Norfolk Restaurants

• My Big Fat Greek Salad at Granby Street Bistro
    My Big Fat Greek Salad at Granby Street...
  • Joe's Crab Shack at the Waterside Marketplace
    Joe's Crab Shack at the Waterside...
    Coconut Shrimp, slaw & fries

Most Recent Restaurants in Norfolk

• starship's Profile Photo

D'Egg Diner: Breakfast Anyone?

D'Egg Diner in Downtown Norfolk

As the hotel didn't have its own breakfast spot, the porter suggested the "D'egg Diner" just near the Marriott Hotel. Wishing to get an early start for some sightseeing, I began my day at the D'egg Diner. If you are used to the restaurants which are called "diners" in the mid-Atlantic to northeast USA, D'egg Diner will not be what you might expect. It is not a diner in the sense of what a traditional diner is considered to be there. This is rather a very non-descript restaurant, and quite characterless, but the food was not bad and it was warm inside on the bitterly cold morning I had breakfast there.

I spent about 45 minutes enjoying my pecan pancakes with bacon and watching the morning crowd filter in. As this is not in a highly populated residential section, the restaurant caters mostly to the business crowd and hotel guests apparently. Service was OK and the price was fair enough.

Favorite Dish: The pecan pancakes were good, and if I were to eat at D'egg again, that's probably what I would order.

Bean There Cafe: Shabby Chic Coffee Shop

My photo of

One morning while in Norfolk I intended to visit the Norfolk Southern Railroad Museum but it was not yet open. Plan B was to visit the MacArthur Mall but it was not yet open either. Between these two places was the "Bean There Cafe," and since it was another terribly cold morning, having a hot cup of coffee and sitting in a cozy place seemed like just the ticket while I was waiting.

The "Bean There Cafe" was a large space with floor-to-ceiling windows, mis-matched but charming sofas, tables and chairs, and other seating arrangements tucked into little niches. Brand-labeled, burlap coffee bean bags did a nice job of decorating the upper walls. Pleasant music was playing and the lovely aroma of coffee filled the air though just a few people were there to appreciate it before easing into their weekday morning routine. A painted, French Provincial-style credenza made a nice place to display milk, cream, sugars, special toppings, spoons and napkins, and other accountrements coffee lovers might need. Along with all types of delicious coffee concoctions, the shop also offered an assortment of goodies such as muffins, danish, cakes, etc.

My plain, medium-sized coffee was $1.80 (2011 prices) with one free refill. I enjoyed sitting at my little table making travel notes and waiting for the museums to open.

Free WiFi here is a definite plus. Stop by for some of these extras:

Live Music

Thursday:7am-9pm
    Friday: 7am-11pm
    Saturday: 8am-8pm
    Sunday: 9am-4pm

Favorite Dish: Loved the shabby chic decor and relaxed feel of this coffee shop. Made me think I'd like to own a similar place!

Johnny Rockets: 50's Style Diner

Sitting Booth

"Johnny Rockets" is a fairly well-known chain restaurant which usually can be found in trendy places, and even on cruise ships. We found one in the food court of the MacArthur Center Mall in old, downtown Norfolk. Johnny Rockets is famous for its 1950's decor, including vintage Coca Cola signs and decor, advertisements, 1950's music, a juke box and other memorabilia.

Though it was a week night when we were there to have dinner, the restaurant was already quite full of families, couples and young people. We had to wait 15 minutes or so, but since the special was a large hamburger fully loaded with fries for $5, we thought the wait would be worth it. Drink refills were free and so the meal was quite inexpensive and filling.

Since the service was a little slow and the hamburger was a little sloppy, I enjoyed the decor and the music more than the food but I really shouldn't complain considering the price!! If "Johnny Rockets" is not your first choice or the wait is too long, the mall had a good selection of places to eat or get quick meals in its large food court area.

Favorite Dish: Love the 50's decor and 50's music----wish my hamburger bun hadn't fallen apart!!

• starship's Profile Photo

Virginia Originals and Chesapeake Grill: Stopping for Breakfast on the Chesapeake Bay

by starship Updated Jun 14, 2012

Virginia Originals and Chesapeake Grill

Recently renovated and under new management, the "Virginia Originals and Chesapeake Grill" is located midway on one span of the mid-twentieth century's engineering marvels--The Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. The Bridge Tunnel crosses to/from Virginia Beach to the Eastern Shore of Virginia. I first crossed it as a young girl when I just had to visit Chincoteague, Virginia, and be there for pony penning day (this yearly event is recounted in Marguerite Henry's "Misty of Chincoteague") .

