Luray Favorites

• the late, unlamented Diana's Country Diner
    the late, unlamented Diana's Country...
    Page Co-Op loading dock
    Valley Bells mural

Most Recent Favorites in Luray

Page Co-Op Farm Bureau

by gipper84 Written Sep 25, 2006

Page Co-Op loading dock

Favorite thing: One way to know a town keeps its rural nature is the presence of the feed store. A good sign a town is going more urban is the loss of the feed store. My older friends tell me there used to be one in Mechanicsville before all the development came this way. The Page Co-Op Farm Bureau still exists in Luray. Feed stores have everything farmers need to feed their livestock. Some sell seeds to plant crops, fertilizer, and farm equipment.

Luray Murals

by gipper84 Updated Sep 25, 2006

Valley Bells mural

Favorite thing: What surprised me the most about my trip to Luray was walking down the street and suddenly finding a mural on a wall. Normally, you would find murals like this in the arty sections of larger cities. These murals are done by local artists John Graves and Jennifer Bradt.

The first one Valley Bells can be found on the side of the Chamber of Commerce building. It shows the Singing Tower in the valley in the fall.

The second Story Hour at the Old One Room Schoolhouse is on the side of the Choices building downtown recalls my own memories of story time in school.

The third one is on the wall of the Visitor Center depicts the Norfolk & Western train station in Luray as it appeared in the 1940s. There are more murals in town which I didn't get to see. Hopefully, I will be back and add more.

• Architecture

Diana's Country Diner

by gipper84 Written Sep 25, 2006

the late, unlamented Diana's Country Diner

Fondest memory: Well, this is not really the fondest memory, but more of a cautionary tale. Diana's Country Diner went out of business between the time my family, Jessi, and I were there (July, 2005) and the time I put up this page. The food was okay, but not great. I had the fried chicken and potato wedges (what I get a lot at Ukrop's). Being a sit-down restaurant (compared to a deli section at the grocery store) I expected it to be some better, but it really wasn't. Not only that, the service was very inattentive. I had to practically beg for sweet tea. Worse than that, it wasn't as clean as I expect my restaurants to be. I can't say I was completely surprised because my friend researched reviews for this restaurant on the travel site and found these same complaints. I also wasn't surprised when my own research showed that Diana's closed down. Good riddance! Maybe it would still be open with friendlier service and a scrub here and there.

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

"Nature's largest hidden treasure"

by etfromnc Updated Apr 30, 2004

Favorite thing: The largest, most popular caverns on the Eastern seaboard. I do not particularly like caves but this place is unbelievable. The most awesome aspect for me was the stalacpipe organ which they bill as the world's largest musical instrument. It's pipes cover over three acres and it really works. The caverns are well lit with walkways and handrails for safety. Some of the stone columns are more than 10 stories tall. There are underground lakes that look like deep mirrors.

Please visit their website at www.luraycaverns.com
    for a delightful preview tour as well as a guide to many above ground features.

• Music
    • Archeology

Instant Answers: Luray

Comments

Luray Favorites

Reviews and photos of Luray favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Luray sightseeing.