Fredericksburg Restaurants

by aphrodyte

Best Rated Restaurants in Fredericksburg

Allman's-Since 1954: Pit Cooked Bar-B-Q

by zanzooni Updated Jun 3, 2009

Allman's has been around since 1954. I have driven by this place hundreds of times, and finally decided to stop as I really wanted some good old southern BBQ. They have a walk up window which I needed as I had my grandson sleeping in the car. I peered inside, and it was a walk down memory lane, as they have original chrome spinning bar stools, ceiling fans, and neon signs. I bought the BBQ platter of pulled pork with 2 sides. They give you a choice of either shredded or minced pork, and I opted for shredded. I have to tell you: I LOVE BBQ. It's my favorite, along with grilled food. I am on a constant search for the best of the best. I was a tad disappointed here. The pork was on the dry side, not moist and succulent. The BBQ sauce is served on the side, as it should be. It was an interesting sauce. Not a red sauce, but the guy who took my order said it was a combination of the white vinegar sauce you see from N.Carolina, with a mix of red sauce ingredients. I think what surprised me was how gloppy it was. And cold. It tasted of a sweet spice, such as corriander, which I do like, and raisins. It did have a vinegar tang. I have a mixed viewpoint of this sauce, and the pork. Next time, I will try the minced pork and I want to go back and try the ribs. My sides were coleslaw, as you have to have that with your BBQ, and I first ordered the French Fries, but they were to greasy and over done for me. I traded them in for the baked beans. The slaw was pretty decent, sweet as I prefer mine, and the beans were OK. They were lacking of any real flavor aka spices, depending solely on the onion to give it some ummph. I ordered a half pound of meat, which is enough for about 3 meals, but they only give you one bun for a sandwich, and it was stale at that. Not appreciated on my end. Also, they need to update their website as it's lacking in info. Their menu gives an outdated contact email address for Juno, which has been disbanded since about 2000, for catering. The prices are relatively inexpensive, as the sandwich platter was only $8.99. The menu states that all platters come with a pickle wedge, but I didn't get one, which really I can't imagine pickles with 'Q, so it wasn't an issue for me.

Favorite Dish: It was the coleslaw at this point. It was crunchy, and sweet, but not overly so.

Mr. Allman and his wife-Way back in the day. Old Time Southern BBQ joint

Sammy T's Light Food and Ale: Like an old, comfortable shoe

by zanzooni Updated Nov 29, 2004

I loved the feel of this place, the old mingled with the somewhat new. Very eclectic with Diego Rivera art work on the wall, painted old copper ceilings, the fans, an old phone booth, and a wonderful, patient General Manager, Sam Emory III, that earned 5 gold stars in his crown after dealing with Hailley the entire time I was there. H, being her affectionate, rambunctious self, immediatly made him her best friend, and he allowed her carte blanche around the establishment. She followed him like a puppy, and he let her wash up next to the bar, got her tooth picks( she loves the look, what can I say) and when she took his hand, and led him around to ask what it this and that, he obliged and answered her questions. What a gem! The restaurant is comfortable, with regulars entering, and he knew them all. There is out door seating as well albeit only a couple of tables, and they were taken when we were there. It was a beautiful day to be outside, warm, and the sky was clear and blue. Had H not been with me, I would have been wanting a table, but better that we weren't, as she would have been wanderin' off into the nether regions.

The food here is eclectic, taking in all palates from Vegan to Carnivore. I could not make my mind up, as I was hungry, but not hungry. I chose the BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich, as my rationale was, It's the South, and what is the south with out the BBQ? Sad, that's what. The tradition in the deep south is to eat it with coleslaw on the sandwich.

Favorite Dish: Well, Hailley had her usual FF's, made and cut from real potato's. She wasn't hungry that day as well, and turned up her nose. She was more concerned about "her" horse, that just left down the way, and it created her tears to flow like champagne that was just uncorked. I had the BBQ pork sandwich with 'slaw. Very Suth'en...

