Fredericksburg Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Fredericksburg

Shane's Rib Shack: East Coast BBQ...might be worth something here

by aphrodyte Updated Feb 24, 2014

casual seating area

Primarily an east coast BBQ chain.

You order at the counter and they give you a number and bring the food out to you.
    The food itself was surprisingly tender and wasn't dripping in sauce. It had a good amount of seasoning and flavor. It was very good! It's not a Carolina styled BBQ sauce...which is surprising.

At the table they provide additional BBQ sauces (hot, spicy, original, mustard) vinegar available at the condiment/drink bar.

BBQ Sauces:
    HOT - had 'heat', but wasn't very spicy.
    SPICY - had a nice sweet hot flavor.
    ORIGINAL - standard mesquite flavor.
    MUSTARD - sweet mustard flavor.

Great causal dining, staff was very friendly and the restaurant was clean.

Store Hours
    Mon-Thu, 11 AM-9 PM
    Fri-Sat, 11 AM-10 PM
    Sun, 11 AM-9 PM

Favorite Dish: I picked the Shack Sampler $11.99
    It comes with 1/4 lb baby back ribs, 1/4 lb of shredded pork, 1/4 lb of chicken. It also comes with two sides and texas toast. For my sides I picked baked beans and cole slaw.

My cousin had the chicken tenders and it wasn't dry, which is very good...she's a picky eater.

Tea Tyme and What Nots: Enchanting Moment at Tea Tyme

by aphrodyte Updated Feb 20, 2014

Entrance of Tea Tyme & What Nots

The shop's décor had a feel of a lovely old-home parlor. Nothing matches with anything else but I think that adds to ambiance.

I met the owner of the tea shop and was pleasantly delighted to find her welcoming and knowledgeable about the teas that she sold in her shop, as well as, capable of blending a few teas of her own. They have a very large variety of teas to select from and she did recommend me to stay and try a couple of other blends of teas before I went. She was a bit persistent about having me try an additional blend or two and I almost declined, but it has always been my rule that if someone recommends something, you should listen! I wasn't disappointed.

The employees are kind, cordial and pleasant in general and I was served my tea at an appropriate time. They served the tea with the bags in the kettle (3-4 cups) and offered the use of the tea timer.

I enjoyed the use of the tea timer, it gave me a sense of empowerment on the strength of my tea, as well as give me something to do.

One of the pictures I provide shows the tea timer and it's basic usage.

3 minutes light
    4 minutes medium
    5 minutes strong

Looking around there were many items to view that was for sale from jewelry to tea cups and sets, lace cloth, and antique furniture.

Monday through Saturday, 9:30 AM to 6:30 PM

Favorite Dish: I ordered the tropical tea with sugar. I also had a chocolate scone and a fruit scone.

The tropical blend was delicious and I would definitely order it again.
    The scones...were not the best.

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Pinkadilly Tea at Smythe's Cottage: Full Service Tea Shop in downtown Fredericksburg

by aphrodyte Updated Feb 14, 2014

I arrived mid-morning on a quiet Tuesday. There were only two tables occupied at the time. I was mildly curious as to why I didn't muster any type of acknowledgment as I walked through the hot pink doors and stepped up to the counter.

The employees/manager stood just behind the counter bemoaning the possible cancellation of a large group that was to arrive later that day for high tea. After a few minutes of uncomfortable waiting, I was finally seated and given a menu. As I stared at the light pink menu I hoped that the pastries were better than the service. The service did improve when they realized I was taking pictures and writing stuff down during my visit. Ah well...so much for anonymity.

Despite the hap hazard service, the server's recommendation about the Lady Londonderry Tea was spot on...a bit of floral, strawberry, and lemon flavors. Nice and hot! Bonus points for the Scones...they were fantastic! Definitely the highlight of my visit.

All in all...the service that I was given probably would have been better if the employees weren't distracted and the scones were definitely a plus. I would definitely go back for them.

Favorite Dish: The server recommended Lady Londonderry pot of tea for $3.95
    One pot of tea equaled about 3 cups possibly 4 cups of tea.
    The tea was very hot...I loved it.

I also chose fresh baked scones (2) with Devonshire cream and lemon curd for $3.95
    They offer other curd flavors, but with the tea that I chose, I was very fortunate that they had lemon curd.

