Fairfax Restaurants

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

29 Diner: Inexpensive, good food in historical place

by matcrazy1 Updated Sep 30, 2006

MY OMELET :-), DINER 29, FAIRFAX

Nat (b1bob) chose this restaurant for our last meal on American soil in the end of our fantastic southern odyssey just before flight back to Poland from nearby Dulles Airport. And it was a perfect choice, thanks Nat.

The building is a preserved streamline modern diner and quite popular place as I noticed. The smoking section, with tabletop jukeboxes in small booths, however, has an old-fashioned feel. The menu is far larger - and far more eclectic - than you might find in a typical diner. Inexpensive breakfast is served 24 hours a day and 29 Diner is open 24 hours, 7 days a week. They are closed on Christmas Eve for about 12 hours and that's all. The only thing noteworthy about the breakfast is that it's the South, so you can get grits (a type of maize porridge).

According to the official website, the 29 Diner building was delivered to its location in 1947 and is registered Virginia Historical Landmark. Let me explain. A diner is a prefabricated restaurant building typical for the Northeastern United States especially New Jersey. Diners developed from mobile lunch wagons and are a favorite pop culture memory for many. In many areas, diners were superceded in the 1970s by fast food restaurants. I am suprised that this one in Fairfax survived. Today it's surrounded by development area of strip malls and car dealerships. The number 29 derives from the Route 29 by which it's located. In 1947, Route 29 was a rural place and the diner was in the middle of nowhere. It was basically a truck stop.

Favorite Dish: I and Urszula ordered omelettes which were huge and tasted great. They were served with delicious West Creek Grape Jelly packed in little paper bags like tea-bags. Additionally, what's important, we didn't pay much.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

La Patisserie: I wish we had this back in the day

by b1bob Written Mar 19, 2004

La Patisserie

Conveniently located in the comparatively new Johnson Centre, La Patisserie is the kind of place I wish we had when I was here to grab a bite on the way to the first class of the day.

Favorite Dish: When I've been here on subsequent visits, I get a turnover and some coffee.

Johnson Centre Food Court: More Choices

by b1bob Updated Mar 21, 2004

food court

My contemporaries and I would have given an arm and a leg for the dining choices now offered at George Mason University. In the Johnson Centre, under construction when I graduated, there is a food court with several choices including Chick-fil-A.

GMU Main Dining Hall: So bad the toast had bones

by b1bob Written Mar 14, 2004

Dining Hall

To be fair, a different company runs the George Mason University dining facilities than was there during my time. That said, the food at that time and place in history left a lot to be desired. The food was bland in general. I expected differently from Marriott, which is in the hospitality business and also catered (at that time) some airlines. At that time, there was this and a dining facility in the other Student Union Building that offered discounts with the meal plan. Now, there are more choices.

Brion's Grille: Brion's Grille

by b1bob Updated Sep 26, 2006

Brion's Grille

Brion's Grille is a neighbourhood restaurant across the street from George Mason University. It offers such things as sandwiches, barbecue, and salads for lunch, and all the abovementioned plus steaks for supper. It has the feel of a neighbourhood bar and grille in the decor and the mood. They have a monthly karaoke night every first Saturday. My only complaint about Brion's is the rather slow service. It wasn't busy at all at 3pm when my friend Lee and I came here for a late lunch, yet it took forever for someone to take our order.

en español, en français, em português

Favorite Dish: I had the Amy Umbach's Sierra Chicken, a Brion’s Grille Original, which is a juicy chicken breast with a spicy, golden barbecue sauce and smoked gouda. It came with fries. The barbecue sauce was a little more spicy than I expected, but not too much. Next time I order this here, I will ask for some more on the side for the fries. Lee had a plain chicken sandwich. Overall, I would say the food was great.

Luciano's: Italian Food--Great Specials

by seagoingJLW Written Feb 1, 2003

Italian Food

Their pizza is the best. Their dishes are superb

You can't go wrong here.

