Fredericksburg Restaurants

Cup of Soup
    Burger

Most Recent Restaurants in Fredericksburg

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Poppy Hill Tuscan Kitchen: Great Brunch!

by Gillybob Updated Jun 26, 2012

Breakfast

After a great meal on Saturday evening, Sunday brunch was enjoyed by some of the Fredericksburg VT Meet attendees here. I had the breakfast special which was very enjoyable.

HOURS :

Dinner Service :
    Tuesday to Thursday 17:00 - 21:00
    Friday & Saturday 17:00 - 22:00
    Sunday 17:00 - 21:00

Brunch Service :
    Sunday 11:00 - 14:00

Closed Mondays

Favorite Dish: The brunch was lovely - more importantly, the applewood smoked bacon was delicious!

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Sammy T's: Easy, good food

by Gillybob Updated Jun 26, 2012

Inside Sammy T

In the main downtown area, Sammy T's is a popular eatery with customers at all times.

The menu has a good selection of traditional pub fare which includes items to suit all appetites.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the gourmet burger, which was very tasty. And had a delicious hot chocolate which was topped with just the right amount of whipped cream - yummy!

• starship's Profile Photo

Blue & Gray Brewing Company: Give Local Brewery A Try!

Courtesy of  Blue & Gray website

After our meet & greet dinner at the Fredericksburg VT meet, Chris (Foundryman1) was exceptionally kind and brought several types of "brew" from the "Blue & Gray Brewing Company"---Fred Red Ale, Classic Lager and Stonewall Stout. At least 2 of the names certainly express the connection with our host town. I think the guys at the VT meet enjoyed the beer a lot!!

These and other microbrews are served at "Lee's Retreat Pub" during lunch and dinner Tuesday-Thursday 11am-9pm, Fri-Sat until 11pm. More than that, you sample and purchase different types of brew throughout the year as they become available. You can even purchase it by the "growler." Personalize your "growler"? You'll have to check their website to understand this I bet!

They have retail store offering free tastings Wednesdays from 2-6pm; Fridays 3-8pm and Saturdays 10am-1pm Free tours are given Fridays & Saturdays (??) from 10am to 1pm as well.

If you visit Lee's Retreat and the Blue & Gray Brewing Company, say hi to Chris.

The Blarney Stone Public House: Recollections of the Emerald Isle

%cgThe Blarney Stone Public House

After the drive to Lake Anna Winery in Spotsylvania, we returned to downtown Fredericksburg for another look and a quick meal before the scheduled 6:30pm "Ghost Walk" which left from the Visitor's Center. At that time we didn't know that most VT'rs planned to eat after the walk rather than before.

Earlier in the day we had passed by an Irish shop and "The Blarney Stone Public House, " both of which looked inviting and lively. Although it was only early evening, the small bar at the back of The Blarney Stone Public House already was largely filled. We took a table in the front of the restaurant near the front window where we could see bypassers on the street and still enjoy the ambiance of the restaurant inside.

Service was prompt for us, but I felt very bad for the gentleman who came in just after us. A quiet, middle-aged man who I felt might have been from Ireland himself. Not only was he not given prompt service, but his meal was not as he ordered it. In fact, it seemed the waitress just disregarded him as if he was the invisible man. At the time, he was the only other person in the front part of the restaurant besides us and I saw no reason for the poor service given him.

As for our meals and service, they were both very good.

Favorite Dish: My choice of traditional "Fredericksburg Best Fish and Chips" (about $16.99) was tasty, hot and plenty of it. My husband chose the "Public House Beef & Guiness Stew" but the waitress returned to tell him they were out of stew that day (odd in my estimation). So his second choice was the "Lord Blarney's Favorite Shepherd's Pie" (about $15.99) which he pronounced very good as well. He washed his meal down with a Harp beer---a perfect ending.

Having lunch rather than dinner would have been considerably less expensive at the Blarney Stone. Our meals would have been about $10.99 and $9.99 respectively if we had dined before 5pm.--- our poor timing! However other less expensive choices on the menu that looked appetizing were the "Blarney Burger"($7.99); "Celtic Chicken Club" ($8.99); "Bangers N'Mash" ($7.99); "Emerald Green Lunch Salad" which came with chicken or salmon ($9.99). The most unusual thing on the menu was the All Day "Full Irish Breakfast" ($14.99) with "imported Irish favorites: Galtee bacon & sausage, black and white pudding, grilled mushrooms, tomato, fried egg and farmhouse bread."

