Fredericksburg Restaurants

A fresh pot of Lady Londonderry Tea
    by aphrodyte

Most Recent Restaurants in Fredericksburg

• zanzooni's Profile Photo

Capital Ale House: Skip the food here.

by zanzooni Updated Jul 30, 2010

The Bottom Line: I got food poison here. Yep, sure did. I had the Polska platter which consisted of kielbasa grilled, served with onion pierogies in a sage bechamel sauce. Sounded delicious from the menu, but when it arrived I asked myself, What the hell did I order?? It was smothered in so much cheese, that I, a cheese lover was mortified. I scraped off as much as I could. And way to much sauce. Not at all what I was expecting. I didn't like it, and told the server as much but nothing was done about it. I ended up being sick for the most part of the week.

We went here to check it out for the VA VT meet in October and I can not recommend it. The service was abysmal, silverware dirty, and management sorely lacking in hospitality.

Having said all that, they are probably more known as an Ale House with an extensive beer menu. No, make that a book of various ales, beers, fruit beers, etc. that they sell. I am not a beer drinker so I can't comment on their brews.

Favorite Dish: NO favorite.

• Beer Tasting

• Here & Abroad Bistro and Bakery: Best Cafe in Downtown Fredericksburg!

by FburgGirl Written Aug 12, 2009

My favorite lunch spot in Fredericksburg is Here & Abroad. I have an affinity for small, local places as opposed to chain restaurants, and Here & Abroad absolutely meets everything I value in a café. It’s in a slightly hidden location, nestled behind Hyperion Coffee, identifiable by the daily specials sign out in front. Out front there are a few small tables and a fountain surrounded by landscaping and inside are just as many small tables along the wall. Inside feels like a little Tuscan café with the sun beaming down through the roof.

The sandwiches are to die for. I have yet to experience a poorly made or less than completely delicious sandwich. My favorite item on the menu is the Oven Roasted Turkey with cucumber and red onion on a freshly baked croissant with chips. The raspberry mayo is fantastic! However, I don’t go as often as I’d like because $7 for a sandwich and chips is on the “I’d love to spend this all the time but on a college graduate/server salary I can only afford once every week or two” list. Here & Abroad is closed on Mondays, a fact engrained in my memory finally after three attempts on Mondays to get a sandwich and finding myself disappointed when I don’t see the sign on the street.

Even if you are a poor student and can hardly spend money on anything other than Ramen noodles and EasyMac, I recommend saving up that ten bucks and splurging on a sandwich, iced tea and if you’re feeling risky, a delectable dessert at least once. I promise you won’t regret it.

• zanzooni's Profile Photo

Allman's-Since 1954: Pit Cooked Bar-B-Q

by zanzooni Updated Jun 3, 2009

Allman's has been around since 1954. I have driven by this place hundreds of times, and finally decided to stop as I really wanted some good old southern BBQ. They have a walk up window which I needed as I had my grandson sleeping in the car. I peered inside, and it was a walk down memory lane, as they have original chrome spinning bar stools, ceiling fans, and neon signs. I bought the BBQ platter of pulled pork with 2 sides. They give you a choice of either shredded or minced pork, and I opted for shredded. I have to tell you: I LOVE BBQ. It's my favorite, along with grilled food. I am on a constant search for the best of the best. I was a tad disappointed here. The pork was on the dry side, not moist and succulent. The BBQ sauce is served on the side, as it should be. It was an interesting sauce. Not a red sauce, but the guy who took my order said it was a combination of the white vinegar sauce you see from N.Carolina, with a mix of red sauce ingredients. I think what surprised me was how gloppy it was. And cold. It tasted of a sweet spice, such as corriander, which I do like, and raisins. It did have a vinegar tang. I have a mixed viewpoint of this sauce, and the pork. Next time, I will try the minced pork and I want to go back and try the ribs. My sides were coleslaw, as you have to have that with your BBQ, and I first ordered the French Fries, but they were to greasy and over done for me. I traded them in for the baked beans. The slaw was pretty decent, sweet as I prefer mine, and the beans were OK. They were lacking of any real flavor aka spices, depending solely on the onion to give it some ummph. I ordered a half pound of meat, which is enough for about 3 meals, but they only give you one bun for a sandwich, and it was stale at that. Not appreciated on my end. Also, they need to update their website as it's lacking in info. Their menu gives an outdated contact email address for Juno, which has been disbanded since about 2000, for catering. The prices are relatively inexpensive, as the sandwich platter was only $8.99. The menu states that all platters come with a pickle wedge, but I didn't get one, which really I can't imagine pickles with 'Q, so it wasn't an issue for me.