The restaurant is in the Tysons Corner Shopping Mall, upper level, near Lord and Taylor.

Favorite Dish: Their seafood with linguini is exceptional.

eCities: Café and Bar

by seagoingJLW Written Feb 2, 2003

Decor

This converted 15,000 square foot warehouse is decorated with billboard size ads for internet start ups. It caters mainly to tech workers. There are two regular bars and a sushi bar.

The restaurant side offers unusual dishes including rabbit meatballs with olives and almonds, grilled ostrich, and lobster strudel.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Cheesecake Factory: Always a Favorite

by cjg1 Updated Apr 21, 2010

Crab Cakes

We were headed back to our hotel after a long day and discussing food options. Out of the corner of my eye I spied The Cheesecake Factory. I must admit I am addicted to this place so I made a U-turn. The restaurant is located in the Fair Oaks Mall. This location is just like another others in the chain with large dining areas, a bar and a take out dessert case.

It was quite busy inside but we barely waited five minutes to be seated. The hostess sat us at a table for two; out of the way to the left (far away from the screaming kids having abirthday party). I must admit I know the menu here like the back of my hand so I never need to peruse the menu to make a choice.

Our waiter Craig came over with some bread and took our drink order. I decided on the Tropical Iced Tea and Liz went for a Strawberry Dacquiri. We decided to split the artichoke spinach dip as an appetizer. For an entree I went with my favorite; the Asian Caramel Chicken...Yum! Liz decided to have the appetizer sized crab cakes. Our spinach dip came out first and was excellent as always. The dip is creamy and cheesey with warm tortilla chips for dippping.

My chicken is always delicious with that spicy yet sweet caramel sauce. Liz loved her crab cakes which I must admit are quite nice with a good amount of crab meat inside. I had to have my favorite dessert; Stephanie's Red Velvet Cheesecake but was too full to eat it here so I asked for it to go. Liz wanted something sweet and ordered a dish of vanilla ice cream with hot fudge sauce. They really went overboard with the ice cream; giving her three large scoops. The hot fudge sauce was in a side bowl on the side so she could add as little or as much fudge as she wanted to the ice cream. Needless to say she loved her dessert but left more than half of it in the bowl.

It's always a good meal here with excellent service and I think that's why I continue to visit this chain of restaurants.

Favorite Dish: The Asian Caramel Chicken is my hands down favorite at the Cheesecake factory. It really is delicious with its swet and spicy sauce.

Peking Gourmet Inn: The Tops in Chinese Food

by seagoingJLW Updated Feb 1, 2003

Chinese Food

Peking Gourmet Inn is a find. Best known as the restaurant that George Bush Sr. frequented when he was President, you can see the table with the bullet proof glass surrounding it that wa put in for him. And you might run into George Bush, Jr.

The food is great. Try the Peking Duck, the Juo Yen shrimp, or the Szechuan beef. and don't forget to try the seafood asparagus soup.

Favorite Dish: The Peking Duck is more expensive than the other dishes.

Le Canard: French Food

by seagoingJLW Written Feb 1, 2003

Le Canard

With candles, fresh roses and soft piano music, your food is enhanced by the atmosphere. The menu is excellent. While the restaurant is known for its duck, other dishes are great, too.

Mobil Travel Guide awards it three stars.

Favorite Dish: Reservations are a MUST.

29 Diner: 29 Diner

by b1bob Updated Nov 24, 2004

29 Diner

I love diner food because it tastes good, is inexpensive, and stays with you. Eric and I both took omelettes for lunch. He preferred the ham and cheese, I chimed in with the Spanish omelette. That was some good food which, in my opinion, beats the type of food they serve in those snooty restaurants that are long on atmosphere and short on good food. (They put too much sauce on it, they cook their tomatoes, and they don't cook their green beans.) I used to eat at the 29 Diner all the time at university and I was happy in May, 2000 that it was still there when my friend Eric and I ate there and in November, 2004 when I recommended it to Matt and Urszula for their last meal on U.S. soil at the tail end of their Southern Odyssey. This is just my kind of place.

