Fairfax Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Fairfax

• As Seen On TV: As Seen On TV Fair Oaks Mall Fairfax, VA

by Larry1985 Written May 8, 2012

**WARNING** Stay far away from this store. I purchased an ab machine for over $100 at the As Seen On TV Store in the Fair Oaks Mall and came home to put it together and when I opened the box it had a cheap plastic piece that was already BROKEN. I took the product back to the store IN THE SAME DAY and was told that I could NOT receive a refund, only store credit. Now I would have switched it out for the same ab machine, but they did not have anymore of them in stock (and I am glad now because it was $40 higher than Walmarts price). The store policy is by the register and clearly states that you can receive a cash/credit refund within 30 days if you have the product in the box, receipt, and if the product is defective. Well I would consider a product that was broken in the box as defective, however the store manager was out to make a quick buck and DID NOT HONOR THE STORE REFUND POLICY. After trying to get a refund for 45 minutes, I had to settle for an in store credit for more JUNK that I didn't need. Clearly the owners are snakes who do not care about the customer or maintaining a reputable business, and ultimately out to make a quick buck and never honor any returns. I am filing an official complaint with the better business bureau and HIGHLY ADVISE anyone who is in the Fair Oaks Mall not to step foot into this CON ARTIST'S Store.

What to buy: Nothing. In addition to not honoring the Store Refund Policy, all products are overpriced. I found the same ab machine $40 less at Walmart!

What to pay: More than other stores selling the same product.

• Study Abroad

Charming Charlie: Accesories

by cjg1 Updated Jun 21, 2010

Charming Charlie is located in the Fair Oaks Mall. The store sells women's clothing hoes and accesories at reasonable prices. My wife is a fan of this store and we always stop in when we are in the area.

What my wife likes about this store besides the great prices is the store's layout. The items are arranged by color; all the blue items in one area, purple in another, etc. They have a nice selction of shoes, dreses, tops, handbags, hats, scarves, jewelry, candles and other items in a rainbow of colors and designs.

What to buy: Anything you'd need to complete an outfit.

What to pay: My wife is a big fan of hats and she found a nice black sun hat at this store for $22 which is a great price. She has also picked up several necklace and earring sets for $9.95. They are well made and in fun colors.

Baker's: Shoe shopping....

by cjg1 Updated May 4, 2010

Liz's new shoes

Baker's is a shoe store for woman. Liz saw some shoes in the window and decided to go inside nevermind the big Sale sign. The salesman was in for it; she had him running around to get her shoes in her size. I must admit there were several very nice pairs in the store from sandals, to heels, to boots.

After trying on many pairs; Liz decided on four pairs of shoes. One black pair of high heeled sandals, a multicolored pair of heels with ankle ties and two pairs of white high heeled sandals. It was bonus that the shoes were on sale and we wound up paying less than the sticker price. The four pairs of shoes were a little over $300 which was a bargain.

Target: Shopping for Forgotten Toiletries

by cjg1 Updated May 3, 2010

Target carries everything a person could need from furniture, clothing, household items, toiletries, laundry detergent, toys, electronics, food, etc.

I forgot to pack hair gel and knew Target would carry the brand I wanted. They had a large selection of hair gel but surprisingly not the brand I usually buy at home. Liz convinced me to try something new so I picked up some Axe hair gel. She found some Strawberry Orbit gum for the plane since my girl loves her gum.

What to pay: The hair gel was $3.79 and the gum was $1.59 for the pack of three.

Barnes & Noble: Shopping for Books & Travel Guides

by cjg1 Updated May 3, 2010

I am a self confessed Barnes and Noble junkie. I can't resist going in to any Barnes & Noble when I see one. On this particular trip though there was a purpose. We had just recently booked a trip and needed a guide book and map. This location has a very well stocked travel section and were were able to find the most recent DK book on the area as well as a pocket map.

I also found some other books that were a must for me on railroads. Blood and Steel was on my list for some time but I hadn't found it yet in a store until this trip.

White House Black Market: Women's Clothing

by cjg1 Updated May 3, 2010

White House Black Market is a store that carries women's clothing such as dresses, skirts, pants, tops, accesories and shoes. My wife likes this store and has several of their dresses and clothing items. We stopped in here just to browse but found some nice items that she wanted for an upcoming trip.

The store was definitely on the small size compared to the shop we frequent at home. The sales girls were frenzied so I played clerk and found sizes for my wife. Liz decided on a pair of capris that I actually liked; I'm no fan of pants. She also found a nice blue and ***e corset top and a blue pair of flips.

What to pay: The flips were $28. The capris were $78. The top was $98.

REI: Shopping for Outdoor Equipment

by cjg1 Updated May 3, 2010

REI sells a large selection of fishing, camping, hiking and outdoor gear. I wanted to find a waterproof bag and an insert for my back pack. I was able to find the waterproof bag but they didn't have my backpack insert available in the store (it was an online only item). I did manage to find a nice plane sleeping mask for an upcoming trip. I like to have the light blocked when I want a restful sleep on a plane especially for long flights.

What to pay: The water proof bag was $20. The sleeping mask was $14.99.