Favorite Dish: It was the coleslaw at this point. It was crunchy, and sweet, but not overly so.

Mr. Allman and his wife-Way back in the day. Old Time Southern BBQ joint

• Hunan House: most flavorful aisian restaurant

by veghead Written Nov 26, 2008

The atmosphere was refreshing and soothing with music quietly playing.
    Our food was delicious, fresh, and fabuluous tasting. We ordered PAD THAI and it was the best we have tasted. Very flavourful. Also would recomend the Singapore Mei fun. You can change the degree of spicyness if lkie us you prefer less spicy dishes.

The staff greeted us warmly Wait staff are friendly, courteous, quick and keeps your drinks filled They are very attenticve and always ready to make your experience the most enjoyable one possible. Excellent service

Our dining experience was excellent at this restaurant; my only regret was that we were just visiting the area and live too far away too dine here often.

Favorite Dish: This restaurant serves the most delicious Thai food you've ever tasted. My favorite is the chicken pad thai. The noodles are tender, sauce sweet and nutty, the chicken seasoned to perfection.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Denny's: Comfort Food

by grandmaR Written Feb 12, 2008

On our way home we ate lunch at Denny's on Virginia Route 3 just before we got to Fredericksburg. I remembered incorrectly that there would be no place to eat when we would go south on I-95 and get off to transition to cross US 1 to turn onto US 17.

The bill had the following information on the bottom of it:

"If we forgot to charge you for any item you received, we are sorry. Please notify the manager and that item will be free. Also, for your help, we will give you a $10.00 gift card to use on your next visit to Denny's. Thank you"

Favorite Dish: I had the Senior Grilled Cheese Deluxe Sandwich with tomato on sourdough bread for $4.69. I had applesauce with it instead of fries. Bob had the chicken soup $3.29, and also a chocolate milkshake $3.59.

Senior Grilled Cheese Deluxe Sandwich $4.69 Chicken soup $3.29 Tables in restaurant Desserts Soup menu
    • Seniors

• Pancho Villas: Good Mexican

by Buckmarko Written Aug 14, 2007

I usually don't do chain restaurants. We were hungry and this was close. It's a local, not national, chain so it still ok for me.

The chips and salsa flow freely. Everything we ordered was tasty and quick. I recommend it.

Favorite Dish: The seafood fajitas were very tasty.

• Carl's Frozen Custard: Famous Ice Cream

by Buckmarko Written Aug 13, 2007

They are very fast here. That's the thing. They've been feautured on Food Network and in travel guides. The ice cream is good, but it's not going to wow you; it's similar to Dairy Queen. What you get is an order that comes up before you're even done ordering. Go for a sundae.

Favorite Dish: A walnut sundae hits the spot on a hot day.

• Virginia BBQ: OK BBQ

by Buckmarko Written Aug 11, 2007

It's a good place to eat. The sides were pretty good. It was good, cheap, and family friendly. I recommend it, but it's not the high art of bbq. We ate at the one on Jefferson Davis Parkway. The one on Plank Road looks small from the road.

Favorite Dish: The Virginia Pork sandwich was nice.

• Sammy T's: GOOD, NOT GREAT

by Buckmarko Written Aug 11, 2007

It's small and intimate. The bar dominates the scenery. We had a party of six and they're really not set up for that. We want on a Sunday night and they were out of a lot of stuff. The food was good and they have a limited selection. A limited selection is fine since you hope they do everything real well. They provide good food, but I really had a hankering for something of the central Virginia area (fried oyster or ham); I was disappointed and had trouble getting past that. They had oysters on their internet menu but not at the restaurant.

Give it a try, but don't take the kids.

