Mathews Favorites

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Richardson's Old Reliable (Rexall) Drug Store

by b1bob Updated Oct 16, 2004

Richardson's Old Reliable Drug Store

Fondest memory: When I saw that Rexall sign, I thought about Moe Bandy's song Americana (with which some of you are familiar) and I next thought about going inside and taking a picture of that soda fountain. On trying to gain entry, I was crestfallen to learn that Richardson's Old Reliable Drug Store (Rexall) closed about 10 years ago despite the prominent signage remaining. However, locals tell me it is planning to re-open, but only as a soda fountain, restored as near as possible to its original condition. I don't have a date for that yet, but it is progressing. I hope it keeps to its traditional appearance instead of going upscale to cater to the come-heres (people from other places who move here). VT member misspaige03 informs me that Richardson's is now open again in Mathews, VA. My friends own it and opened it again two weeks ago (as of mid-October, 2004). They serve ice cream and lunch and they pulled all the recipes from the old Richardson's archives. Next time you're in Mathews County you should stop by- they're cool people! Have fun!

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Gaynelle's house

by b1bob Written Oct 25, 2003

Gaynelle in front of the house

Fondest memory: Just south of town, friends of my family- Sammy and Gaynelle own a holiday house right on Winter Harbour in Port Haywood. Finding it is quite the challenge for the outsider, but why have a weekend getaway if you can't get away? Sadly, the house was entirely flooded out by Hurricane Isabel less than two weeks after I visited. Sammy and Gaynelle have told me that they plan to rebuild. Just like Gaynelle's daddy, my neighbour Bob Lamb, Sammy and Gaynelle entertain guests on the back porch.

Instant Answers: Mathews

Comments

Mathews Favorites

Reviews and photos of Mathews favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mathews sightseeing.