Fredericksburg Shopping

• civil war life & homefront museum and store
    civil war life & homefront museum and...
    by doug48
    grey ghost gallery
    by doug48
    cute, huh?
    by iaint

Most Recent Shopping in Fredericksburg

• doug48's Profile Photo

civil war life & homefront museum and store: civil war relics

by doug48 Written Jun 6, 2011
    civil war life & homefront museum and store

the civil war life & homefront museum and store has a collection of civil war and military relics for sale. even for those not interested in purchasing these relics the store is worth a look to see their collections of military memoribilia.

• Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• iaint's Profile Photo

The Virginia Wine Experience: Great place

by iaint Updated Apr 4, 2011

cute, huh?

A specialty wine shop, right on the main street. They sell good beer too.

I got excellent service from the assistant, keeping me right about local Virginian wine as well as some others.

I ended up spending more than I intended, so she did a good job.

Would recommend to one and all.

What to buy: Wine & beer - especially local wine.

What to pay: I was $80 for 4 bottles, plus 6 beers.

• Wine Tasting

• iaint's Profile Photo

Riverby Books: books

by iaint Written Nov 2, 2010

The town is stuffed with antique shops. Not my thing, although I did dip my toe in the water with Vter Suet at one stage. Not sure how that came about. Very out of character.

I did spot a delightful French maid's outfit, and wondered about my cleaning lady's Christmas present.

However, books are another thing. I wandered into this place and could have spent half the day there, to say nothing of many holiday $s. Large, clean, spacious, well stocked...

Restricted myself to spending $10 on a hard cover of Marukami's "After Dark".

What to buy: Well, 2nd hand books obviously!

What to pay: $10 seemed to be about average in there for a hard cover.

Picket Post: Military Gear for the War Between the States

Picket Post

What to buy: Picket Post sells all manner of memorabilia from the War for Southern Independence. They offer things like military clothing, bullets, swords, guns, books, artwork, antiques, and even Confederate and (old) Northern currency. Among the things I was most interested in, but didn't get this time, was a small book on John Wilkes Booth's escape route.

What to pay: Some things are more expensive than others. The older or the larger an item is, the more expensive it may be.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Goolrick's: old school drug store

Goolrick's

I am always pleasantly surprised to run across an old style drug store complete with a lunch counter. Goolrick's is one of those drug stores that stubbornly refuses to be consumed by the corporate pinheads who like nothing better than to make a good thing lacklustre.

What to buy: I bought a few postcards and Lee quenched his thirst with a Tru Ade (a sort of orange flavoured drink). As good as the place at which we ate lunch was, I wish we had taken lunch here. The atmosphere would have been better and the food comparably good though different in style.

numerous antique stores: In Fredericksburg, "antique" can be a verb

3 of many antique stores in old town

If I wanted to put up a stand-alone tip for each antique shop in old town, I could build a monster page, but that would be gratuitous. Even though I don't personally antique, the numerous such shops only add to the historic charm that is in the air in old town Fredericksburg. I visited a few shops mostly to come in from the occasional rain, but I could see a wide diversity in prices that fit most tastes.

What to buy: All manner of antiques can be found here.

• doug48's Profile Photo

grey ghost gallery: civil war art

by doug48 Updated Jun 6, 2011
    grey ghost gallery

the grey ghost gallery has an interesting collection of civil war related paintings and art. an interesting store to brouse their collection of paintings.

Instant Answers: Fredericksburg

Comments

Fredericksburg Shopping

Reviews and photos of Fredericksburg shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fredericksburg sightseeing.

View all Fredericksburg hotels