Charlottesville Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Charlottesville

• scbelle's Profile Photo

Michael's Bistro: Nice meal on the corner?

by scbelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Climb up the stairs from the entrance on the corner into the warm and inviting atmosphere of Michael's Bistro. Even if you don't have time to eat, take time for a drink here. Great atmosphere. The food is very good, but not excellent. However, it is some of the best on the corner, where most restaurants cater to students.

• scbelle's Profile Photo

Buddhist Biker Bar: Buddhist!

by scbelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Third year, totally by accident, I suddenly realized that my favorite bar was a restaurant during the day! Crazy! Seriously though, Buddhist and Michael's Bistro are the two decent places to eat on the corner. Don't get me wrong, we've all eaten at the College Inn. But that's just food. Buddhist will offer you a meal.

And if you have a late dinner, you can just join the bar crowd that will start filtering in around 11. By 12:30, the place will be packed! Tip well, they have excellent wait staff here.

Favorite Dish: Actually my FAVORITE dish is the beer.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Michie Tavern: Eat a colonial lunch ...

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The nearest place to eat to Monticello is Michie Tavern. There are tours, but the real reason to stop is for the "authentic" Colonial lunch. We gave it a pass last time because it's a HEAVY lunch and we still had some driving to do.

Favorite Dish: THE BILL OF FARE
    Apple Cobbler for Dessert

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Chili's: Quick Food Option

by cjg1 Updated Jun 22, 2010

Sometimes when you are on a roadtrip; the food options can be limited. This was the case when we were driving to Monticello. We had several chain option to choose from so we chose the one we felt we could handle best; Chilis.

Chili's is a national chain that serves ribs, burgers, chicken, sandwiches, salads, soups, steaks and assorted appetizers. We arrived rather early in the day so the place was pretty empty save a few table. We were seated at a booth for two; thankfully away from the table with the kids. On this particular day I wanted a salad so I ordered their Quesadilla Explosion Salad. Liz decided to have the Big Mouth Bites. I ordered an unsweetened iced tea and Liz had a diet Pepsi with lime.

Our food arrived rather fast and as always the salads here are big. My salad was a large bowl of Grilled chicken with cheese, corn relish, cilantro, tortillas strips and citrus-balsamic dressing. Cheese quesadillas were along the rim of the bowl. I always love this salad is is very tasty and filling. Liz's Big Mouth Burgers were very good but she only managed to eat two of the four mini burgers and I helped her polish off the fries and onion rings.

Service here was good and we both left full from our meal.

• von.otter's Profile Photo

Michie Tavern: Food and History

by von.otter Updated Nov 26, 2009

“Good husbandry with us consists in abandoning Indian corn and tobacco, tending small grain, some red clover following, and endeavoring to have, while the lands are at rest, a spontaneous cover of white clover. I do not present this as a culture judicious in itself, but as good in comparison with what most people there pursue.”
    — Thomas Jefferson, from 28.June.1793 letter to George Washington

We purchased a money-saving combo admissions ticket when we visited Monticello. It included entry to Monticello, Ash Lawn-Highland and Michie (pronounced the Scottish way, Micky) Tavern, all within a short driving distance of each other.

After visiting Ash Lawn-Highland, we took lunch at Michie Tavern in was called an ordinary (see photo #3). In the colonies any tavern or inn that served a complete meal at a fixed price was referred to as an ordinary.

I was told that it was not an ordinary meal at all; the fried chicken (see photo #2) was excellent my source reported. Even I, a vegetarian, found something to eat in this colonial recreation. The servers were very helpful and understanding about directing me to the meatless dishes at the buffet style restaurant.

Michie Tavern, May 2009 A Lunchtime Meal at Michie Tavern, May 2009 The Ordinary at Michie Tavern, May 2009 Michie Tavern, May 2009
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• Tastings of Charlottesville: Horrible Service

by Virginiafoodie Written Apr 28, 2009

This is one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had. The food and wine were very good, but the service was so horrible we did not leave a tip. Our server rolled her eyes and was visibly annoyed when we asked about our food after waiting almost 2 hours politely. She also blamed us for not telling her earlier that we had a concert to attend later and needed to speed things along. I wrote a very reasonable email to the restaurant about the problems we had and never received a response, so as a result we are never going back.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Lemongrass: Good Thai

by apbeaches Written Apr 18, 2009

Charming Thai Restaurant, photographs & mementos gave an authentic Asian Feel. Service was good, menu was restaurant, & everything was delicious.

Favorite Dish: Red Curry chicken & lemon grass beef were a hit. Everything around us looked & smelled good.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Baja Bean: Mexican near the University

by apbeaches Written Apr 18, 2009

The first time we ate here were enjoyed the margarita's, shrimp enchiladas, and Mexican plate. Waitress was very friendly & food was exceptional. We went back & found the margarita's barely palatable, dinner ordinary & the restaurant sooo smokey. Yes, smoking is allowed in Restaurants in Virginia; I was amazed that so many people still smoke.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Aberdeen Barn: Steak Steak and more Steak

by Callavetta Written Sep 13, 2008

And yet most of our party had seafood! The Aberdeen Bar isn't the cheapest place in town and it has a decided 1980s feeling to it but the food was certainly good and there was plenty of it.

