Charlottesville Restaurants

by cjg1
  • Restaurants
    by cjg1
  • A Lunchtime Meal at Michie Tavern, May 2009
    A Lunchtime Meal at Michie Tavern, May...
    by von.otter

Most Recent Restaurants in Charlottesville

• von.otter's Profile Photo

Michie Tavern: Food and History

by von.otter Updated Nov 26, 2009

Michie Tavern, May 2009

“Good husbandry with us consists in abandoning Indian corn and tobacco, tending small grain, some red clover following, and endeavoring to have, while the lands are at rest, a spontaneous cover of white clover. I do not present this as a culture judicious in itself, but as good in comparison with what most people there pursue.”
    — Thomas Jefferson, from 28.June.1793 letter to George Washington

We purchased a money-saving combo admissions ticket when we visited Monticello. It included entry to Monticello, Ash Lawn-Highland and Michie (pronounced the Scottish way, Micky) Tavern, all within a short driving distance of each other.

After visiting Ash Lawn-Highland, we took lunch at Michie Tavern in was called an ordinary (see photo #3). In the colonies any tavern or inn that served a complete meal at a fixed price was referred to as an ordinary.

I was told that it was not an ordinary meal at all; the fried chicken (see photo #2) was excellent my source reported. Even I, a vegetarian, found something to eat in this colonial recreation. The servers were very helpful and understanding about directing me to the meatless dishes at the buffet style restaurant.

• Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• Tastings of Charlottesville: Horrible Service

by Virginiafoodie Written Apr 28, 2009

This is one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had. The food and wine were very good, but the service was so horrible we did not leave a tip. Our server rolled her eyes and was visibly annoyed when we asked about our food after waiting almost 2 hours politely. She also blamed us for not telling her earlier that we had a concert to attend later and needed to speed things along. I wrote a very reasonable email to the restaurant about the problems we had and never received a response, so as a result we are never going back.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Lemongrass: Good Thai

by apbeaches Written Apr 18, 2009

Charming Thai Restaurant, photographs & mementos gave an authentic Asian Feel. Service was good, menu was restaurant, & everything was delicious.

Favorite Dish: Red Curry chicken & lemon grass beef were a hit. Everything around us looked & smelled good.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Baja Bean: Mexican near the University

by apbeaches Written Apr 18, 2009

The first time we ate here were enjoyed the margarita's, shrimp enchiladas, and Mexican plate. Waitress was very friendly & food was exceptional. We went back & found the margarita's barely palatable, dinner ordinary & the restaurant sooo smokey. Yes, smoking is allowed in Restaurants in Virginia; I was amazed that so many people still smoke.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Aberdeen Barn: Steak Steak and more Steak

by Callavetta Written Sep 13, 2008

And yet most of our party had seafood! The Aberdeen Bar isn't the cheapest place in town and it has a decided 1980s feeling to it but the food was certainly good and there was plenty of it.

We had a business group here so we had an entire room to ourselves. The service was excellent and very patient with us, given that we had stragglers who came in (arriving on late flights) after everyone else had finished. Although beef is the specialty of the house, there are some excellent seafood options. Everything was prepared well and nobody left hungry.

Favorite Dish: The little croutons in the baskets of breadsticks were amazingly good. They were so savery that we fought over them. The little tub of spreadable cheese was a nice addition as well.

I opted for a local cabernet that was delicious. Unfortunately I just asked for what someone else had ordered so I don't know who the vintner was. There are a number of local wineries in Charlottesville.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Golden Corral: You name it, they have it

by Callavetta Written Sep 13, 2008

I'm not a fan of buffets. I think it harkens back to my childhood when we got to eat out very rarely (read once a year) and when we did it was something like Roots, where it was all you could eat and we planned for a week how we were going to make the most of the opportunity.

You always feel like you have to try so many different things that they all get lumped together and the flavors are lost.

We ended up at the Golden Corral because the company we are acquiring didn't have a big enough conference room to hold all of the employees while we told them about who we are and why we felt this is a good marriage. So we got to use a big room and afterwards all had lunch.

The buffet does seem to have everything! There's an all inclusive salad bar, fresh baked bread items, loads of meat choices, the fried chicken looked really good. I stuck with some pulled pork, a half plate of broccoli and some stuffing with gravy. Not too much damage. :-)

I completely skipped the big dessert bar. Man, could we have done some major damage to that when we were kids!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

The White Spot: Get a Gusburger with cheese and fries

by BillNJ Updated Apr 2, 2008

A tiny diner that is an institution in Charlottesville. There is a sign outside that says "Serving Gyros, Subs, Salads" (a salad at The White Spot?) -- but I've never actually seen someone order any of these items. Every time that I visited while a student at the University of Virginia (always late at night), there was a standing-room only crowd seeking the house speciality -- THE GUSBURGER!

Favorite Dish: Try the Gusburger with cheese, an ultra-greasy cheeseburger with a fried egg on top. Also, for the complete artery-choking White Spot experience, you must get the fries!

• NotBert's Profile Photo

Kyoto: Best service in town!

by NotBert Updated Nov 20, 2007

Located in the Rio Hill shopping center, Kyoto offers some of the best Asian food in Charlottesville. I can't say enough about the service here. The staff seem to genuinely care about providing the best possible experience for each and every person that walks through the door. They don't serve sushi, but everything I've tried on their Japanese/Chinese menu has been outstanding (I'd go as far as to say that they do Chinese food better than any of the dedicated Chinese restaurants in town). If you're traveling north of the downtown c'ville area I'd highly recommend stopping by and checking things out.

