Clarksville Local Customs

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Lakefest

by b1bob Updated Jun 17, 2006

Lakefest 2005

Every year, the 3d weekend in July, Lakefest, welcomes thousands of visitors. Saturday, the main day of the festival, brings the fun run, great food and arts and crafts all day through to dark, and more free live entertainment. On top of that, there are hot air balloons, gathering of the boats and fireworks over the lake. Lee gipper84 and I went together in 2005. We saw many street vendors- two of which we had met in Occoquan 40 days earlier and who remembered us both. Because Lee found his lunch back in Meherrin unsatisfactory, he had a barbecue from one of the vendors. He had a ball antiquing: I was just grateful to get into the air conditioning. We went to Virgilina 15 miles (25 km.) away to drop off our things and have supper before returning for the fireworks display.

• gipper84's Profile Photo

Lakefest

by gipper84 Written Jun 14, 2006

The Lakefest always happens the third full weekend in July since 1978. The town's main drag- Virginia Avenue- is lined with vendor stalls. We even ran into a vendor we met a month and a half earlier in Occoquan. There is no parade, but there is a fireworks display. The best place to see it is behind Uppy's gas station at the Route 15 and Route 58 interesection, where you can see the fireworks, the lake, and the town.

I first went with Mr. Southside. We got there late in the afternoon after touring Prestwould Plantation and it was hot. We had to take the new bridge around the downtown because the main drag was roped off and double back to park at a shopping center. Shuttle buses were there to take us to the rope limit just west of town. We went to Virgilina to have supper and relax and then went back to see the fireworks display. Not only did Nat and I hang out here in Clarksville, but I also met Nat's friend Daniel from Virgilina by way of Zimbabwe, his wife Elizabeth (who is now mayor of Virgilina), and their kids Megan and Keegan. Before we went to Uppy's, they told us where to meet them. I go to a lot of festivals in my work on campaigns, but Lakefest ranks as one of the best!

Instant Answers: Clarksville

Comments

Clarksville Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Clarksville local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Clarksville sightseeing.