Charlottesville Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Charlottesville

C and O Restaurant: Rustic dining in a wonderful Bistro

by blueskyjohn Written Mar 4, 2015

From the outside you would not think much of this place. The entrance is a little deceiving as to the location. At the corner of the building is and old deli sign with the restaurant name. This sign does not give an impression of the type of dining experience you will have.

Upon entering, there is a hostess booth to the right and a wood burning stove directly in front. Dining is broken into 6 areas. The upstairs dining area overlooks the C and O rail yard and former passenger station. The Mezzanine is the level you entered at with the wood burning stove. The walls are exposed brick and give a very cozy feel. There is a covered patio and terrace but since it was winter I did not check this out. I ate in the bistro section which technically is the basement. The bar is located on this level and table are closer together. It is a rather dark setting so I advise checking out their website for better photos of the interior.

To start, I ordered the Beef Short Rib and Potato Hash. This comes with a spicy mayonnaise sauce. The portion was a bit small but it was very good and reasonably priced at $7. For dinner I had the Steak Chinoise with gruyere-thyme potatoes and a tamari-ginger pan sauce. It was very good but a little pricy at $33.

The desserts sound great but I was not up for one. I will have to return.

Monday 5:00 pm – 1:00 am
    Saturday 5:00 pm – 1:00 am
    Sunday 5:00 pm – 1:00 am

The Local: Good food and hanging art - nice place

by blueskyjohn Written Feb 26, 2015

The Local is a very busy place and reservations are definitely a good idea. I didn't have once so but my name on the wait list. Fortunately there was a seat at the bar so I grabbed that. It's a loud place with a lot of regulars. The interior is all exposed brick but they have large colorful pieces of art hanging from the walls. Wish I could have taken a good picture because they were quite nice.

Ordering food at the bar was a bit troublesome. As I stated it is a busy place but they have only one bartender. He was busy the entire time and could hardly fill any drink orders at the bar because he was making drinks for the waitresses.

Finally a caught the attention of a waitress walking by. She was extremely nice and agreed to take my order. I ordered the “Double H Farm” Berkshire Pork Chop which is chili rubbed, grilled and served with mashed potatoes, shoestring sweet potatoes, and a chipotle adobo gravy. It was very good but the portion was small for $17.00. Only one pork chop which seemed to be half bone.

Unfortunately it was so busy I decided not to try and order anything else. However, the customer service here is outstanding! Because the waitress knew I was waiting long to place an order, the gave me 50% off my bill! I was not expecting that at all nor did I complain in the least.

The food was good and the customer service great so I would return. By the way, it was a Friday night and may explain why they were so busy. Would try on another weekend night.

Monday 5:30 – 10:00 pm
    Saturday 5:30 – 11:00 pm
    Sunday 5:30 – 10:00 pm

Maya Restaurant: Hip little place with great food

by blueskyjohn Written Feb 24, 2015

This is a great little place on Main Street. It's in an old brick building with some outdoor seating and tables inside with a full bar. I came on a Thursday night and had the place entirely to myself. Sat at the bar. The tables and bar were new but all the walls are exposed brick and gives the restaurant a cozy, historic feel. There are florescent chalk boards over the bar and kitchen window displaying menu and drink specials.

I eyed up the Ancho Rubbed Pork Tenderloin in a Carolina BBQ sauce with a side of sauteed leafy greens and corn bread. It was prepared perfectly and very tasty. However, the portion was on the small side and I did feel a bit hungry after the meal. It was a bit expensive for the portion at $23.

Monday 5:00 – 10:00 pm
    Tuesday 5:00 – 10:00 pm
    Wednesday 5:00 – 10:00 pm
    Thursday 5:00 – 10:00 pm
    Friday 5:00 – 11:00 pm
    Saturday 5:00 – 11:00 pm
    Sunday 11:00 am – 2:30 pm, 5:00 – 10:00 pm

Favorite Dish: Although I didn't have this, on the menu is a Mississippi Mud Pie with a crushed oreo crust. I was going back in a few days just for this dessert but due to bad weather, the restaurant was closed. Guess I have to return!

Salt Artican Market: Creative Sandwiches

by blueskyjohn Updated Feb 24, 2015

This is an interesting little place. Looks like an old service station converted into this sandwich shop. Mostly they do take out sandwich orders. Situated in the rural area of C'Ville after the entrance to Monticello and before you reach Ash Lawn. This is a perfect place for lunch when visiting these two locations.