We had a business group here so we had an entire room to ourselves. The service was excellent and very patient with us, given that we had stragglers who came in (arriving on late flights) after everyone else had finished. Although beef is the specialty of the house, there are some excellent seafood options. Everything was prepared well and nobody left hungry.

Favorite Dish: The little croutons in the baskets of breadsticks were amazingly good. They were so savery that we fought over them. The little tub of spreadable cheese was a nice addition as well.

I opted for a local cabernet that was delicious. Unfortunately I just asked for what someone else had ordered so I don't know who the vintner was. There are a number of local wineries in Charlottesville.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Golden Corral: You name it, they have it

by Callavetta Written Sep 13, 2008

I'm not a fan of buffets. I think it harkens back to my childhood when we got to eat out very rarely (read once a year) and when we did it was something like Roots, where it was all you could eat and we planned for a week how we were going to make the most of the opportunity.

You always feel like you have to try so many different things that they all get lumped together and the flavors are lost.

We ended up at the Golden Corral because the company we are acquiring didn't have a big enough conference room to hold all of the employees while we told them about who we are and why we felt this is a good marriage. So we got to use a big room and afterwards all had lunch.

The buffet does seem to have everything! There's an all inclusive salad bar, fresh baked bread items, loads of meat choices, the fried chicken looked really good. I stuck with some pulled pork, a half plate of broccoli and some stuffing with gravy. Not too much damage. :-)

I completely skipped the big dessert bar. Man, could we have done some major damage to that when we were kids!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

The White Spot: Get a Gusburger with cheese and fries

by BillNJ Updated Apr 2, 2008

A tiny diner that is an institution in Charlottesville. There is a sign outside that says "Serving Gyros, Subs, Salads" (a salad at The White Spot?) -- but I've never actually seen someone order any of these items. Every time that I visited while a student at the University of Virginia (always late at night), there was a standing-room only crowd seeking the house speciality -- THE GUSBURGER!

Favorite Dish: Try the Gusburger with cheese, an ultra-greasy cheeseburger with a fried egg on top. Also, for the complete artery-choking White Spot experience, you must get the fries!

• NotBert's Profile Photo

Kyoto: Best service in town!

by NotBert Updated Nov 20, 2007

Located in the Rio Hill shopping center, Kyoto offers some of the best Asian food in Charlottesville. I can't say enough about the service here. The staff seem to genuinely care about providing the best possible experience for each and every person that walks through the door. They don't serve sushi, but everything I've tried on their Japanese/Chinese menu has been outstanding (I'd go as far as to say that they do Chinese food better than any of the dedicated Chinese restaurants in town). If you're traveling north of the downtown c'ville area I'd highly recommend stopping by and checking things out.

Favorite Dish: Hawaiian Scallops would have to take the cake for me. Battered sea scallops tossed in a sweet and sour sauce with chunks of pineapple and mango. Their specialty teas (made to order) are also out of this world, the cold citrus honey tea is my personal favorite.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Himalayan Fusion: Are You Adventurous?

by Tom_Fields Written Sep 19, 2007

Here is Indian food with a twist. With a touch of other Asian influences, this restaurant represents a bold step for a city the size of Charlottesville. The food is quite tasty, and service is good. It's only been open a short time; I hope it succeeds.

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken vindaloo. By the way, "vindaloo" is, as I understand it, the hottest style of curry. Fine for me, but for those with a more cautious palate, I recommend a milder dish.

Himalayan Fusion Inside the restaurant

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

The White Spot: Home of the famous Gusburger

by mikelisaanna Updated Sep 6, 2007

The White Spot is a legendary diner located on University Avenue in the "Corner" commercial district next to the University of Virginia. If you want a fancy meal, this is not your place. Seating is on stools at a lunch counter, and the menu features a variety of sandwiches and burgers, as well as gyros and souvlakis. The White Spot's most famous menu item is the Gusburger, which is a hamburger with a fried egg on it. The Gusburger is best eaten after midnight and a few beers, when it will provide excellent ballast for your stomach. If the Gusburger is not big enough for you, then try the Motorburger, which is even bigger.

The White Spot
    • Study Abroad

• Sal's: This place rocks!

by babystar6368 Updated Mar 25, 2007

I've been eating at this resturant scince I was able to eat solids; and I still love it. They make their pizza in a brick oven , and it tase like no other pizza in Charlottesville. This resturant is totaly family run and you can tell as soon as you walk in that its totaly comunity based. If you were only in Charlottesville one night, go to Sal's and if it's warm sit outside and watch the world go by as you enjoy wonderfull food and soak up the ambience of charlottesville.

Favorite Dish: Pizza , no doubt. Scicilain pizza, made by true scicillians. Nothing like it.

• School Holidays

Instant Answers: Charlottesville

Comments

Charlottesville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Charlottesville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Charlottesville sightseeing.

View all Charlottesville hotels