The unique feature of this combination restaurant, gift shop, and snack bar happens to be that it's literally on a man-made island in the middle of the bridge span AND it's a great place to stop over for a meal and the views are sensational. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner but we stopped there and had a great Southern breakfast while we enjoyed the waterview. My delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, grits cost about $8.50 including a bottomless cup of coffee.

Since we would have to pay a toll for the bridge on our way north anyway, it was a great opportunity to have a meal while enjoying the great view, and then pick up some very special seaside souvenirs in the gift shop! There is also a pier for fishing which is free of charge if you have time to linger and you have fishing tackle in your car.

Favorite Dish: We've stopped many times but most often for snacks. I am really glad we stopped for breakfast this time because it was delicious. I am sure that any item on the menu for dinner would be as good, though choices maybe limited.

Max and Erma's: Beef-eatting in the MacArthur Center downtown

Logo from webpage

This is apparently a chain which our friends were familiar with. After we walked up to the MacArthur Center and looked unsuccessfully for long pants that Bob would approve of, we looked around for a place to eat, and they recommended this one.

This is a dark wood /steakhouse/bar kind of place. Burgers, chicken, soups, salads and entrees.

A food reviewer says:
    "The buffalo chicken sandwhich is awesome and don't forget the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies for dessert!"

Favorite Dish: Food was good, but I don't remember much else about it. They have burgers, steak and BBQ. I think I might have had something like:

ERMA'S MEATLOAF
    A thick slice of homemade meatloaf and mashed potatoes smothered in our rich gravy. Served with buttered corn. $9.29

The total bill for the two of us was $30.22 including the tip.

Jillian's Hibachi Grill: Upstairs in at Waterside

Looking up at Jillians

Jillians has billiards, video games etc. It was noisy walking through the mall to get to it. Bob said it was too cold to sit outside. If it had been warmer, it would have been nice to sit outside and look out over the activity in the harbor. Of course later in the year, the leaves might obstruct your view more.

The Hamptonroads.com website says:
    "Four themes under one roof - includes blues café, sports bar, tiki bar and game room"

The Jillian's website says: Kick back and jam to rock n’ roll tunes while our talented and dynamic cooks grill a six-course meal right at your table.

Favorite Dish: I had barbecue meatloaf and Bob had ribs.

SPECIAL FEATURES
    Minor curfew implemented at 9 p.m.
    children's menu, high chairs, booster seats

OTHER INFO
    Smoking not allowed in dining area. Four smoking tables available.
    Alcohol Served

Hours of Operation

Club Hours:
    Sunday - Wednesday: 11:00am - Midnight
    Thursday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00am

Mojo Hours:
    Thursday, Friday and Saturday:
    9:00pm - 2:00am

Mojo is a live dance club and lounge that will mesmerize you with pounding, pulsating live drum and conga beats all set to the hottest Top 40 remixes of today.

• Cruise
    • Beaches

Dixie's Tavern: Waterside

Sculpture on the docks with Dixie Tavern sign

On the way back home, we ate at Dixie Tavern. A meal for two of us was $21.13 without the tip.

The website says: "Festive New Orleans atmosphere - a popular night spot." (Hamptonroads.com)

Favorite Dish: There was a scathing review of this place which said it part:
    "Dixie tavern is no place for a lady...Good place for "spring break" like atmosphere if that is what your into." That's the kindest part of the review.

I didn't find the place particularly appealing, and doubt if we would go back, but it wasn't that bad. Perhaps that is because we normally eat dinner pretty early.

Looking at their website, I see that they sometimes have jello wrestling, and they advertise Pool Table, Foosball, Darts, (7) Large-screen TV's.

Hours of Operation:
    Monday-Thursday: 4PM-2AM
    Friday-Saturday: 11AM-2AM

• School Holidays

• starship's Profile Photo

Joe's Crab Shack at Waterside Festival Marketplace: Seafood Lovers Feast!

by starship Updated Mar 4, 2011

Joe's Crab Shack at the Waterside Marketplace

Being raised near the Chesapeake Bay, a large part of my diet as I was growing up was seafood. I especially love flounder, crab, clams, shrimp, scallops and lobster. When we discovered a "Joe's Crab Shack" was located inside the Waterside Festival Marketplace, I knew we had to eat there.

