Ashland Restaurants

Bob's mini chicken sandwiches
    by grandmaR
    My potato pancakes and bacon
    Dining Room

Most Recent Restaurants in Ashland

Perkins Family Restaurant: Quick Lunch off I-95

by grandmaR Written Sep 21, 2011

under construciton

We used to have a Perkins near us, but not anymore. This Perkins is attach to a motel and the restrooms are in the hotel lobby.

When we came in there was a sign on the door saying that they didn't take any travelers checks because of counterfeits. The menu board had specials for Weds night, Friday night and Sunday night, but we were there at lunch on Wednesday. Their soup of the day (potato) wasn't listed although the muffin of the day and the pie of the day were.

Favorite Dish: I had potato pancakes with bacon and applesauce. The applesauce tasted canned. We have applesauce every night at home and it is better than this. The middle of the pancakes was a bit soft.

Bob had two mini chicken sandwiches with fries. After he ordered he said he should have had chicken soup (which is on the menu every day) and a milk shake.

Bob's mini chicken sandwiches My potato pancakes and bacon Dining Room Menu board but no specials for today Perkins sign
    • Seniors

Waffle House® Restaurant: 24 Hours

by grandmaR Updated Aug 9, 2009

The first Waffle House restaurant was opened in 1955 in Avondale Estates, an Atlanta suburb. It is still headquartered in Georgia (in Norcross). The Waffle House, Inc.® system operates more than 1,400 restaurants in 25 states and each restaurant is open 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.

It came to my attention most forcefully because when we stopped at Richmond Hill GA, there was one Waffle House on each side of the interstate.

We finally stopped to eat at the Waffle House in Ashland VA.

We both had hot tea ($1.29), and the bacon lover's BLT ($3.49). I also had hash browns scattered on the grill with tomatoes for $1.74. I think I should have just had them plain. The bacon lover's BLT was full of bacon - not quite so much as at Captain Bob's in Bimini, but pretty good. Bob didn't notice the big sign on the door that said cash or traveler's checks only - no charge cards. He was getting the charge card out when I told him, so he gave the girl $15.00 and we were on our way again before noon.

Baconlovers BLT and Hash Browns Pictures from the menu Bob at the table from the ladies room door Part of the menu Sign on the door
    • Seniors

Chain Restaurants: Rest Stop

by grandmaR Updated Aug 9, 2009

In addition to the Waffle House® Restaurant where we ate for the first time on the latest trip, there are many fast food and chain restaurants at the Ashland interchange or a little farther into town.

The chain restaurants include Applebees Neighborhood Grill & Bar, Ruby Tuesday, Cracker Barrel Old Country Store®, Perkins Restaurant and Bakery, and Ponderosa Steakhouse.

The fast food places include Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts, Arby's, KFC, Wendy's, Long John Silvers, McDonalds, Captain D's Seafood Restaurants, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Hardee's and SUBWAY.

All of these restaurants are reviewed on my United States page.

There are, of course, non-chain and non-fast food places too such as Andy's Restaurant, Grill Depot, and Virginia BBQ

Ponderosa Burger King Wendy's KFC and Long John Silver Ruby Tuesday
    • Business Travel

• b1bob's Profile Photo

O'Bank's: Right on the money!

by b1bob Updated May 27, 2009

After a string of bad luck in trying new restaurants (Candlelight Cafe in Williamsburg and Wild Willie's in Mechanicsville), I was a little gun shy about going out to an unknown quantity. However, the Richmond Times Dispatch wrote a good review of O'Bank's in Ashland. Someone might jump to the conclusion that the owner's original intent was to combine an Irish pub with Outer Banks style seafood on the menu. However, it offers upmarket Southern cuisine. Contrary to the review, the service was lightning-fast for the quality of food served. The service was not only fast, it was attentive. I couldn't have had a better waitress. My only complaint was the hard high-back wood booths. It was also a little light on the atmosphere, but who needs atmosphere when the food is this good?

HOURS: 11am-10pm Monday-Friday; 3-10pm Saturday; Sunday brunch 11am-5pm.