Favorite Dish: The Brunswick stew was really quite tasty.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Dragon Inn Chinese Restaurant: Oldest Chinese Restaurant in Fredericksburg

by chewy3326 Written May 29, 2007

Dragon Inn Chinese Restaurant is supposedly the oldest Chinese restaurant in the city of Fredericksburg. The restaurant is quite a bit larger than Fortune Gourment; ironically, despite the more spacious environment, most customers do take out. The selection on their menu is very limited and entirely in English; I would advise NOT to order off the menu since most of those items are not even close to "authentic" Chinese food.

Favorite Dish: Their Hongshao Tofu is excellent; this vegetarian dish has chunks of fried tofu as well as various vegetables and fungi. This is not on the menu, though if you ask for it, they should have it.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Fortune Gourmet: Best Chinese Food in Fredericksburg

by chewy3326 Written Apr 13, 2007

Fortune Gourmet is one of the many Chinese restaurants scattered around Fredericksburg; this is one of the better restaurants. This small restaurant has a nice atmosphere and is run by a local Chinese family; the food is not any more 'authentic' than you would expect from a typical Chinese restaurant in the US, but it isn't too bad, either. There is a reasonably priced $6.99 Luncheon Buffet with a somewhat limited selection. Service is relatively good, too.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant's Mapo Tofu is reasonably good; it's a bit heavy on the sauce but has just the right touch of hotness to make it enjoyable.

• Julutz's Profile Photo

Chords: 3 Martini Lunch

by Julutz Written Jun 18, 2006

Fresh fish, seafood, steak, chicken and vegetarian dishes are some of the items on our menu. The ambience was a fine dining jazz and blues club with deep rich colors and lots of great tunes coming from the baby grand piano in the window. Went there for the "3 martini lunch". This is where we can get 3 martinis and 1 appetizer for $24. Way to much fun. Decided to come back for dinner. I tried the Tilapia Stuffed with Crab for $26 and loved it.

Favorite Dish: Tilapia Stuffed with Crab....soft white fish with chunks of crab inside...need I say more. The risotto that came with it was a perfect match.

cocktail lounge to sit and watch live jazz bands piano in window
    • Gay and Lesbian
    • Wine Tasting

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Bistro Bethem: Modern American cuisine with a Southern accent

by b1bob Updated Jun 15, 2006

Bistro Bethem is a small, cozy bistro in old town Fredericksburg. The restaurant has a certain bistro atmosphere, but it is not overpowering. In general, if you want to get all the atmosphere of a more expensive restaurant, go at lunch. I did that, got all the atmosphere of the bistro, and paid half of what I would have at supper. The service was better than usual in that not only did the food arrive hot and like lightning, but she helped Lee and me plan our tour around the city. Of course, the food was first rate.

Favorite Dish: I had a wood oven pizza with duck comfit, carmelised onions, barbecue sauce, and parmesan cheese. They really thought outside the box when they conceived of this pizza. Lee had pork barbecue- wood oven slow-roasted pulled pork barbecue on a Kaiser roll and coleslaw served with fresh potato crisps made right there. The duck pizza was great and Lee enjoyed his barbecue. Although we were near the northern border of Southern culture, Lee was able to get sweet tea without any dirty looks, giggles, or snide comments from the waitress, so were were still in the South, albeit barely.

Bistro Bethem

• Guarnjana's: Fresh Thai Food

by WakanLady Written May 23, 2006

This restaurant is a great stop on the way into old town Fredericksburg. Owned by a family from the southern part of Thailand you'll enjoy fresh ingredients and a menu that's sure to please everyone. Our grandkids love the Satay (chicken on a stick) but if you like spicy food the Tom Yum soup is as good as it gets! It is very casual and you do not need reservations.

Favorite Dish: Tom Yum soup, spring rolls, Pad Ga Proud (chicken and basil) spiced to my liking! My husband loves their drunken noodles Thai HOT. The grandkids like the Pad Talay and Satay...no spice.

• shohman's Profile Photo

Hyperion Espresso: Coffee

by shohman Updated Feb 3, 2005

People reading my pages may notice my love for coffee. I have to say one of my favorite places for this has been Hyperion Espresso. Great coffee, in a converted store over 100 years old. The walls are painted bright colors and the big open windows look out onto the streets of downtown Fredericksburg.

Favorite Dish: coffee

Instant Answers: Fredericksburg

Comments

Fredericksburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fredericksburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fredericksburg sightseeing.

View all Fredericksburg hotels