Favorite Dish: Hawaiian Scallops would have to take the cake for me. Battered sea scallops tossed in a sweet and sour sauce with chunks of pineapple and mango. Their specialty teas (made to order) are also out of this world, the cold citrus honey tea is my personal favorite.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Himalayan Fusion: Are You Adventurous?

by Tom_Fields Written Sep 19, 2007

Himalayan Fusion

Here is Indian food with a twist. With a touch of other Asian influences, this restaurant represents a bold step for a city the size of Charlottesville. The food is quite tasty, and service is good. It's only been open a short time; I hope it succeeds.

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken vindaloo. By the way, "vindaloo" is, as I understand it, the hottest style of curry. Fine for me, but for those with a more cautious palate, I recommend a milder dish.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

The White Spot: Home of the famous Gusburger

by mikelisaanna Updated Sep 6, 2007

The White Spot

The White Spot is a legendary diner located on University Avenue in the "Corner" commercial district next to the University of Virginia. If you want a fancy meal, this is not your place. Seating is on stools at a lunch counter, and the menu features a variety of sandwiches and burgers, as well as gyros and souvlakis. The White Spot's most famous menu item is the Gusburger, which is a hamburger with a fried egg on it. The Gusburger is best eaten after midnight and a few beers, when it will provide excellent ballast for your stomach. If the Gusburger is not big enough for you, then try the Motorburger, which is even bigger.

• Study Abroad

• Sal's: This place rocks!

by babystar6368 Updated Mar 25, 2007

I've been eating at this resturant scince I was able to eat solids; and I still love it. They make their pizza in a brick oven , and it tase like no other pizza in Charlottesville. This resturant is totaly family run and you can tell as soon as you walk in that its totaly comunity based. If you were only in Charlottesville one night, go to Sal's and if it's warm sit outside and watch the world go by as you enjoy wonderfull food and soak up the ambience of charlottesville.

Favorite Dish: Pizza , no doubt. Scicilain pizza, made by true scicillians. Nothing like it.

• School Holidays

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Blue Moon Diner

by Ewingjr98 Updated Dec 15, 2006

We stopped at Blue Moon Diner on our way out of town. Though it looks like (and is!) a hole-in-the-wall greasy spoon, the food was excellent and filling, We had blueberry pancakes, omelets, and coffee for about $10.00. They have a few tables out on the street where you can enjoy the sunshine and watch the cars, people, and pets go by.

The Blue Moon Diner is also a popular spot for nightlife with a long-standing tradition of live music.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Zocalo

by Ewingjr98 Updated Dec 15, 2006

Zocalo

Zocalo is a unique restaurant, claiming to be Latin, but truly a unique blend of food and culture in downtown Charlottesville. I had a great steak dish with asparagus and potato sticks for about $26 and my travel companion enjoyed roasted chicken breast for about $18. The food was excellent and the outdoor setting spectacular.

Zocalo is in the heart of the downtown Charlottesville walking area.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Bashir's Taverna: For budget and hungry traveller :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Sep 9, 2006

BASHIR'S TAVERNA, INTERIOR; CHARLOTTESVILLE

There are many restaurants along the Downtown Mall. As I didn't know which one to choose for a lunch , I decided to enter Bashir's Taverna as there were quite many locals inside, so I could expect good food at reasonable price. And I like Mediterranean cuisine (Greek, Italian, Spanish, Moroccan) the restaurant offered. Lantern-lit interior in mixed industrial-mediterranean style was a bit dark but we got a table by the large window to the mall.

Favorite Dish: We had grilled chicken breast with honey mustard and spicy lamb sausages with mint sauce. Well, it tasted very good, especially lamb sausages, although I am not a dedicated fan of lamb meat. One, large dish with assorted salads and bread (enough for two) cost only $9.00 including tax. If you don't mind plastic cutlery, dishes and glasses Bashir's Taverna is a very good choice.

• no1birdlady's Profile Photo

Michie Tavern: Dine in a Historic Tavern.

by no1birdlady Updated Aug 6, 2006

View of Michie Tavern from parking lot.

Michie Tavern was established in 1784 by William Michie, a Scotsman. It was the social center of its community and also provided food, drink and lodging for travelers in those days. It was moved 17 miles to its present location which is close to Monticello. They only serve lunch and it's caffeteria style and features period dishes. The day we were here we could choose from fried chicken, pork barbecue, black-eye peas, green beans, potato salad, stewed tomatoes, cornbread or biscuits, and peach cobbler for dessert. After you fill your plate, you go to sit at long trundle tables in a dining room with wooden floors, a large brick fireplace, and are waited on by girls in period dress. The food is excellent and is very typical southern cooking. You can also take a tour of the original tavern and outbuildings for an additional price. It is only open from 11:15-3:30 from April through Oct. Hours are more restricted in winter.

Favorite Dish: The Hickory smoked barbecue was excellent. But the main attraction here is the historic surroundings.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

Instant Answers: Charlottesville

Comments

Charlottesville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Charlottesville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Charlottesville sightseeing.

View all Charlottesville hotels