Favorite Dish: For the appetiser, I had pork wontons served with a ginger sesame dipping sauce. The wontons were served hot and the wrapper was well cooked. The dipping sauce was subtly spicy. Despite my lack of affinity for cashews, I had a cashew encrusted chicken breast (of honest to goodness size, contrary to the one the week earlier) with a sweet and sour cherry sauce served with ginger infused rice and sauteed green beans with sweet bell peppers. Contrary to my fears, the cashews did not dominate the dish. Instead, they mixed well with the chicken and the sauce. The cherry sauce gave the chicken an unexpected boost and the ginger infusion in the rice made it more than something else to put on the plate. Normally, I'm not keen on green beans unless they're cooked with fatback, but the sweet bell pepper complemented them nicely and they were flavoured with just a hint of lemon juice. The bread was so good, I had to have two mini loaves. The second time around, I had the shrimp & grits which is a generous portion of shrimp with creamy hominy grits served in a cheesy country ham sauce and fresh collard greens. You pay more to eat here, but you really get bang for the buck in terms of both the quantity and the quality of the food.

O'Bank's pork wontons cashew encrusted chicken shrimp and grits w/ collard greens

Bamboo Chinese Restaurant: better Chinese in the area

by b1bob Updated Apr 28, 2009

At the fork of Rt. 54 and Rt. 33, Bamboo is an uncommonly good Chinese restaurant, notwithstanding the fact it's in the middle of nowhere. The atmosphere is much brighter and livelier than some other such restaurants in the area. At the corner of the Montpelier Shoppes, light came in from two sides. Although there weren't many people there when we came for lunch late in the afternoon, the wait staff was friendly and prompt.

Favorite Dish: I had the sweet and sour chicken and an egg roll. The sweet and sour chicken is the best in the area. There are even chopped pineapples and maraschino cherries in it and the egg roll was crunchier too. The portion sizes were more than adequate. Usually, you get hungry an hour after eating Chinese food regardless of how much you have. This meal carried us all the way through to supper.

Bamboo Chinese Restaurant egg roll with hot mustard and duck sauce sweet and sour chicken

Knickers Restaurant: Knickers at the Hollows

by b1bob Written Apr 28, 2009

When my friend Rusty said he'd take me to lunch at the Hollows Golf Club, I was sure we'd be tossed out. However, the Hollows is open to the public and it doesn't have the snooty air the Hanover Country Club just 8 miles (12.9 km.) away. On top of that, the food is much better. There weren't many people eating in the clubhouse the Monday afternoon Rusty and I dined there. The decor was what I call early Arnold Palmer: you couldn't mistake it for anything other than the dining room of a country club. The service was swift and with a smile.

Favorite Dish: I had the barbecue sandwich with a side of fries. I've had better barbecue...but I've certainly also had worse. The fries were great.

Knickers at the Hollows barbecue sandwich and fries

China Star Restaurant: Chinese in Kings Charter

by b1bob Written Apr 11, 2009

China Star is a Chinese restaurant at Kings Charter Village Shopping Centre at the corner of Atlee Station Road and Sliding Hill Road. However, on the two occasions I've eaten there, many others must not think it's stellar because on Saturday at lunch (both times) my party was the only one there. They brag on a lunch buffet on the banner outside the restaurant. I wonder what is wrong and how long China Star will be there. The service is naturally good when we're the only customers and the food is not bad overall.

Favorite Dish: On both occasions, I had the sweet and sour chicken with an egg roll on the side. The egg roll and the dipping sauce are great, the sweet and sour chicken are fair to middling, but the rice could be a lot better; it was bland.

China Star egg roll and dipping sauce sweet and sour chicken

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Homemades by Suzanne: gourmet deli in the centre of the universe

by b1bob Updated Mar 30, 2009

Homemades by Suzanne is a bakery, deli, and caterer that has become part of the fabric of beautiful downtown Ashland since 1990. This eatery received momentary national and international attention in October, 2008 when Republican vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin made a point of stopping here to talk to the owner and buy some snacks for the road. On a good day, folks can sit outside under the awning and enjoy the food as the passenger and freight trains roll by. Inside, it has the atmosphere of a friendly, neighbourhood deli. The service here is friendly, but it can be slow during lunch rush. Also, some of the old tables can be rickety.

Favorite Dish: I had the grilled chicken with bacon served on a large home made roll. Each sandwich comes with a small side salad. I had the Greek salad. It was a bit pricier than one would expect for a deli, but the food was fresh and delicious, and the portions were plentiful.

Homemades by Suzanne grilled chicken with bacon on a roll, Greek salad

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Mi Jalisco Mexican Restaurant: Better Mexican, anyone?

by b1bob Updated Oct 22, 2008

For those from Roxboro, Jalisco is one of the Mexican states. It's rather like opening a Southern food restaurant down there called "My North Carolina". On a serious note, Mi Jalisco is the second really good Mexican restaurant in the Richmond area. The only other decent Mexican restaurant in the area is La Casita, but it's closed Sundays. It is located in the King's Charter Shopping Centre just southeast of downtown Ashland. The atmosphere is authentic, but not overwhelming. The service was lightning fast. It helped that Lee and I took a late lunch waiting out the after-church lunch crowd. Mi Jalisco's predecessor in the same slot was one of the worst Mexican restaurants I had ever experienced, so I was somewhat ambivalent when Lee suggested this place during a weekend campaign mission. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the food, the service, and the portions.

Favorite Dish: Like most Mexican restaurants, they start with complimentary tortilla chips. Unlike most such establishments, the salsa was actually quite good. I could taste the freshness of the ingredients. I had the pollo asado (grilled chicken for those from Roxboro). It came with Spanish rice, beans, and soft tortillas. My only beef with this chicken dish was that the beans were a little flat. It takes work to make good refried beans, but it can be done. Overall, the food was great: a distinct improvement from its predecessor.

en español, em português

Mi Jalisco pollo asado, rice, beans

Ironhorse Restaurant: right on track

by b1bob Written Oct 15, 2008

Ashland has always been a railroad town. The Ironhorse restaurant pays homage to it through its location within spitting distance of the railroad tracks that divide the town and the decor on the walls. When it gets crowded, people try to get there early enough for a seat by the window so they can see the passing trains (some Amtrak passenger trains actually stop in Ashland). Normally, the menu is fairly high-end, but the best way for tightwads or folks researching good places to take dates, first order lunch or something small from a high end place like this. That way, you won't be out much if you're disappointed. Luckily for us, we got a seat by the window, but, unluckily, no trains passed by while we were eating lunch.

Favorite Dish: David and I weren't very hungry, so we just wanted soup and salad. I had the traditional Greek salad which had everything you would expect (lettuce, tomatoes, kalimata olives, and onions) plus capers and anchovies. The atmosphere, service, and food were good enough that we would try it again at supper.

Ironhorse Restaurant Greek salad

Thai Gourmet Restaurant: Thai in Ashland

by b1bob Updated Mar 23, 2008

I don't know what it is about Thai restaurants in Hanover County, but they are both located well off the main drag. Thai Gourmet is located at a small strip mall adjoining a larger one in the King's Charter part of town. It isn't much in terms of decor, but it more than makes up for that in service. Our waiter was only 17, but he was attentive, and more knowledgeable about the food than most other waiters I know. Their dining room and takeaway menus are diverse and the dishes are mild unless otherwise marked.

Favorite Dish: When I go out for Thai, I am a sucker for pad Thai. I usually get the chicken, but I had the roast duck with the usual rice noodles stir-fried in the sweet peanut sauce with eggs, spring onions, and cilantro with crushed peanuts and limes on the side. Before that, I had the fried spring rolled with ground pork, shrimp, and vegetables. Many spring rolls are mostly cabbage, but this one had a fine balance of contents. It came with a sweet (duck sauce) and sour (vinegar) dipping sauce with crushed peanuts. Like the pad Thai, it was a mixture of both flavours and textures.

en español, em português

Thai Gourmet Restaurant fried spring rolls in peanut dipping sauce roasted duck Pad Thai

• consaacs's Profile Photo

Thai Gourmet: There's a good Thai restaurant in Hanover County

by consaacs Written Dec 24, 2007

Thai Gourmet is tucked back in a new business strip development off Atlee Rd. It is on the road behind Provident Bank.
    From the outside, it is hard to imagine there is a restaurant inside. Yet, the owners have done a good job with the space they have, and have provided a comfortable space for each table.

The owner is on site, and from the moment we walked in, we felt very welcomed. It was clear that this is a restaurant that wants to and can provide individual service to the customers.

One of us began by ordering the two spring rolls. We told the server that only one of us wanted them, as the other party planned to have sou, and then we planned to share an entree. The server suggested that they would split up the appetizers into on spring and one eggroll (as was our taste), without any addition charge. That was a very welcoming beginning to our visit the the restaurant. Unfortunatly, the egg and spring rolls were merely adequate, as was the peanut dipping sauce.

So the main courses and the soup came as a wonderful surprise. The Tom Ka soup was wonderful and full of flavor without being overpowering with the lemon grass.

The green curry with chicken was equally subtle and delicous.
    Believe me, this is not your typical storefront Thai restaurant. I am anxious to return and try other entrees. And their green papaya salad. I want this place to stay in business, so I can go there often. Give it a try!

Favorite Dish: The Tom Kha Soup was the first hint that this was a very good restaurant. The Tom Kha soup here was as good as the first bowl I ever tasted in an out-of-the-way restaurant on side steet from Dupont Circle in DC in the '70's. Since then, I often order soup when in a Thai restaurant. Thai Gourmet in Atlee/Ashland is the first restaurant that has served me a more satisfying bowl than that first bowl years ago. The soup was a complete balance of the ingredients.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Ashland Coffee & Tea: Coffee anyone?

by b1bob Updated Oct 18, 2007

Chris and I had been walking around town for three hours. What we really wanted was some ice cream. The Club Car wouldn't open until 3pm and nowhere else nearby seemed to offer ice cream. I saw the Breyer's logo on the front of this coffee shop. They did have the ice cream, but only vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. I still wanted lemon ice cream. This coffee house is like anything you might find in a big city or college town. A section of it has sofas and overstuffed chairs, not unlike Central Perk on that programme Friends. The coffee shop is totally wireless and they let people use the computer free.

Favorite Dish: Chris settled on some coffee (hot and plain). Crestfallen at there being no lemon ice cream, I settled on iced coffee. They go an extra step by making coffee ice cubes so the melting cubes don't water down the coffee. Chris bought my iced coffee and I bought him a brownie.

Ashland Coffee & Tea coffee house living room and message board

The Smokey Pig: The Smokey Pig

by b1bob Updated Oct 14, 2006

The main reason we came up to Ashland was because Jimmy wanted "the best barbecue in the Richmond area". Of course, the Smokey Pig came to mind on Washington Highway (route 1). It was hot outdoors and the air conditioner was broken where we were originally seated. Jimmy and Thomas were more hungry than they were hot, however, I asked the waitress if we could be seated in the section where the air conditioner was working. She found a way to accommodate us. Jimmy ordered beef barbecue, Thomas and I had pork with various side dishes. More recently, Lee and I had supper with Delegate Frank Hargrove and his Legislative Assistant Buddy Fowler. Smokey Pig does barbecue the way it should be done.

Favorite Dish: Pork platter (for $6.50) comes with your choice of two side orders (I recommend baked beans and fries or collard greens). Click her for other menu items.

The Smokey Pig

• b1bob's Profile Photo

El Azteca: Mexican, anyone?

by b1bob Updated Jun 17, 2006

El Azteca is located just off Interstate 95 in Ashland: an adequate alternative to the usual chain restaurants nearest the offramp of the interstate highways. I guess I'm spoiled by La Casita down Route 1 a piece, but I found the food to be only adequate. The service, however, was incredibly fast and attentive. The decor is distinctively Mexican, but not as in-your-face as some other restaurants.

Favorite Dish: Lee and I both had a nacho platter as an appetiser. This consists of tortilla chips, ground beef seasoned with cumin, refried beans, and Monterey Jack cheese. I had combination number 27 which consists of a chalupa, tacos, rice, and beans. Both were fair. I find fault with the fact that they put guacamole on top of my entree without indicating it on the menu. For those in Roxboro, guacamole is a dip made of mashed avocados which isn't really busting out with flavour so it doesn't add much to whatever it's added to. No other Mexican restaurant at which I had eaten before did that. Guacamole, sour cream, or other such toppings should be offered as a side.

El Azteca

Instant Answers: Ashland

Comments

Ashland Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ashland restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ashland sightseeing.