the clover hill tavern was built by alexander and liburne patteson in 1819. the clover hill tavern was a stop on the richmond-lynchburg stage coach line. in the 1840's the clover hill tavern was home to captain john raine and his family. after the surrender of robert e. lee's army of northern virginia the tavern was used as a printing office for paroles of defeated confederate soldiers.
as time went on the business of the clover hill tavern improved during the first half of the 19 th century. the patteson's added this guest house and a kitchen to their property. the decline of appomattox court house began in 1854 when a train depot was built in the nearby town of appomattox. today the guest house is the park bookstore.
the appomattox visitor center is a good first stop on a visit to appomattox and appomatox court house. the visitor center is located in the historic appomattox train station which was the site of the battle of appomattox station on april 8 th 1865. the forces of union general george custer attacked three confederate supply trains near this site in one of the last battles of the civil war. after the civil war george custer became nationally famous for the battle of the little big horn. for more information about the attractions of the appomattox area see the attached web site.
located just east of appomattox courthouse on hwy 24 is the confederate cemetery. this is the final resting place of 18 confederate soldiers and one unknown union soldier that died in the battle of appomattox court house.
after the confederate defeat at five forks near petersburg general robert e. lee had to evacuate the confederate capital of richmond. his army of northern virginia marched west towards lynchburg in the hope of meeting confederate forces in northern north carolina. the union army of ulysses s. grant blocked lee's progress at appomattox. union general george custer captured lee's supply trains at the battle of appomattox station. near the village of appomattox court house there was a small battle between the forces of generals grant and lee. general lee realized that he had no chance to continue to north carolina and surrendered his army on april 9 th 1865 at appomattox courthouse. this surrender brought about the end of the civil war.
pictured is the f. meeks general store. this building was built in 1852 by john plunkett. francis meeks bought the building in 1862. at the time the f. meeks general store was appomattox court house's "walmart".
the original appomattox county jail was a log cabin built in 1845. construction of the new jail began in 1861 but due to the civil war was not completed until 1867. the first floor of the jail housed the sheriff's office and the top two floors were prisoner cells.
the peers house was built in 1855. this virginia farm house style home was owned by sheriff d. a. plunkett during the civil war. appomattox county clerk of the court george t. peers bought the home in 1870. the peers house is listed on the national register of historic places.
the bocock-isbell house was built by thomas bocock in 1850. thomas bocock was a U. S. congressman prior to the civil war and was the speaker of the house of confederate representives. this 19 th century virginia farm house style structure is listed on the national register of historic places.
pictured is a reconstruction of the old 1846 appomattox courthouse in the the village of appomattox court house. today this building is the visitor center for appomattox national historic park. the courthouse is your first stop on a visit to the village of appomattox court house and the battlefield.