Clarksville Favorites

by b1bob

Most Recent Favorites in Clarksville

Free Lakefest Shuttles

Lakefest Shuttles

Favorite thing: Because this isn’t a regular feature, I put it under general tips. It is only during the Lakefest that Clarksville has good mass transport. A free shuttle operates from the Mecklenburg County Veterans Memorial to the town limits where roads are cordoned off for the festival. Lee and I thought we would have to hoof it (walk) to the festivities downtown. It was a pleasant surprise to be able to ride there that hot day in air conditioned comfort.

House of Prayer

Fondest memory: My friend Lee is a regular churchgoer. When we met Daniel at the Lakefest fireworks display, he invited Lee and me to attend Sunday services at this interdenominational church in downtown Clarksville. It was like no other church service I had ever attended. For one thing, it is said that Sunday church is still the most segregated time of the week. However, not here. The races were more mixed than at any church service I had ever attended. Second, the congregation was a lot younger than it would have been had we gone to church in Virgilina with my grandma. Third, there was no organ music. I often wondered why churches and organ music seemed to be inextricably linked. The guest preacher Charles Young came up from Raleigh. He was charismatic, not boring and he looks rather like country singer Boxcar Willie. We went again two months later and the guest preacher was from Zimbabwe. This is our church away from home when we're in the Southern part of the state, but we have always had a guest preacher.

• Religious Travel

Good friends

gipper84, b1bob, Daniel

Fondest memory: Ever since Lee and I planned on attending Lakefest, we had planned on meeting Daniel Andre (from Virgilina) at Lakefest. Lee and I met in my hometown about 6 months later. At the 2005 Summerfest, I saw Daniel, but Lee was in Cancún. The reason this is on Clarksville is because we met him in Clarksville on both occasions. First, we met Daniel on the far side of the lake at Uppy's Convenience Store. Second, Daniel invited us to attend church with him at Clarksville's House of Prayer. After the church service, he invited Lee and me to join his family for lunch at the Chinese restaurant across the street.

Lakefest Fireworks

fireworks: Lakefest 2005

Fondest memory: At 9:30pm on the Saturday of the Lakefest, they have a fireworks display. It is adviseable to get to your vantage point early and bring a blanket or a lawn chair. gipper84 and I were advised earlier to go to the Uppy’s Convenience Store on the side of the lake opposite downtown Clarksville. That was a good vantage point because we were able to see the lake, all the boats, the old and new bridges, and the town in the distance. We took Daniel’s advice and arrived there early. It didn’t take us long to find Daniel and his family. As night fell, they made preparations to set off the fireworks. Unlike other displays, this one was long, loud, and vivid. You could see the people lighting the fuses on the old bridge in the distance with red flares.

• Festivals

• gipper84's Profile Photo

by gipper84 Written Jun 14, 2006

Favorite thing: I try to go to church most Sundays. Nat had this trip planned out to the last detail except we weren't sure where we would go to church down there. There are a lot of churches in Virgilina, but they cater more to the town's aging population. The church I attend back home is more lively, upbeat, and has a younger congregation. When we met Daniel at Uppy's that Saturday night he invited us to have fellowship with him and his congregation at the House of Prayer on Virginia Avenue in downtown Clarksville. Instead of a big organ, the music was accompanied by guitars and tambourines. Both times we went, the regular preacher wasn't there. The first time (in July, 2005), there was a faith healer from Raleigh. The second time (in September, 2005), the guest preacher came from Zimbabwe. No, it wasn't Daniel, not that week anyhow. On both occasions, we left the sermon more upbeat than before.

Fondest memory: House of Prayer and the Festival were both really memorable

Instant Answers: Clarksville

Comments

Clarksville Favorites

Reviews and photos of Clarksville favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Clarksville sightseeing.