Chincoteague Island Travel Guide

Chincoteague Island Things to Do

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Lighhouse from Assateague 4 more images

by grandmaR Updated Sep 19, 2011

I have moved all my tips on Chincoteague Island except the hotel tip to Chincoteague (the town) or under Assateague Island which is partly in Maryland and partly in Virginia. From Chincoteague you can access the Virginia part of the Wildlife Reserve, and National Seashore. The Lighthouse and the ponies are there too

• National/State Park
    • Beaches

• by Tammytoo Updated Apr 4, 2011

This was the best thing we have ever done in Chincoteague and we have been visiting the island for over 16 years. 5 boating trips to chose from for families and couples. It is interactive, learn how to clam, crab, etc. get stories from locals and really feel apart of the island and nature.

• PurePink's Profile Photo

by PurePink Updated May 29, 2010

For admission prices and hours of operation on Assateague Island, go to http://www.assateagueisland.com/island_info/assateague_info.htm

If you go to Chincoteague, you WILL SEE ponies...somewhere. There are at least two different places where you can actually touch them. Both are in town, on Chincoteague Island. One is next to the Mc Donald's and the other is a souvineer shop around the corner from there where two are kept in a corral out front. Those by the Mickey D's are open corrals where different ponies can just wander up, and wander up they do, because you can put a quarter into the machine and get some feed corn out and feed them. I've got several pics on my blog, as well as names of all the places I could scribble down as we drove past, to stay. I was visiting relative down south and they drove us to the islands for a long tour. There's an interesting old slave shack there, which is pictured on my blog, and nice bay-side rental houses, too. For a tiny little island, there was a lot to see and do. My blog is located at http://nxpense.blogspot.com
    Hope this helps! I can't wait to go back!!!

• Cycling
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Birdwatching

Chincoteague Island Hotels

Chincoteague Island Restaurants

• The Seashell Cafe 4 more images

by racingmoon Written Aug 27, 2008

When you are in the mood for something a little different, be sure and check out the Sea Shell Café. On Maddox Boulevard just before the entrance to the Refuge, the Sea Shell has sandwiches, salads and pastas In the evening the dinners are great. A bit different than the standard menu found elsewhere on the island.

Favorite Dish: Crab and Shrimp Martini appetizer
    Clam Chowder
    The freshly made desserts

Chincoteague Island Off The Beaten Path

• by ponynut Written Feb 1, 2010

Snug Harbor sits along Assateague Island.Its a place where time stands still.I dream about living on Chincoteague Island one day and Snug Harbor is the perfect location for a vacation while I wait for that retirement.The Snug Harbor cottages are very modest with the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in....but when you are on Chincoteague Island you won't be sleeping there is too much to do.I love waking up to the souds of the gulls flying by and the water gently brushing along the shoreline.Then jumping in my kayak and exploring the islands all day long to end back at Snug Harbor as the sun sets sipping my wine along the waters edge.Now that is a vacation!.

Chincoteague Island Favorites

• Little tiny ponies.

by INDYSTYX Written Oct 2, 2004

Favorite thing: This is one of the most beautiful places ive been to. Its off the beaten path but well worth the trip. If anyone has read about misty the horse from Chincoteague Islad then you know a bit about the place. Every year they have the annual pony swim, where the ponies swim from asateague island to chincoteague island. it is the town claim to fame. the fest is the end of july and the "saltwater" cowboys round up the ponies when they cross the water. a lot of ponies roam the island, and you also may see the wild ones in the refuge. what they didnt tell us was that there it a small area of ponies that are fenced in so your guaranteed to get a glimpse of the famous chincoteague ponies! they are the most beautifl ones youve ever seen!

Fondest memory: Being able to see a wild pony of my own, too bad it went by to fast for me to get a picture of!

• National/State Park
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Chincoteague Island

Comments

Chincoteague Island Travel Guide
Map of Chincoteague Island