I had the Chicken Salad with Grapes, Celery, and Apple with a bag of chips. It came on a baguette. Very tasty but there could have been more chicken salad. I also got a chocolate cookie. Seemed more like brownie dough baked into the shape of a cookie. Total for all three was about $13.00usd

I would go here again, especially when visiting the homes of Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe.

Monday Closed
    Tuesday 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
    Wednesday 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
    Thursday 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
    Friday 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
    Saturday 9:30 am – 6:00 pm
    Sunday 12:00 – 5:00 pm

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Bodo's Bagels: Don't miss Bodos!

by chewy3326 Updated Jul 20, 2011

Bodo's Bagels is a Charlottesville tradition- universally loved in the town, it's an inexpensive and tasty place to dine. There are two locations in Charlottesville, both of which serve bagels and bagel sandwiches, as well as omelets, soups, and salads. The Bodo's on the Corner (near UVA) has a very idyllic mural, while the one on Emmet is slightly roomier and has its own parking. Avoid on weekends, when Bodo's is always ridiculously crowded.

Favorite Dish: The lox and cream cheese bagels from Bodo's are amazing- but so is everything else on the menu! Try some avacado or any of their cream cheese spreads on a bagel for a good meal. For vegetarians, their tofu sandwich isn't bad, either!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

The Nook: Patio Shadowed by the trees~

by Yaqui Updated Jul 17, 2011

We had spent the day exploring Monticello, Michie Tavern Plantation and this lovely historical downtown mall. A really charming place filled with shops and restaurants. The Nook had this wonderful patio area located under these huge oak trees. We both had the open faced turkey sandwich dinner. Very delicious and very reasonably priced.

Open 7 Days a Week at 7am Mon-Fri, 8am Sat, 9am Sun
    Weekdays Close at 8p, 10p Fridays. Hours Change Seasonally
    Open Late for Pavilion Events!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Thomas Jefferson Visitor Center Cafe: Thomas Jefferson Visitor Center Cafe

by Yaqui Updated Jul 17, 2011

Located within the visitor center courtyard is a cafe. The menu includes sandwiches, salads, pastries, kid-friendly options, and hot and cold drinks. Groups can order box lunches in advance.

The Café is open daily year-round, with indoor seating for 24 and outdoor seating for 70 on the Café Terrace and Woodland Terrace, a wooden deck offering views of the surrounding forest.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

The Virginian: A timeless student hangout

by mikelisaanna Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Virginian is Charlottesville's oldest continuing restaurant. It was founded in the 1920s, and is still in the same location on University Avenue, in the middle of "The Corner", the commercial district adjacent to the University of Virginia. The Virginian's interior is long and narrow, featuring seating in booths along one wall and a bar along the other wall. The walls are covered with old photograph's of the University and Charlottesville.

The Virginian's menu features a range of burgers and sandwiches, as well as appetizers, salads, steaks, pasta, and seafood. For beer lovers, the Virginia features a good variety of microbrews in addition to the usual national brands.

• Study Abroad
    • Beer Tasting

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

The Nook: Quite good sandwiches

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Just before leaving charming Charlottesville we entered the Nook as the name (Indian?) sounded somewhat exotic for us. We didn't like fast-food like interior design, but the very hospitable (southern hospitality!) waiter after a short talk encouraged us to buy their sandwiches we ate walking along the downtown mall. The restaurant offers breakfasts, sandwiches, sandwich-platters and diner-style lunch platters.

Favorite Dish: We bought chicken and ham sandwich ($4.25 each) and they tasted good although it was nothing special.

THE NOOK, CHARLOTTESVILLE NEXT TO THE NOOK - ALBEMARLE FIRST BANK BLDG. DOWNTOWN MALL, CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA NATIONAL BANK BLDG., DOWNTOWN MALL DOWNTOWN MALL IN CHARLOTTESVILLE

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Sal's Caffe Italia: Italian capuccino and pizzas:-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

In the end of our visit to downtown Charlottesville we entered this Italian restaurant which served pizza from a brick oven, Italian subs and pasta. The restaurant was already decorated for incoming Halloween.