I was offered a "to go" cup for the remaining liquid I didn't finish which I definitely needed.

• Andreja86's Profile Photo

The Otter House: The Otter House

by Andreja86 Updated Jun 22, 2011

The place seemed really dirty and there was a spot close to where I sat what smelled REALLY bad.

The service was really good. Friendly minded and always avalible. The atmosphere was standard.

We had lunch but I wasn't really sure what to get. I asked for help and was advised to try the Blackened Burger which had bacon, cheese, soft onions and guacamole. That advise was really good. The burger was one of the best I've ever had.
    We also tried the garlic and spinach pizza but it was bad. Maybe it was the american way to make pizza that I didn't like.

Favorite Dish: Go with the burger!

• zanzooni's Profile Photo

Poppy Hill Tuscan Kitchen: OH!! Farm to table fresh with a menu that changes!

by zanzooni Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ben with the awesome ricotta pancakes

A very old place, but with charm. Not what I was expecting after reading all of their site on line, but I was glad that I came. The day we arrived, Ben-my old room mate, and Bubby, my grandson, were pretty hungry at that point. I was as well. The down side was that they only had one server on that day and she was weeded beyond, but she really did her best. Can't fault her for that. I was attracted to this place as they are a farm to table restaurant. Using only the local farmers and producers for their food, keeping organic as much as possible, making everything from scratch. The Chef, Scott Mahar, originally from NE, worked with the same infamous Italian Chef that I briefly worked with. I've yet to meet Scott to discuss our time with the big dude. Scott also is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu and has an impressive resume.

Favorite Dish: The big fat ricotta pancakes with maple syrup that tastes like it just came from the tree. The Farmers Breakfast with it's 3 organic marigold yellow yolked eggs, smoked apple wood bacon and grilled tomatoes. Yummo!

• iaint's Profile Photo

Bangkok Cafe: good, and good value

by iaint Written Nov 28, 2010

I had my Sunday lunch here. It is more cafe/fast food Thai style than restaurant. In fact it is very Thai in lots of subtle ways - nothing to do with the food.

I had the garlic pork (moh tod grateeum pik Thai) - $12 with rice & a Coke. Not as good as my ex-wife’s, but still delicious. Really quick and excellent value.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Not the place for a fancy dinner out, but fine for what it was.

Favorite Dish: Easy - the garlic pork!

Sammy T’s: excellent

by iaint Updated Nov 10, 2010

sunny October

The 3 party animals had a great dinner in here - well mine was just a reuben sandwich, but a meal rather than a snack!

It’s a cosy, friendly, comfortable restaurant, with a good menu and not too expensive. I was introduced to Fred Red - the locally produced ale.

Thoroughly enjoyed it all.

Centrally located on the main downtown street.

We went back a second time - dinner for 3 was $35 each, for 3 main courses, 1 starter, 1 dessert and several drinks.

Go try!

Favorite Dish: Reuben sandwich...

• Museum Visits

Otter House: cool...

by iaint Updated Nov 9, 2010

oh, and tables outside!

A cool laid back kind of place where 3 of us had brunch on Saturday. Loads of good coffee plus eggs Chesapeake - that’s eggs benedict but with a crab cake added. Totally delicious.

The service was friendly and efficient, but the kitchen seemed to be a bit slow. We were in no rush, so it didn’t matter. Maybe I was just hungry....

Give it a try!

$37 for the 3 of us.

Favorite Dish: Eggs Chesapeake!

• Museum Visits

• Mione's Pizza & Subs: Mione's Sucks!!! Don' Eat There!!!

by fredkevin Written Nov 7, 2010

Walked in to get some food to go. They could not seem to get the order right. There was a full Staff & still it took 30+ minutes to get the food. The owner of the place told us that the call in orders were more important. The owner was abrasive and rude. Get the food home and of course they messed up the order. Call to try and get the correct item but owner argued over the phone. By now I just wanted a refund. I can't trust a restaurant not messing with the food after all the attitude. Go back to get a refund I try to be civil but the owner complained to me that I cost him a remake of the order they screwed up in the first place. But after having to deal with such a rude person all I wanted was a refund. Not surprising he refused a refund. I have had some bad service, bad food, even bad customer service. But this guy took them all. I would give zero stars if I could. This place sucks!!!! Go to Primavera in Downtown Fred the food is great & owner is a world class good guy.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