The Verizon Store: Picking Up Phone Extras

by cjg1 Updated Apr 19, 2010

I decided to stop at the Verizon store to pick up an extra battery for my Droid. I was unsure I'd be able to charge my phone of the plane and didn't want to arrive with a dead battery after a long flight. They had the battery in stock and it was only $40.

Jos. A Banks: Work Shirts

by cjg1 Updated Apr 19, 2010

Jos. A. Banks is where i buy my work shirts. They are a good quality and I love their Traveler's shirt. The Traveller's shirts is a wrinkle resistant shirt which is perfect for me who hates ironing. The shirts come in a variety of fabrics and colors. They even make french cuff which is a favorite style shirt of mine.

On this particular day they were having a 50% off sale. We decided to have a look and I found two shirts. One was a blue shirt swith pink stripes and french cuffs. The other shirt was a white textured shirt with regular cuffs. I was happy to find two shirts I liked and on sale...bonus!

What to buy: Jos. A Banks sells suits, jackets, dress pants, ties, casual shirts, costa, belts, cufflinks, tuxedos and casual pants.

What to pay: Affordable.

Ann Taylor: Upclass women's clothes

ANN TAYLOR, FAIR OAKS MALL, FAIRFAX COUNTY

Ann Taylor is an American group of specialty apparel retail chain stores for woman. The brand is marketed under three divisions, Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, and Ann Taylor Factory. Ann Taylor in Fair Oaks Mall offers upscale women's clothing, generally on the conservative side.

What to buy: The store offers classic styled suits, separates, dresses, shoes and accessories. They subdivide their fashions into work clothes, work casual and week-end casual. Urszula liked some suits classified as work casual.

What to pay: Expensive or very expensive. That's why Urszula was the only one consumer, I suppose. A suit she liked cost over $500.

Harry and David: Sweet gifts

HARRY AND DAVID, FAIR OAKS MALL, FAIRFAX COUNTY

Harry and David company is best known for beginning the business of mail-order direct marketing of fruit. This was done through their "Harry and David" brand, which specializes in high-end gift baskets and holiday gift towers. Both I and Urszula liked this store full of various delicatesse food (dry fruits, chocolate, sweets, wine etc.) packed in colorful little boxes, jars or put in baskets.

Well, I didn't like a woman working there that day. Details in my General Tip.

What to buy: Urszula bought little, funny box of chocolate truffles for her mother. They looked great and tasted delicious :-).

What to pay: Expensive or very expensive stuff in my opinion. Little box of chocolate truffles cost $8.26 incl. tax. Large sweet gift towers and baskets cost even over $150.

• Business Travel

Washington Redskins: The Redskin football club shop

WASHINGTON REDSKINS, FAIR OAKS MALL

At first looking at the Indian logo and name of this store in Fair Oaks Mall I thought it's some Indian (Native American) store. Shortly I got to know that the Washington Redskins are a professional American football team based in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Well, there is considerable controversy over the team's name and logo because various Native American activist groups view them as disrespectful and offensive. The Redskins are headquartered and train at Redskin Park near Dulles International Airport and Fairfax. I was told that it's the most valuable sports team in the United States and also the most popular. So, it was interesting to see their shop in Fair Oaks Mall.

What to buy: Everything related to the Washington Redskins football team from their helmets and T-shirts to various club mascots, stickers and flags.

What to pay: I don't know average prices for sport goods in the USA but I've found Redskins T-shirts sold at a price over $15 expensive.

As Seen On TV: Whatever you've seen on TV and more

AS SEEN ON TV, FAIR OAKS MALL, FAIRFAX COUNTY

As seen on TV is a nameplate for products advertised on Television for direct-response mail-order through a toll-free 800 number in the USA. But you no longer have to wait even a few weeks for whatever you are looking for to be shipped to you. You can now go to As Seen On TV in a shopping mall near you.

What to buy: As Seen on TV in Fair Oaks Mall offers a lot of intersting gadgets you might not have thought possible from one touch can opener to liquid leather repair kit. Some things sold here border on the absurd, but some things can be useful.

What to pay: The prices are pretty reasonable. Many gadgets are only $19.95 or $14.95, but that's a bargain when you consider you won't have to pay shipping and handling.

Hecht's: Upclass department store

HECHT'S, FAIR OAKS MALL, FAIRFAX COUNTY

Hecht's was a large chain of upclass department stores located mainly in the mid-Atlantic region of the United States. Hecht's I visited in Fair Oaks Mall doesn't exist any more. It was converted to Macy's in 2006.

What to buy: Clothing, footwear, beauty products, bedding, furniture, jewelry, and housewares.

What to pay: A lot.

J. C. Penney: Mid-range department store

JC PENNEY, FAIR OAKS MALL, FAIRFAX COUNTY

J. C. Penney in Fair Oaks Mall is a typical Penney's as locals simply call this mid-range chain of American department stores based in Plano, Texas, a suburb of Dallas I visited about three weeks before Fairfax. The company is also a leading Internet retailer.

What to buy: Just about everything is available at J.C. Penney:
    - clothes (women's, man's, junior's, kids and baby)
    - shoes
    - home
    - toys
    - gifts.

What to pay: Mostly average prices with some stuff more upscale.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Fairfax

Comments

Fairfax Shopping

Reviews and photos of Fairfax shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fairfax sightseeing.