I enjoyed my meal very much and the restaurant was very pleasant since it was very quiet in the front, but the poor service given the other gentleman was upsetting to me.

Bangkok Cafe: Nothing Fancy, Decent Thai Food

Hubby at Bangkok Cafe

After a small, continental breakfast at the hotel and with no set morning activities with the VT group, we decided to take the leisurely one mile or so walk from our hotel to old, downtown Fredericksburg. The sunny, mild weather was great for exploring the sights and shopping. On Caroline Street we briefly looked in, walked past, and then turned around to have lunch at the "Bangkok Cafe."

The decor was nothing to write home about, and the service was barely friendly, but as it turned out the food was quite good. It just seemed to me to be a low-key local restaurant, but since then reviews I've read are very mixed. A lot of people complained about the lack of decor---but there were actually a few pieces of Thai decor on the light green & cream-colored walls which I liked.

We were the first diners of the day, and the lady cooks set to work on our lunch. In the meantime, my order of Jasmine tea was served, and wontons and sauces kept hunger at bay until our food was served. The portions seemed small at first, but actually weren't at all and everything was very filling.

Favorite Dish: From the many choices of Thai salads, soups, poultry, curries, etc., I chose "Chicken Rama" which was a dish of tender chicken with broccoli and covered with a light peanut sauce. Combined with a bowl of brown rice, it made a very filling meal.

My husband's choice was the "Chicken with Ginger" (Pud-Khing) which was sauteed chicken with ginger, straw mushrooms, green & red peppers with onions. He enjoyed his meal as much as I did.

Virtually all lunch entrees, except the seafood choices, were priced at $7.50 (about normal for lunch these days). The same meals proportioned for dinner were $9.95.

Except for wishing for friendlier service, I found nothing that would discourage me from returning if we ever visited Fredericksburg again. In fact, I really kind of liked the place---it reminded of someplace you'd find in a college town.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Capital Ale House: Good beer and food in an Ale House

by littlesam1 Written Dec 6, 2010

The Capital Ale House in Fredericksburg is an excellent place for an afternoon lunch, and also perfect for a late evening meal. The Ale House offers a large selection of beer which is something Mark and I always look for when we are traveling. Along with the beer selection there is an excellent menu. Southern cooking at its best and at an affordable price. I highly recommend stopping in, if not for food, at least for a beer.

Hyperion Espresso: Good coffee

by rexvaughan Updated Nov 30, 2010

Thet gave great coffee and espresso here, including one of my favorites, Dancing Goats. They also have some nice looking pastries and an assortment of teas and iced drinks. I tried the coffee one evening and an expresso the next morning and both were great. It is an attractive place indoors and with sidewalk seating as well.
    Hours:
    Monday - Saturday: 7:00am - 10:00pm
    Sunday: 8:00am - 8:00pm

Goolrick's Pharmacy: Old fashioned drug store lunch counter

by rexvaughan Written Nov 30, 2010

While at the Virginia Wine experience, I asked the helpful young woman there where I could get a quick lunch. Well, Goolrick's is just across the street and she directed me there. It was a nostalgic trip for me as, when I was young, the local drugstores were great places for a good, inexpensive lunch, so I went in and was delighted with the whole place. The ambience was just what it should be, the advertising posters above the counter were vintage and the staff was friendly and helpful.
    Even if you don't want something to eat, it is worth a stop for a soft drink to see a fading part of American life.

Favorite Dish: I don't mean to demean the place, but it is not fine dining. However, I thoroughly enjoyed a good tuna salad sandwich with chips and a coke, all for about $5.

Poppy Hill Tuscan Kitchen: Top farm to table rating

by rexvaughan Written Nov 30, 2010

Four hungry VirtualTourists (in this case real)

This charming little place is tucked below street level on the corner of Charles and Williams Streets but on a nice Sunday morning there were tables set up on the sidewalk. I am sure this is a normal arrangement for any meal, weather permitting and it added a very nice ambience to our brunch.

Favorite Dish: Three of us had the Farmhouse Brealfast, 3 organic eggs cooked to order, applewood smoked bacon; grilled tomato, herb potatoes & toast. Our fourth had a frittata with goat cheese, tomato, prosciutto and baby bella mushrooms and toast with a small house salad on the side. Everyone was well pleased with the food and the service was very good as well. I did venture inside for a visit to the men’s room and the place is charming. I would love to go back for lunch or dinner.

The Farmhouse breakfast was $11 and the Fittata $1o

Instant Answers: Fredericksburg

Comments

Fredericksburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fredericksburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fredericksburg sightseeing.

View all Fredericksburg hotels