TRULUV'S RESTAURANT: ON THE RAPPAHANNOCK RIVER

by LoriPori Updated Nov 6, 2010

TruLuv's

The following is a posting from Zana (Zanzooni) about the meetings. I wanted to keep what she said, as after the meetings, all information disappears.
    "I finally found an awesome restaurant for us to have our goodbye dinner at! You
    can't believe how difficult this last feat has been. Most of the restaurants
    aren't capable of handling a large crowd or they want a commitment by paying a
    room rental fee. But not this place."TruLuv's- A modern American Bistro".

It sits on the Rappahannock River, which is part of the Chesapeake Bay
    watershed, with the most spectacular views of the river and "Chatham House"
    (http://www.nps.gov/frsp/chatham.htm) which is haunted by the Lady in White who
    returns to look for the man she was in love with, but George Washington stopped
    that union.

I was greeted warmly the minute I entered by one of the long time servers,
    Betty. She assured me that they would do everything possible to accommodate us.
    She went above and beyond to help. I am going to request her as one of our
    servers. She also informed me that they make everything from scratch in house,
    including the sauces and bread.

There is an outside patio with tables, chairs and umbrella's and inside you will
    find a wall of windows overlooking the river. At the end there is a nice big
    fireplace. Off to the side is a nice private dining room, which is what we will
    be using.

The Chef/Owner said that he will work with me on the menu as well as putting
    this event together. So far I've liked the prefix menu that I was given, but
    want to tweak it a bit. Here's what I have so far:

Choice of:
    Crab Bisque or
    Garden Salad w/ mixed greens and fresh, homemade bread w/honey butter

Choice of:

Herb-crusted Prime Rib w/ au jus and horseradish cream, roasted garlic mashed
    potatoes and gravy, and asparagus.

Jumbo Lump Crab cakes w/ béarnaise, rice pilaf, and sautéed green beans.

Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu w/ Virginia ham and a pesto cream sauce, grilled
    asparagus, and roasted garlic mashed potatoes.

Dessert: Belgium Chocolate Cake w/ a raspberry coulis, chocolate ganache, and a
    butter cream frosting.

Non-alcoholic beverages included. Price per person: As of this minute, $31.00
    plus tax and gratuity. I'm thinking a choice of soup or salad - they do fantastic crab bisque, and adding an appetizer, as we will be eating here after our trip to Luray Caverns."

_________________________________________________________

Favorite Dish: I chose the Crab Bisque which was absolutely delicious.
    For my main entree' I chose the Prime Rib, garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus. My Prime Rib was cooked to perfection and it just melted in my mouth.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

CAPTAIN D'S FREDERICKSBURG: QUICK SERVICE

by LoriPori Written Nov 5, 2010

Captain D's

Friday October 22, 2010
    For Friday night's dinner we decided on CAPTAIN D'S FREDERICKSBURG. We were not disappointed. We both ordered the 3 piece fish dinner. Three very generous portions of lightly battered fish which came with cole slaw, french fries and hush puppies. I have to say they were the best hush puppies I have ever tasted- moist and with real corn kernels in them.

Trolley Stop Cafe: ideal

by iaint Written Oct 21, 2010

wonderful

We had a quick sandwich al fresco here. Lovely.

We sat outside in the October sunshine, and watched the world go by as we ate.

They have a good menu, the service is quick and the folks are friendly.

Favorite Dish: My sandwich...or was it the home made iced tea?

• zanzooni's Profile Photo

Capital Ale House: Skip the food here.

by zanzooni Updated Jul 30, 2010

The Bottom Line: I got food poison here. Yep, sure did. I had the Polska platter which consisted of kielbasa grilled, served with onion pierogies in a sage bechamel sauce. Sounded delicious from the menu, but when it arrived I asked myself, What the hell did I order?? It was smothered in so much cheese, that I, a cheese lover was mortified. I scraped off as much as I could. And way to much sauce. Not at all what I was expecting. I didn't like it, and told the server as much but nothing was done about it. I ended up being sick for the most part of the week.

