Fredericksburg Shopping

• Drawing of the patented Fredericksburg Lantern
    Drawing of the patented Fredericksburg...
  • Shopping
    Copper Martin guitar weathervane

Most Recent Shopping in Fredericksburg

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

The Virginia Wine Experience: Wine and beer from here and everywhere

by rexvaughan Written Nov 30, 2010

This little shop on the main shopping street in Fredericksburg was a revelation to me. I did not know that Virginia produced wine at all but was told that it is the 5th largest wine producing state in the US and that there are 180 vineyards in Virginia. I went in just looking for a couple of bottles for our Virtual Tourist dinner meeting I was attending and was met by a very pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful young woman. She gave me a lot of information about Virginia wines and, as I always like to try local products, she led me to a very large selection of Virginia wines. I got a couple of bottles of locally produced Cabernet Franc, went to my dinner and shared it with friends who pronounced it very good.
    The store has a pretty wide variety of wines not only from Virginia, but around the world and a great selection of beers as well. I know they have wine tastings as well and I think they go on most days. Stop in and let them help you feed your thirst for good wine and good beer.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

The Copper Shop: Copper craftsman's wares

by rexvaughan Written Nov 30, 2010

Tucked into a building behind the Inn at the Old Silk Mill is a unique and wonderful shop. I could have posted this place as a “local custom” or “shopping” tip as it is these as well as a great place to see. The craftsman/owner is Alan Green III whom I met on walking in. His father (no. II) designed the Fredericksburg Lantern, a beautiful copper piece with a glass encased candle in a brass frame which hangs on the wall. Mr. Green was most cordial and I spent about a half-hour talking with him. He shapes and decorates the copper by hand using a sand bag and hand made tools and produces beautiful work. He also does copper weathervanes and one piece he is particularly proud of is a vane which, instead of the traditional rooster on top, has a Martin guitar which is the last piece he and his father made together. There are lots of beautiful items you can purchase, but you can also just go an browse and visit like I did. It is a treat to find a true craftsman who loves his work and produces such lovely results

Instant Answers: Fredericksburg

Comments

Fredericksburg Shopping

Reviews and photos of Fredericksburg shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fredericksburg sightseeing.

View all Fredericksburg hotels