Favorite Dish: As we were not hungry after sandwiches from the Nook. We had only delicious grande capuccino with chocolade cake and juice . Next time I'd order pizza there.

SAL'S CAFFE ITALIA, DOWNTOWN MALL, CHARLOTTESVILLE SAL'S CAFFE ITALIA BEFORE HALLOWEN,CHARLOTTESVILLE SAL'S CAFFE ITALIA READY FOR HALLOWEEN SAL'S CAFFE ITALIA, SPECIAL OFFER ON THE WAY BACK TO CAR, CHARLOTTESVILLE
    • Hiking and Walking

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

The Hardware Store Restaurant: CLOSED - Eat at the Hardware Store!

by Hopkid Updated Apr 4, 2011

SINCE CLOSED

What else would you call a restaurant that's in a former hardware store? The menu at this place is huge: sandwiches, crepes, chicken, ribs, etc. The choices are many...it would take you qutie a while to read the entire menu. We went for lunch and had sandwiches which all have names. I forget the names of the sandwiches we had but I had a pastrami and corned beef with melted swiss on rye. It came with a pickle and an assortment of potato chips. Rita had the chicken salad and bacon on wheat. We also ordered sides of sweet potato fries (yummy) and cheese fries (just alright). The service was good as our drinks were kept filled.

The Hardware Store has outside seating on the Mall which is a great thing on a nice day!

Favorite Dish: Sandwiches, sweet potato fries

• scbelle's Profile Photo

The Downtown Grill: Juciy Steaks...

by scbelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Okay, so they have fish too, but I can't eat fish, so I've never been tempted. This place serves EXCELLENT steaks--great flavor!!! This is one of those places where everyone gets their own cut of beef, and then you share the veggies and sides. I suggest the mashed potatoes, onion rings, and asparagus! The iceberg wedge salad qith roquefort dressing (better than the balsamic) is to die for, and I hate iceberg...

And you're missing out if you don't get a (few) bottle(s) of a good red wine to complement your meal. God, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it...

OXO: Best Fine Dining

by scbelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

So what you might not know about Charlottesville is that its nestled in one of the wealthiest counties in the nation. The countryside is full of people like John Grisham, Dave Matthews, Sissy Spacek, Howie Long... and a bunch of other people who I can't remember. Anyway, as a result, Charlottesville has some FANTASTIC restaurants, and this is the best of them! The atmosphere is great--unless you are there for a peak weekend like homecoming or graduation. If so, be sure to specify that you would rather NOT sit outside when you make your reservation. Trust me.

Anyway, seated inside, the chef sends you a little appetizer to picque the interest of your palate--just sit back and take it all in, because the courses keep on coming, each one better than the next. Which leads me to my favorite dish....

Favorite Dish: CHOCOLATE SOUFFLE!!!!

Be sure to ask if the chocolate souffle is available that night, because it must be pre-ordered. I don't even really like chocolate, and this desert? A little piece of heaven... they serve it with a "just right" creme anglaise, and are not stingy with the sauce (don't you hate places that are stingy with the sauce?). So good. Sooooo good.

The C & O: A Dining Institution

by scbelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant is in all the guidebooks, and for good reason. They have an excellent menu of nightly specials, almost all with a french/continental flair, however, they love to experiment! And almost all of their experiments are successful!

There are three different seating areas, each with their own mood. Upstairs is a quiet dining room. The main floor is a relaxed but jovial atmosphere. The bar downstairs can get downright boisterous! Have had many fun meals here.

Favorite Dish: Everything is excellent. I like the chinois steak from the regular menu, but have a friend who only orders the game selections, which he says are fantastic.

Copacabana: Mmm... Brazilian....

by scbelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Okay, so the decor is awful. Now that I've gotten THAT off my chest: the food is fantastic! Yummy, yummy, yummy. I have never been to Brazil, but have listened to my parents rave about their cuisine for years. Now, they don't offer hearts of palm here the size of your wrist (my dad's fave while in Brazil), but given ingredient constraints, my parents found this to be very authentic.

Great food. The delicate flavors and perfect restraint with spices surprised me. Yum!

Favorite Dish: Everything I've tried here, and everything those who've dined with me have tried, has been great.

Instant Answers: Charlottesville

Comments

Charlottesville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Charlottesville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Charlottesville sightseeing.

View all Charlottesville hotels