I took Denise here today, and we were treated like old friends. I introduced her to Sammy, and he not only greated her effusively, but he rememebered me and Hailley. Today, I had the Gourmet Hamburger - Five ounces of lean fresh ground beef seasoned with their spices, then grilled and served on a Kaiser roll with mayo, mustard, lettuce and tomato. I skipped the mustard, and added feta cheese..yummy..Denice and I split onion rings...WOW..they were the best that I have had since my Granny used to make them. I could taste the beer-batter and Denice and I thought they were incredible. The waitress, who was very effervescent, came to the table with the onion rings, and served them with their home made real butter milk ranch dressing, spiced lightly with dill. I don't like ranch..but their Ranch..bring it on! Denice had the vegatarian chili, which I tasted, and it was faboo...this establishment makes you want to come back for more...~

Sammy T's

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

TRULUV'S RESTAURANT: ON THE RAPPAHANNOCK RIVER

by LoriPori Updated Nov 6, 2010

The following is a posting from Zana (Zanzooni) about the meetings. I wanted to keep what she said, as after the meetings, all information disappears.
    "I finally found an awesome restaurant for us to have our goodbye dinner at! You
    can't believe how difficult this last feat has been. Most of the restaurants
    aren't capable of handling a large crowd or they want a commitment by paying a
    room rental fee. But not this place."TruLuv's- A modern American Bistro".

It sits on the Rappahannock River, which is part of the Chesapeake Bay
    watershed, with the most spectacular views of the river and "Chatham House"
    (http://www.nps.gov/frsp/chatham.htm) which is haunted by the Lady in White who
    returns to look for the man she was in love with, but George Washington stopped
    that union.

I was greeted warmly the minute I entered by one of the long time servers,
    Betty. She assured me that they would do everything possible to accommodate us.
    She went above and beyond to help. I am going to request her as one of our
    servers. She also informed me that they make everything from scratch in house,
    including the sauces and bread.

There is an outside patio with tables, chairs and umbrella's and inside you will
    find a wall of windows overlooking the river. At the end there is a nice big
    fireplace. Off to the side is a nice private dining room, which is what we will
    be using.

The Chef/Owner said that he will work with me on the menu as well as putting
    this event together. So far I've liked the prefix menu that I was given, but
    want to tweak it a bit. Here's what I have so far:

Choice of:
    Crab Bisque or
    Garden Salad w/ mixed greens and fresh, homemade bread w/honey butter

Choice of:

Herb-crusted Prime Rib w/ au jus and horseradish cream, roasted garlic mashed
    potatoes and gravy, and asparagus.

Jumbo Lump Crab cakes w/ béarnaise, rice pilaf, and sautéed green beans.

Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu w/ Virginia ham and a pesto cream sauce, grilled
    asparagus, and roasted garlic mashed potatoes.

Dessert: Belgium Chocolate Cake w/ a raspberry coulis, chocolate ganache, and a
    butter cream frosting.

Non-alcoholic beverages included. Price per person: As of this minute, $31.00
    plus tax and gratuity. I'm thinking a choice of soup or salad - they do fantastic crab bisque, and adding an appetizer, as we will be eating here after our trip to Luray Caverns."

_________________________________________________________

Favorite Dish: I chose the Crab Bisque which was absolutely delicious.
    For my main entree' I chose the Prime Rib, garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus. My Prime Rib was cooked to perfection and it just melted in my mouth.

TruLuv's My Prime Rib & Asparagus

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Bistro Bethem: Modern American cuisine with a Southern accent

by b1bob Updated Jun 15, 2006

Bistro Bethem is a small, cozy bistro in old town Fredericksburg. The restaurant has a certain bistro atmosphere, but it is not overpowering. In general, if you want to get all the atmosphere of a more expensive restaurant, go at lunch. I did that, got all the atmosphere of the bistro, and paid half of what I would have at supper. The service was better than usual in that not only did the food arrive hot and like lightning, but she helped Lee and me plan our tour around the city. Of course, the food was first rate.

Favorite Dish: I had a wood oven pizza with duck comfit, carmelised onions, barbecue sauce, and parmesan cheese. They really thought outside the box when they conceived of this pizza. Lee had pork barbecue- wood oven slow-roasted pulled pork barbecue on a Kaiser roll and coleslaw served with fresh potato crisps made right there. The duck pizza was great and Lee enjoyed his barbecue. Although we were near the northern border of Southern culture, Lee was able to get sweet tea without any dirty looks, giggles, or snide comments from the waitress, so were were still in the South, albeit barely.

