as this stays an Idine, I will return.

Favorite Dish: The food here was actually quite good. I did not know when we were there that it was a chain. Although the website on menu did make me wonder. We had the meat sampler dinner. I will look up when I can all that was on it but it was quite a good many things and was SO good. Too much food for just the two of us.

Bread and Chocolate: Great Bakery

by cjg1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Bread and Chocolate is one of those places I need to return to. We weren't able to eat in because we got in the door just before they were locking up. But we were able to get it to go. Amazing desserts here. I had the Napoleon while Liz had a chocolate diamond dessert that was great.

We ate these back in the room that night and said we had to go back for breakfast here. Well we forgot to go back as we got the car and left town in the morning. But its first on the list when we return to town.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Bertucci's Brick Oven Pizzeria: Great place for families and food

by 807Wheaton Updated Apr 4, 2011

Bertucci's is a chain restaurant. We have eaten in Charlotte and we enjoyed eating at Bertucci's in Alexandria Old Town during our visit there. It was recommended to us by the Hampton Inn and it was a good tip. It was really crowded when we got there and it was Monday evening. Lots of noise and fun. We got two booths for the 12 of us.
    We ordered several different kinds of pizza - it was excellent. I definitely recommend a stop at a Bertucci's if you are ever traveling to a place where one is located. They are located mainly on the east coast.

Favorite Dish: Pizza was the only dish we ordered. It was excellent.

• Stardust Restaurant and Lounge: Memorabilia from the '50s and Great Food

by Traveler60 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Stardust Café was one of my favorite stops of our six week tour across America. We had the Angus Beef Flank steak in a rice wine sauce. It was about $20. It was very delicious, exceptionally good. This quaint little cafe was filled with memorabilia from the 5O’s. There are knickknacks everywhere, including many household appliances like coffee percolators, fans and toasters. The owner, Avery Kincaid is creative and one of the friendliest persons you will ever meet. She told us all about her establishment. She pointed out where Davy Jones, of the Monkees, sat when he dined there. She even gave me a picture of her and Marianne, from the Gilligans Island TV show, taken while she was dining there. Al and Tipper Gore have dined there too. Avery told us that most of George Bush’s Cabinet have dined there. She even showed us the room were they have met. Several Congressmen also have dined there. This was a real blast!

Favorite Dish: Angus Beef Flank steak in a rice wine sauce had a wonderful flavor.

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Alexandria

Comments

Alexandria Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Alexandria restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Alexandria sightseeing.