We went here to check it out for the VA VT meet in October and I can not recommend it. The service was abysmal, silverware dirty, and management sorely lacking in hospitality.

Having said all that, they are probably more known as an Ale House with an extensive beer menu. No, make that a book of various ales, beers, fruit beers, etc. that they sell. I am not a beer drinker so I can't comment on their brews.

Favorite Dish: NO favorite.

• Beer Tasting

• Here & Abroad Bistro and Bakery: Best Cafe in Downtown Fredericksburg!

by FburgGirl Written Aug 12, 2009

My favorite lunch spot in Fredericksburg is Here & Abroad. I have an affinity for small, local places as opposed to chain restaurants, and Here & Abroad absolutely meets everything I value in a café. It’s in a slightly hidden location, nestled behind Hyperion Coffee, identifiable by the daily specials sign out in front. Out front there are a few small tables and a fountain surrounded by landscaping and inside are just as many small tables along the wall. Inside feels like a little Tuscan café with the sun beaming down through the roof.

The sandwiches are to die for. I have yet to experience a poorly made or less than completely delicious sandwich. My favorite item on the menu is the Oven Roasted Turkey with cucumber and red onion on a freshly baked croissant with chips. The raspberry mayo is fantastic! However, I don’t go as often as I’d like because $7 for a sandwich and chips is on the “I’d love to spend this all the time but on a college graduate/server salary I can only afford once every week or two” list. Here & Abroad is closed on Mondays, a fact engrained in my memory finally after three attempts on Mondays to get a sandwich and finding myself disappointed when I don’t see the sign on the street.

Even if you are a poor student and can hardly spend money on anything other than Ramen noodles and EasyMac, I recommend saving up that ten bucks and splurging on a sandwich, iced tea and if you’re feeling risky, a delectable dessert at least once. I promise you won’t regret it.

Allman's-Since 1954: Pit Cooked Bar-B-Q

by zanzooni Updated Jun 3, 2009

Mr. Allman and his wife-Way back in the day.

Allman's has been around since 1954. I have driven by this place hundreds of times, and finally decided to stop as I really wanted some good old southern BBQ. They have a walk up window which I needed as I had my grandson sleeping in the car. I peered inside, and it was a walk down memory lane, as they have original chrome spinning bar stools, ceiling fans, and neon signs. I bought the BBQ platter of pulled pork with 2 sides. They give you a choice of either shredded or minced pork, and I opted for shredded. I have to tell you: I LOVE BBQ. It's my favorite, along with grilled food. I am on a constant search for the best of the best. I was a tad disappointed here. The pork was on the dry side, not moist and succulent. The BBQ sauce is served on the side, as it should be. It was an interesting sauce. Not a red sauce, but the guy who took my order said it was a combination of the white vinegar sauce you see from N.Carolina, with a mix of red sauce ingredients. I think what surprised me was how gloppy it was. And cold. It tasted of a sweet spice, such as corriander, which I do like, and raisins. It did have a vinegar tang. I have a mixed viewpoint of this sauce, and the pork. Next time, I will try the minced pork and I want to go back and try the ribs. My sides were coleslaw, as you have to have that with your BBQ, and I first ordered the French Fries, but they were to greasy and over done for me. I traded them in for the baked beans. The slaw was pretty decent, sweet as I prefer mine, and the beans were OK. They were lacking of any real flavor aka spices, depending solely on the onion to give it some ummph. I ordered a half pound of meat, which is enough for about 3 meals, but they only give you one bun for a sandwich, and it was stale at that. Not appreciated on my end. Also, they need to update their website as it's lacking in info. Their menu gives an outdated contact email address for Juno, which has been disbanded since about 2000, for catering. The prices are relatively inexpensive, as the sandwich platter was only $8.99. The menu states that all platters come with a pickle wedge, but I didn't get one, which really I can't imagine pickles with 'Q, so it wasn't an issue for me.

Favorite Dish: It was the coleslaw at this point. It was crunchy, and sweet, but not overly so.

Instant Answers: Fredericksburg

Comments

Fredericksburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fredericksburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fredericksburg sightseeing.

View all Fredericksburg hotels