Favorite Dish: Spanish omelet.

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

HOOTERS: Hooters in Fairfax Va

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 21, 2006
    Hooters

My husband has always wanted to try out a HOOTERS. So, we were in Washington for a long week, sort of a second honeymoon and we decided since we were kidless, to try out HOOTERS..It was pleasantly nice.
    Gave me the feel of a BAR instead of a restaurant..I go to alot of restaurants that have full service bars and a full line of Bar drinks, and they feel like a Restaurant..this one felt like "ALL BAR"..but he enjoyed it.

The atmosphere was fun and young...lol

Favorite Dish: My husband got a "Build your own burger" with all the trimmings plus grilled mushrooms, onions, bacon and extra cheese. He got the baked beans and cole slaw as his side orders...VERY good burger..
    I ordered the Nachos with grilled Chicken..it was good but VERY HUGE...had to take most of it back to the hotel. We also ordered a basket of curly fries, he had a sprite and I had unsweetened tea..

The meal was very good and the cost was $26.00 including a tip of over $3..not too bad..

• Africancrab's Profile Photo

The Cheesecake Factory: Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake

by Africancrab Written Aug 13, 2012
    The Cheesecake Factory

Another Cheese Cake Factory within a week, can you tell I’m becoming addicted? Well this one was a lucky one since I did not know there was one in Fairfax, a town only a few minutes from where we are in Herndon. We were going shopping at the big Mall in Fairfax, when we decided to have a small meal at the Cheese Cake Factory on the ground level of the Mall. This one was much more impressive and bigger than the one in Baltimore. It looked like one of those high priced restaurants in New York.

The interior was warm, clean and chic. It was early in the evening (5:00 pm) so it was not busy, save for a few people sitting outside. It was a beautiful day too with little moisture in the air, making the outside sitting the preferred sitting for all that arrived at that time.

We did exactly what we did in Baltimore; ordered soup, salad and one appetizer. We did not want to get too filled up to not have our cheese cake. Mark and I ordered the soup of the day, which happened to be a delicious Wild Mushroom Soup, while Desire went for the Greek salad. To this we added 1 appetizer, a plate of calamari.

The cheese cake orders changed as well; I ordered the lemon-raspberry cheese cake instead of the ultimate red velvet cake. Mark changed to the Chocolate cheese cake, while Desire had the Pinacolada instead of the mango-key lime. The portions are big.

The welcome and wait staff were pleasant and polite. The lady that served us was one of the most pleasant service people I have encountered in any restaurant in the last 4 years. She knew what she was doing. She was courteous, polite and friendly; she had a conversation with us but knew not to over step her bounds, checked in with us to make sure all was going well, and wished us a great evening after our meal was done. I really did not see or experience anything negative while at the restaurant.

PS: “If it looks good, eat it” – Andrew Zimmerman.

• Tia's &The Silver Diner: Tia's &The Silver Diner

by LoboAl Written Aug 23, 2002

Tia's- Reasonable prices and great happy hour daily. Try the swirl margarita, the best!! /
    Silver Diner- Great food, great prices and the staff are second to none. Very friendly!!

Favorite Dish: Tia's- the chicken wrap /
    Silver Diner- Ham and cheese omelet

Serbian Crown Restaurant: Authentic Russian and French

by seagoingJLW Written May 17, 2003
    Proud Employees

Specialties can be very elegant. Lots of Russian specialties on the menu like kulebiaka (salmon for two in a pasty shell with lobster sauce.)

There is live gypsy music and a piano bar.

Favorite Dish: My personal favorite is sea scallop Provençal.

Instant Answers: Fairfax

Comments

Fairfax Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fairfax restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fairfax sightseeing.