Open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Closed Thanksgiving and December 25.
The park offers a wide array of activities, scenic vistas, historic sites and walking trails to interest the casual visitor or the true Civil War historian. A good place to begin your visit is the Henry Hill Visitor Center. Pick up a park brochure, map, trail guides and check out the daily schedule of interpretive programs.
The FREE park orientation Film "Manassas: End of Innocence" is shown in the Visitor Center theater.
Park Orientation Film
"Manassas: End of Innocence": This 45-minute film covers both the First and Second Battles of Manassas. The film shows daily, every hour on the hour, starting at 9 a.m. with the last show at 4 p.m. The program is close-captioned and hearing assisted devices are available upon request. Admission is free.
Artifacts and exhibits pertaining to the First Battle of Manassas are displayed in the Henry Hill Visitor Center museum. Exhibits include audio-visual displays and a fiber-optic battle map presentation that describes troop movements during the battle. Audio portions are close-captioned.
The plaque reads:
July 21, 1861. Confederates under General Beauregard defeated Federals under General McDowell. General Jackson given name of “Stonewall” on this field. Generals Bee and Bartow killed. Old stone house used as hospital. This marker erected July 21, 1928.
The plaque reads:
This building links today’s landscape to the battlefield scene. The roadbeds have not changed; thousands of soldiers noticed the Stone House as they marched through this strategic intersection.
During both battles Federals turned the former tavern into a field hospital. Bloody floorboards were hardly unique—most houses in the area became crowded with wounded men—yet in diary after diary soldiers mentioned this particular structure. The relatively unscarred walls may have provided an image of peacetime amid fields of terror.
(Photo Caption) Stone House in March 1862. The Park Service has restored and furnished the house to resemble its 1861 appearance. Much of the structure may be original: the stone walls, window frames, and some floorboards.
If you look closely to the side of building facing the street, just to the right of the door is a cannon ball embedded in the wall.
during the height of the fighting on henry hill general bernard bee exclaimed to general jackson, "the enemy is driving us." jackson replied "then, sir we will give them the bayonet". bee exhorted his own troops to re-form by shouting, "there is jackson standing there like a stonewall let us determine to die here, and we will conquer, rally behind the virginians". this quote made general thomas jackson a "cult" hero in the south. the thomas jackson statue is located on the henry hill walking tour.
after the massacre of the new york zouaves the confederates pressed east to chinn ridge. chinn ridge was the site of benjamin chinn house called hazel plain. from the left came wave after wave of confederates. at this moment the only union troops facing them were two regiments of the ohio infantry. the confederate columns divided around the chinn house and swept toward the fence line (pictured). less that 100 yards away, suddenly the ohioans rose out of the high grass and fired. after ten minutes of close range combat the confederates forced the ohioans off of chinn ridge toward henry hill. picture number two is the chinn house in 1862. today only the foundation remains. chinn ridge is stop number 10 on the batttlefield auto tour.
general jackson's line covered a front extending of about one and one half miles along the bed of the unfinished railroad. deep cut is a position of jackson's line on the unfinished railroad. on the morning of august 30 th mistakenly believing that the confederates were in retreat general pope ordered a "pursuit". 8,000 union troops attacked jackson's line at deep cut. about 3:00 pm the forces of generals fitz john porter and irvin mc dowell maneuvered in dense formations to attack up the slope of deep cut. exposed to raking confederate artillery fire from brawner farm and sheets of musket fire from jackson's infantry, the union assault was shattered and bloodily repulsed. the unfinished railroad and deep cut are stops 6 and 7 on the battlefield auto tour.
located near the dogan farm is the groveton confederate cemetery. the groveton cemetery was established in 1869 and contains approximately 500 confederate soldiers in trench graves identified by state. the majority of the soldiers interned here are unknown. the groveton confederate cemetery is at stop 8 on the battlefield auto tour.
on the morning of july 21 st 1861 the union forces of generals david hunter and samuel heintzelman forded bull run at sudley springs ford and moved south to matthews hill to meet the confederate forces of general nathan evans, general barnard bee and colonel francis bartow. sudley and sudley springs is stop number 5 on the battlefield auto tour.
the stone bridge is a iconic landmark of both the first and second battle of manassas. finally under the cover of darkness august 30 th 1862 general pope's defeated union army withdrew across bull run back to washington. general robert e. lee's bold and brilliant second manassas campaign opened the way for the confederacy's first invasion of the north. this stunning victory also gave the confederacy possible european recognition.
the hooe family cemetery is located on chinn ridge near the site of hazel plain. in 1748 patrick hamrick patented this tract of land which became known as mayfield plantation. in 1779 robert howsion hooe purchased the plantation. john hooe sr. was a gentleman farmer and slave holder who owned mayfield at the outbreak of the civil war. the hooe family left the area just before the first battle of bull run and did not return until after the civil war. today all that remains of mayfield is the hooe family cemetery. the hooe family cemetery is located at stop number 10 on the battlefield auto tour.
on the afternoon of august 30 th, seeing the union lines in disarray following the repulse of fitz john porter, general longstreet pushed his massive columns forward and staggered the union left flank. a brief futile stand by the 5 th and 10 th new york duyee's zouaves ended in a slaughter. in just five minutes the 5 th new york lost 123 men, the greatest loss of life in any single infantry regiment in the civil war. the 5 th and the 10 th new york regiments were commanded by abram duyee and were known as duyee's zouaves. his troops wore zouave costumes with red baggy pants, sashes, and oriental head gear. the new york monuments are stop number 9 on the batttlefield auto tour.
pictured is the luncinda dogan house that is all that remains of the crossroads village of groveton. it was over the dogan house fields that the union assualt upon deep cut was broken. the battle of dogan farm and deep cut were decisive confederate victories. groveton is stop 8 on the battlefield auto tour.
sudley is an area north of stony ridge near the sudley springs ford that was an important location during the first battle of bull run. in the area around sudley on august 29 th union troops repeatedly attacked jackson's left flank. confederate general maxy gregg's south carolina brigade was driven back near the site by union general phillip kearny's forces. only darkness prevented a fatal collapse of the confederate line. meanwhile unknown to pope, longstreet's troops had arrived on the battlefield near groveton to reinforce jackson's right flank. sudley is stop number 5 on the battlefield auto tour.
phillip kearny was one of the union's most able generals. on sept 1 st after the second battle of manassas the union had retreated west to chantilly in the direction of washington. during the battle of chantilly kearny decided to investigate a gap in the union line. responding to warnings of a subordinate, kearny replied, "the rebel bullet that can kill me has not been molded". later when encountering confederate troops, kearny ignored a demand to surrender and was shot in the spine killing him instantly. confederate general a. p. hill upon hearing the gunfire, ran up to the body of the illustrious soldier with a lantern and exclaimed, "you've killed phil kearny, he deserved a bettter fate than to die in the mud". general lee sent his body back to the union line, with a condolence note.
matthews hill was the site of fighting in both the first and second battle of manassas. in the second battle of manassas this hill was a staging point for thousands of union troops for their assualt on jackson's line at the "unfinished railroad".
the stone house is a famous landmark of both battles of bull run. in the second battle of manassas union general john pope made his headquarters on buck hill directly behind the house. the stone house was a union hospital during both battles. picture two is a cannon ball embedded in a wall of the stone house. the stone house is stop number 3 on the battlefield auto tour.
Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers