Charlottesville Restaurants

by cjg1
  • Restaurants
    by cjg1
  • A Lunchtime Meal at Michie Tavern, May 2009
    A Lunchtime Meal at Michie Tavern, May...
    by von.otter

Most Recent Restaurants in Charlottesville

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Bodo's Bagels: Don't miss Bodos!

by chewy3326 Updated Jul 20, 2011

Bodo's Bagels is a Charlottesville tradition- universally loved in the town, it's an inexpensive and tasty place to dine. There are two locations in Charlottesville, both of which serve bagels and bagel sandwiches, as well as omelets, soups, and salads. The Bodo's on the Corner (near UVA) has a very idyllic mural, while the one on Emmet is slightly roomier and has its own parking. Avoid on weekends, when Bodo's is always ridiculously crowded.

Favorite Dish: The lox and cream cheese bagels from Bodo's are amazing- but so is everything else on the menu! Try some avacado or any of their cream cheese spreads on a bagel for a good meal. For vegetarians, their tofu sandwich isn't bad, either!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

The Nook: Patio Shadowed by the trees~

by Yaqui Updated Jul 17, 2011

We had spent the day exploring Monticello, Michie Tavern Plantation and this lovely historical downtown mall. A really charming place filled with shops and restaurants. The Nook had this wonderful patio area located under these huge oak trees. We both had the open faced turkey sandwich dinner. Very delicious and very reasonably priced.

Open 7 Days a Week at 7am Mon-Fri, 8am Sat, 9am Sun
    Weekdays Close at 8p, 10p Fridays. Hours Change Seasonally
    Open Late for Pavilion Events!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Thomas Jefferson Visitor Center Cafe: Thomas Jefferson Visitor Center Cafe

by Yaqui Updated Jul 17, 2011

Located within the visitor center courtyard is a cafe. The menu includes sandwiches, salads, pastries, kid-friendly options, and hot and cold drinks. Groups can order box lunches in advance.

The Café is open daily year-round, with indoor seating for 24 and outdoor seating for 70 on the Café Terrace and Woodland Terrace, a wooden deck offering views of the surrounding forest.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

The Virginian: A timeless student hangout

by mikelisaanna Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Virginian is Charlottesville's oldest continuing restaurant. It was founded in the 1920s, and is still in the same location on University Avenue, in the middle of "The Corner", the commercial district adjacent to the University of Virginia. The Virginian's interior is long and narrow, featuring seating in booths along one wall and a bar along the other wall. The walls are covered with old photograph's of the University and Charlottesville.

The Virginian's menu features a range of burgers and sandwiches, as well as appetizers, salads, steaks, pasta, and seafood. For beer lovers, the Virginia features a good variety of microbrews in addition to the usual national brands.

• Study Abroad
    • Beer Tasting

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

The Nook: Quite good sandwiches

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

THE NOOK, CHARLOTTESVILLE

Just before leaving charming Charlottesville we entered the Nook as the name (Indian?) sounded somewhat exotic for us. We didn't like fast-food like interior design, but the very hospitable (southern hospitality!) waiter after a short talk encouraged us to buy their sandwiches we ate walking along the downtown mall. The restaurant offers breakfasts, sandwiches, sandwich-platters and diner-style lunch platters.

Favorite Dish: We bought chicken and ham sandwich ($4.25 each) and they tasted good although it was nothing special.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Sal's Caffe Italia: Italian capuccino and pizzas:-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

SAL'S CAFFE ITALIA, DOWNTOWN MALL, CHARLOTTESVILLE

In the end of our visit to downtown Charlottesville we entered this Italian restaurant which served pizza from a brick oven, Italian subs and pasta. The restaurant was already decorated for incoming Halloween.

Favorite Dish: As we were not hungry after sandwiches from the Nook. We had only delicious grande capuccino with chocolade cake and juice . Next time I'd order pizza there.

• Hiking and Walking

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

The Hardware Store Restaurant: CLOSED - Eat at the Hardware Store!

by Hopkid Updated Apr 4, 2011

SINCE CLOSED

What else would you call a restaurant that's in a former hardware store? The menu at this place is huge: sandwiches, crepes, chicken, ribs, etc. The choices are many...it would take you qutie a while to read the entire menu. We went for lunch and had sandwiches which all have names. I forget the names of the sandwiches we had but I had a pastrami and corned beef with melted swiss on rye. It came with a pickle and an assortment of potato chips. Rita had the chicken salad and bacon on wheat. We also ordered sides of sweet potato fries (yummy) and cheese fries (just alright). The service was good as our drinks were kept filled.

The Hardware Store has outside seating on the Mall which is a great thing on a nice day!

Favorite Dish: Sandwiches, sweet potato fries

• scbelle's Profile Photo

The Downtown Grill: Juciy Steaks...

by scbelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Okay, so they have fish too, but I can't eat fish, so I've never been tempted. This place serves EXCELLENT steaks--great flavor!!! This is one of those places where everyone gets their own cut of beef, and then you share the veggies and sides. I suggest the mashed potatoes, onion rings, and asparagus! The iceberg wedge salad qith roquefort dressing (better than the balsamic) is to die for, and I hate iceberg...

And you're missing out if you don't get a (few) bottle(s) of a good red wine to complement your meal. God, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it...

OXO: Best Fine Dining

by scbelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

So what you might not know about Charlottesville is that its nestled in one of the wealthiest counties in the nation. The countryside is full of people like John Grisham, Dave Matthews, Sissy Spacek, Howie Long... and a bunch of other people who I can't remember. Anyway, as a result, Charlottesville has some FANTASTIC restaurants, and this is the best of them! The atmosphere is great--unless you are there for a peak weekend like homecoming or graduation. If so, be sure to specify that you would rather NOT sit outside when you make your reservation. Trust me.

Anyway, seated inside, the chef sends you a little appetizer to picque the interest of your palate--just sit back and take it all in, because the courses keep on coming, each one better than the next. Which leads me to my favorite dish....

Favorite Dish: CHOCOLATE SOUFFLE!!!!

Be sure to ask if the chocolate souffle is available that night, because it must be pre-ordered. I don't even really like chocolate, and this desert? A little piece of heaven... they serve it with a "just right" creme anglaise, and are not stingy with the sauce (don't you hate places that are stingy with the sauce?). So good. Sooooo good.

The C & O: A Dining Institution

by scbelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant is in all the guidebooks, and for good reason. They have an excellent menu of nightly specials, almost all with a french/continental flair, however, they love to experiment! And almost all of their experiments are successful!

There are three different seating areas, each with their own mood. Upstairs is a quiet dining room. The main floor is a relaxed but jovial atmosphere. The bar downstairs can get downright boisterous! Have had many fun meals here.

Favorite Dish: Everything is excellent. I like the chinois steak from the regular menu, but have a friend who only orders the game selections, which he says are fantastic.

Copacabana: Mmm... Brazilian....

by scbelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Okay, so the decor is awful. Now that I've gotten THAT off my chest: the food is fantastic! Yummy, yummy, yummy. I have never been to Brazil, but have listened to my parents rave about their cuisine for years. Now, they don't offer hearts of palm here the size of your wrist (my dad's fave while in Brazil), but given ingredient constraints, my parents found this to be very authentic.

Great food. The delicate flavors and perfect restraint with spices surprised me. Yum!

Favorite Dish: Everything I've tried here, and everything those who've dined with me have tried, has been great.

• scbelle's Profile Photo

Michael's Bistro: Nice meal on the corner?

by scbelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Climb up the stairs from the entrance on the corner into the warm and inviting atmosphere of Michael's Bistro. Even if you don't have time to eat, take time for a drink here. Great atmosphere. The food is very good, but not excellent. However, it is some of the best on the corner, where most restaurants cater to students.

• scbelle's Profile Photo

Buddhist Biker Bar: Buddhist!

by scbelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Third year, totally by accident, I suddenly realized that my favorite bar was a restaurant during the day! Crazy! Seriously though, Buddhist and Michael's Bistro are the two decent places to eat on the corner. Don't get me wrong, we've all eaten at the College Inn. But that's just food. Buddhist will offer you a meal.

And if you have a late dinner, you can just join the bar crowd that will start filtering in around 11. By 12:30, the place will be packed! Tip well, they have excellent wait staff here.

Favorite Dish: Actually my FAVORITE dish is the beer.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Michie Tavern: Eat a colonial lunch ...

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The nearest place to eat to Monticello is Michie Tavern. There are tours, but the real reason to stop is for the "authentic" Colonial lunch. We gave it a pass last time because it's a HEAVY lunch and we still had some driving to do.

Favorite Dish: THE BILL OF FARE
    Apple Cobbler for Dessert

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Chili's: Quick Food Option

by cjg1 Updated Jun 22, 2010

Sometimes when you are on a roadtrip; the food options can be limited. This was the case when we were driving to Monticello. We had several chain option to choose from so we chose the one we felt we could handle best; Chilis.

Chili's is a national chain that serves ribs, burgers, chicken, sandwiches, salads, soups, steaks and assorted appetizers. We arrived rather early in the day so the place was pretty empty save a few table. We were seated at a booth for two; thankfully away from the table with the kids. On this particular day I wanted a salad so I ordered their Quesadilla Explosion Salad. Liz decided to have the Big Mouth Bites. I ordered an unsweetened iced tea and Liz had a diet Pepsi with lime.

Our food arrived rather fast and as always the salads here are big. My salad was a large bowl of Grilled chicken with cheese, corn relish, cilantro, tortillas strips and citrus-balsamic dressing. Cheese quesadillas were along the rim of the bowl. I always love this salad is is very tasty and filling. Liz's Big Mouth Burgers were very good but she only managed to eat two of the four mini burgers and I helped her polish off the fries and onion rings.

Service here was good and we both left full from our meal.

Instant Answers: Charlottesville

Comments

Charlottesville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Charlottesville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Charlottesville sightseeing.

View all Charlottesville hotels