Bistro Bethem

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

CAPTAIN D'S FREDERICKSBURG: QUICK SERVICE

by LoriPori Written Nov 5, 2010

Friday October 22, 2010
    For Friday night's dinner we decided on CAPTAIN D'S FREDERICKSBURG. We were not disappointed. We both ordered the 3 piece fish dinner. Three very generous portions of lightly battered fish which came with cole slaw, french fries and hush puppies. I have to say they were the best hush puppies I have ever tasted- moist and with real corn kernels in them.

Captain D's My Fish & Chip Dinner

• zanzooni's Profile Photo

Poppy Hill Tuscan Kitchen: OH!! Farm to table fresh with a menu that changes!

by zanzooni Updated Apr 4, 2011

A very old place, but with charm. Not what I was expecting after reading all of their site on line, but I was glad that I came. The day we arrived, Ben-my old room mate, and Bubby, my grandson, were pretty hungry at that point. I was as well. The down side was that they only had one server on that day and she was weeded beyond, but she really did her best. Can't fault her for that. I was attracted to this place as they are a farm to table restaurant. Using only the local farmers and producers for their food, keeping organic as much as possible, making everything from scratch. The Chef, Scott Mahar, originally from NE, worked with the same infamous Italian Chef that I briefly worked with. I've yet to meet Scott to discuss our time with the big dude. Scott also is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu and has an impressive resume.

Favorite Dish: The big fat ricotta pancakes with maple syrup that tastes like it just came from the tree. The Farmers Breakfast with it's 3 organic marigold yellow yolked eggs, smoked apple wood bacon and grilled tomatoes. Yummo!

Ben with the awesome ricotta pancakes Bubby feeding himself

• zanzooni's Profile Photo

Capital Ale House: Skip the food here.

by zanzooni Updated Jul 30, 2010

The Bottom Line: I got food poison here. Yep, sure did. I had the Polska platter which consisted of kielbasa grilled, served with onion pierogies in a sage bechamel sauce. Sounded delicious from the menu, but when it arrived I asked myself, What the hell did I order?? It was smothered in so much cheese, that I, a cheese lover was mortified. I scraped off as much as I could. And way to much sauce. Not at all what I was expecting. I didn't like it, and told the server as much but nothing was done about it. I ended up being sick for the most part of the week.

We went here to check it out for the VA VT meet in October and I can not recommend it. The service was abysmal, silverware dirty, and management sorely lacking in hospitality.

Having said all that, they are probably more known as an Ale House with an extensive beer menu. No, make that a book of various ales, beers, fruit beers, etc. that they sell. I am not a beer drinker so I can't comment on their brews.

Favorite Dish: NO favorite.

• Beer Tasting

Otter House: cool...

by iaint Updated Nov 9, 2010

A cool laid back kind of place where 3 of us had brunch on Saturday. Loads of good coffee plus eggs Chesapeake - that’s eggs benedict but with a crab cake added. Totally delicious.

The service was friendly and efficient, but the kitchen seemed to be a bit slow. We were in no rush, so it didn’t matter. Maybe I was just hungry....

Give it a try!

$37 for the 3 of us.

Favorite Dish: Eggs Chesapeake!

oh, and tables outside!
    • Museum Visits

Sammy T’s: excellent

by iaint Updated Nov 10, 2010

The 3 party animals had a great dinner in here - well mine was just a reuben sandwich, but a meal rather than a snack!

It’s a cosy, friendly, comfortable restaurant, with a good menu and not too expensive. I was introduced to Fred Red - the locally produced ale.

Thoroughly enjoyed it all.

Centrally located on the main downtown street.

We went back a second time - dinner for 3 was $35 each, for 3 main courses, 1 starter, 1 dessert and several drinks.

Go try!

Favorite Dish: Reuben sandwich...

sunny October
    • Museum Visits

Trolley Stop Cafe: ideal

by iaint Written Oct 21, 2010

We had a quick sandwich al fresco here. Lovely.

