Fairfax Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Fairfax

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Brookstone: Tons of innovative and special articles

by matcrazy1 Updated Sep 27, 2006

BROOKSTONE, FAIR OAKS MALL, FAIRFAX COUNTY

Thanks to Nat (b1bob) we visited the first Brookstone ever in Fair Oaks Mall and I liked it a lot. Brookstone is a chain of retail stores in the United States.

What to buy: Brookstone sells many types of products ranging from massage chairs to radar detectors. The company has its own brand and makes many electronic gadgets, one of the store's main focuses. So, it's the place to see the latest gadgets that are for sale.

Choose what you want:
    - health and fitness
    - outdoor living
    - home and office
    - hard to find tools
    - travel and auto
    - tempur-pedic.

What to pay: This is definetely not a cheap place. I remember cool leather massage chairs for over $3,000!

• Business Travel

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Fair Oaks Mall: Largest shopping mall

by matcrazy1 Updated Sep 27, 2006

FAIR OAKS MALL, FAIRFAX COUNTY

Urszula (matcrazy0), Nat (b1bob) and I were killing time in Fair Oaks Mall out of the cold rain before heading to nearby Washington Dulles International Airport and flight back to Poland.

Fair Oaks Mall is the largest shopping mall I visited in Washington metropolitan area and may compete with the largest ones I visited in Poland. There are 180 stores, services and restaurants as well as US chain department stores: Macy's (mid-range or rather all-range department store), Lord & Taylor (the oldest US department store chain - 1826; upclass), Hecht's, Sears (mid-range chain of international department stores) and JCPenney.

For European visitor it may be some kind of fun to discover unknown in Europe chain shops and department stores. Urszula simply loved it! Indeed, even today in times of global market, there are partly (!) different clothes and other stuff in US shopping malls than in Europe. A few interesting shops of Fair Oaks Mall are described in my next tips.

What to buy: Just about everything imaginable is available at Fair Oaks Mall.

What to pay: Some shops are tailored to the thrifty and some are more upscale.

• Luxury Travel
    • Women's Travel

Harry and David: An upmarket Hickory Farms

by b1bob Updated Jun 17, 2005

Harry and David

Harry and David is a chain of food gift stores based in Medford, Oregon. They like to locate themselves in the more upmarket shopping malls in the country, so I guess Southside Plaza (in one of Richmond's less distinguished neighbourhoods) will have to slog on awhile longer without it. They offered free samples. On the day Matt, Urszula, and I wandered in their Fair Oaks Mall location, the free samples were covered dried fruits. I was half tempted to have them bag some up for me for the lonely trip home later that afternoon.

What to buy: Harry and David offers all manner of food gift baskets. It's sort of like an upmarket Hickory Farms. I got on fine with the gentleman behind the register, but this persnickety woman employee (who looked, to me, like a Harry or a David) gave Matt a ration of grief for taking a photo of the storefront. (What would you expect a VT member to do?) There were no signs prohibiting it. I can't believe they bought candy for Urszula's mama from this store after the way they were treated. That's why I didn't buy those dried fruit snacks to eat on the way home. To avoid all this flak in the future, friends and neighbours, stand off at an angle so they can't see you do it. As far as I know, this is only a characteristic of the Fair Oaks Mall location of Harry and David and not a reflection of how the chain does business.

What to pay: It's a little on the upmarket side, folks.

Fair Oaks Mall: Fair Oaks Mall

by b1bob Updated Nov 17, 2004

Fair Oaks Mall

Fair Oaks Mall contains more than 100 shops and restaurants of every price range and description. Ironically, I have been here more since I graduated and moved back to the south than I did during my years at George Mason University. I first went here my very first night at university, the Friday before classes started when my (then) new room mate Joe and I took supper there. A lot of times when James (from the Washington Hall days) flies east from California, we let Tiffany loose while we do our own thing elsewhere or visit Brookstone to see the latest gadgets (we can't afford) that are for sale. James likes to try out those leather massage chairs. Brookstone would make more money if they charged folks trying out the chairs than they would from selling them outright! Sometimes, we reunite with Tiffany and take lunch or supper right there in the mall, usually at Bennigan's. the last time I was there in November, 2004, Maciek, Urszula, and I were killing time there out of the cold rain.

What to buy: Just about everything imaginable is available at Fair Oaks Mall.

What to pay: Some shops are tailored to the thrifty and some are more upscale.

Fair City Mall: Fair City Mall

by b1bob Updated May 16, 2004

Fair City Mall

Locals can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Fair City Mall is the largest strip mall in Fairfax, if not the whole of Northern Virginia. There are over 50 stores. Among the most prominent are Old Country Buffet, Shopper's Food Warehouse, Babbage's, Pfaltzgraff Factory Store, Kemp Mill Music, and Stephen Adler Big & Tall Men's Store. (A couple of nights at Old Country Buffet and menfolk might have to shop at Adler's).

George Mason University Bookstore: Textbooks and things

by b1bob Updated Mar 19, 2004

George Mason Bookstore

When I attended George Mason University, the bookstore was a modest shop on the ground floor of S.U.B. 2 where the mail room is. The current bookstore is in the modern Johnson Centre and is two storeys high with a grandiose staircase. There is even a buggy inside that sells Starbuck's. (Can one in Roxboro be far behind?)

What to buy: Like the old bookstore I remember, they sell books and buy them back at the end of each semester. There is also plenty of art supplies and university memorabilia.

University Mall: University Mall

by b1bob Written Mar 19, 2004

University Mall

University Mall is a modest strip mall located just off the campus of George Mason University on the corner of Braddock and Ox Road. It is a small strip mall anchored by Giant Foods and a number of smaller stores. There used to be an off-campus book store that sold and bought back GMU textbooks. Among the stores and restaurants there are Giant Foods, Kinko's Copies, Dunkin Donuts, McDonald's, Elie's Deli, TCBY, Gymboree, and a Hallmark store. Its location on the corner of Braddock and Ox Roads is very convenient for students to get munchies and various other things.

Instant Answers: Fairfax

Comments

Fairfax Shopping

Reviews and photos of Fairfax shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fairfax sightseeing.