George Mason petitioned the Virginia General Assembly in 1790 to put the court house in a more central location in the county. It is located slap in the middle of town where Little River Turnpike and Ox Road cross, a stone's throw from the newer, more state of the art complex. During the War for Southern Independence, it was occupied by the Union troops and used as a headquarters and lookout station. The old Fairfax Court House carries on as a look back to a time when the court house was more central to community activity. Open by appointment only.
Old Town Hall
When it was built at the turn of the last century, what is now called the Old Town Hall was the centre of cultural life in Fairfax. Its architecture is a mixture of styles. The city now uses the hall to rent out for special events and even private folks with enough money can rent it out for things like wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, etc.
George Washington's Mount Vernon
Mt. Vernon was home to George Washington for over 45 years. The estate, called Little Hunting Creek Plantation, was originally granted to Washington's great grandfather in 1674. George Washington inherited the property in 1761 upon the death of his brother Lawrence's widow.
The home has been restored to its 1799 appearance. The preseervation includes 500 of the original 8,000 acres. There are 20 structures and 50 acres of gardens. The collection includes 15,000 objects. Among the objects: Washington's bed in which he died, his sword, and the key to the Bastille presented to him by the Marquis de Lafayette.
A quote from George Washington:
"No estate in America is more pleasantly
situated than this..."
George Washington, 1793
- Museum Visits
- Historical Travel
National Firearms Museum
The collection includes actual artifacts that were with the Pilgrims as they left the good ship Mayflower, marched with the American militamen at Lexington and Concord, camped near Gettysburg with Robert E. Lee, helped a young Annie Oakley put food on her family's table, or stood on the winner's platform at the Olympic Games.
The museum is open from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm daily except for major holidays.
- Museum Visits
- Historical Travel
Steven F Udvar-Hazy Center, National Air and Space
This center, part of the Air and Space Museum, is in the process of moving from the Paul Garber facility in Suitland, MD to Dulles Airport. It will be south of the main terminal near the intersection of Routes 28 and 50. The new 760,057 square foot building will have xhibit hangars, an observation tower, a large format theater, classrooms, archives, restaurants, and gift shops.
There will be 200 aircraft and 135 spacecraft on display, including the Space Shuttle "Enterprise" and the B-29 superfortress "Enola Gay."
This museum will open in December, 2003
The drawings are courtesy of NASA
- Family Travel
Fair Oaks Mall
The Fair Oaks Mall is a typical suburban shopping center with food options and stores. We found ourselves in the mall on several occasions to do a bit of shopping and to grab a bite to eat at the Cheesecake Factory.
The mall has a food court area, JC Penny's, Sephora, Jos. A Banks, Macy's and a variety of other stores ranging from inexpensive to designer.
Fairfax Corners is an outdoor mall that is surrounded by several chain restaurants. Stores and restaurants such as REI, White House/Black Market, Chicos, PF Changs, Chipolte Grill and California Pizza Kitchen are here at this mall.
We stopped here to shop at REI for some outdoor supplies for an upcoming trip as well as White House Black Market for some clothes for Liz.