We sat outside in the October sunshine, and watched the world go by as we ate.

They have a good menu, the service is quick and the folks are friendly.

Favorite Dish: My sandwich...or was it the home made iced tea?

wonderful

• iaint's Profile Photo

Bangkok Cafe: good, and good value

by iaint Written Nov 28, 2010

I had my Sunday lunch here. It is more cafe/fast food Thai style than restaurant. In fact it is very Thai in lots of subtle ways - nothing to do with the food.

I had the garlic pork (moh tod grateeum pik Thai) - $12 with rice & a Coke. Not as good as my ex-wife’s, but still delicious. Really quick and excellent value.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Not the place for a fancy dinner out, but fine for what it was.

Favorite Dish: Easy - the garlic pork!

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Tea Tyme and What Nots: Enchanting Moment at Tea Tyme

by aphrodyte Updated Feb 20, 2014

The shop's décor had a feel of a lovely old-home parlor. Nothing matches with anything else but I think that adds to ambiance.

I met the owner of the tea shop and was pleasantly delighted to find her welcoming and knowledgeable about the teas that she sold in her shop, as well as, capable of blending a few teas of her own. They have a very large variety of teas to select from and she did recommend me to stay and try a couple of other blends of teas before I went. She was a bit persistent about having me try an additional blend or two and I almost declined, but it has always been my rule that if someone recommends something, you should listen! I wasn't disappointed.

The employees are kind, cordial and pleasant in general and I was served my tea at an appropriate time. They served the tea with the bags in the kettle (3-4 cups) and offered the use of the tea timer.

I enjoyed the use of the tea timer, it gave me a sense of empowerment on the strength of my tea, as well as give me something to do.

One of the pictures I provide shows the tea timer and it's basic usage.

3 minutes light
    4 minutes medium
    5 minutes strong

Looking around there were many items to view that was for sale from jewelry to tea cups and sets, lace cloth, and antique furniture.

Monday through Saturday, 9:30 AM to 6:30 PM

Favorite Dish: I ordered the tropical tea with sugar. I also had a chocolate scone and a fruit scone.

The tropical blend was delicious and I would definitely order it again.
    The scones...were not the best.

Entrance of Tea Tyme & What Nots seating area chocolate and fruit scones tea timer view of the kitchen

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Fortune Gourmet: Best Chinese Food in Fredericksburg

by chewy3326 Written Apr 13, 2007

Fortune Gourmet is one of the many Chinese restaurants scattered around Fredericksburg; this is one of the better restaurants. This small restaurant has a nice atmosphere and is run by a local Chinese family; the food is not any more 'authentic' than you would expect from a typical Chinese restaurant in the US, but it isn't too bad, either. There is a reasonably priced $6.99 Luncheon Buffet with a somewhat limited selection. Service is relatively good, too.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant's Mapo Tofu is reasonably good; it's a bit heavy on the sauce but has just the right touch of hotness to make it enjoyable.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo

Dragon Inn Chinese Restaurant: Oldest Chinese Restaurant in Fredericksburg

by chewy3326 Written May 29, 2007

Dragon Inn Chinese Restaurant is supposedly the oldest Chinese restaurant in the city of Fredericksburg. The restaurant is quite a bit larger than Fortune Gourment; ironically, despite the more spacious environment, most customers do take out. The selection on their menu is very limited and entirely in English; I would advise NOT to order off the menu since most of those items are not even close to "authentic" Chinese food.

Favorite Dish: Their Hongshao Tofu is excellent; this vegetarian dish has chunks of fried tofu as well as various vegetables and fungi. This is not on the menu, though if you ask for it, they should have it.

• shohman's Profile Photo

Hyperion Espresso: Coffee

by shohman Updated Feb 3, 2005

People reading my pages may notice my love for coffee. I have to say one of my favorite places for this has been Hyperion Espresso. Great coffee, in a converted store over 100 years old. The walls are painted bright colors and the big open windows look out onto the streets of downtown Fredericksburg.

Favorite Dish: coffee

Instant Answers: Fredericksburg

Comments

Fredericksburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fredericksburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fredericksburg sightseeing.

View all Fredericksburg hotels