The large restaurant is appropriately decorated with seashore & nautical decor, has a neat little bar area, a gift shop and overlooks the Elizabeth River. In the summer time it must be a bustling place but when we arrived for lunch, it was nearly empty.

Our lunch of coconut-crusted shrimp with french fries, coleslaw and sweet mango dipping sauce was fantastic! Served piping hot, just the way I like it, the shrimp were superbly flavorful. Though the french fries were good, I would have exchanged the fries for hush puppies but unfortunately I didn't have that choice. For a price less than $10 and with free soft drink refills, I thought it was a good deal.

We enjoyed it so much we decided to come back for dinner! We had the "Joe's Classic Steampot for 2." Something akin to a clam bake, but instead of being cooked in a pot buried in coals in the sand, Joe's Crab Shack steampots are really steamed. Our steampot for 2 included dungeness crab, snow crab, boiled shrimp, smoked andouille sausage, corn on the cob, and potatoes! It was quite a feast for seafood lovers and costs about $40 for the 2 of us which for that type of seafood, in that quantity, was really reasonable.

Other steampots have a variety of seafood combinations, but all contain fresh corn on the cob, potatoes, and andouille sausage.

Favorite Dish: The Joe's Classic Steampot for 2" was a perfect seafood feast for me. It could have only been better if it also had steamed clams. Don't forget Joe's Crab Shack also offers domestic and imported beers, mixed drinks, and "crabby apple crumble," "sea turtle sundae," and "key lime pie" for dessert if you have room after your dinner!

Granby Street Bistro & Deli: A Local Favorite Lunchtime Stop

by starship Updated Mar 3, 2011

photo courtesy of Yelp

After a long morning of sightseeing on foot in the old downtown area of Norfolk, I was ready for a bite to eat. Earlier in the day I had passed a rather cute looking, little place with outside tables which in better weather might have been occupied.

I popped in just before the regular lunch crowd, and sat at a table looking out at the street. The Bistro & Deli was also doing a brisk take-out business with the local crowd. The atmosphere is cusual and popular with local workers. My waitress arrived promptly and I ordered a Greek Salad with only a glass of water with lemon. The salad was a good size and really very tasty--lots of chopped green lettuce, tomatoes, Greek olives, feta cheese, cucumbers and red onion with fantastic dressing.

I was really enjoying the salad and would have liked to linger in the Bistro much longer as the inside was warm and cozy though nothing fancy. I would definitely have lunch here again if given the opportunity as the atmosphere was nice, the food good, and the price not bad though I think they could have offered rolls or crackers with the salad. The Bistro location is within easy walking distance of historic sites, the waterfront, shopping and many other attractions making it a good place from which to continue sightseeing.

Favorite Dish: I only had the Greek Salad but it was very good and there were at least a dozen Greek olives on it with a generous amount of feta cheese. The price was $6.75 which I though was fair but as mentioned above, I would have been happy if it was accompanied by rolls or crackers.

The Granby Bistro & Deli had a large menu with a Greek/Mediterranean influence. Their hummus & pita is supposed to be terrific and now I wish I had ordered some to go with my salad!!

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

O' Sullivan's Wharf: good seafood

by davecallahan Updated Mar 21, 2007

(from the menu ads)

This is primarily a seafood restaurant.
    We happened to stop in at lunch time however and their lunch menu is more meat sandwiches and wraps. I had the turkey club and my wife had the chicken wrap.
    Both were large portions and nicely presented and delicious.

The lunch menu offers sandwiches with beef or turkey or crabmeat or tuna or chicken and wraps with chicken or tuna or BBQ beef.

The dinner menu is more extensive.
    Appetizers include, clams and oysters and hush-puppies and shrimp as well as nachos and chili and garlic bread.
    Entrees are fish fillets, steamed clams, seafood combos, shrimp tempura as well as roast beef and pasta and pork loin.
    There is a good list of wines and mixed drinks.
    They have live entertainment in the evening for the diners' enjoyment.

The lunch price was relatively cheap and we were casually dressed (from going to the Mariner Museum). The service was fast and friendly.

• robertnavy's Profile Photo

CLUB SODA: GREAT SEAFOOD, MARTINI RESTAURANT

by robertnavy Updated Mar 11, 2007

THIS IS, I BELIEVE, THE GREATEST RESTAURANT IN NORFOLK, FOOD PRICES ARE AVERAGE FOR TYPE OF RESTAURANT IN DOWNTOWN NORFOLK AREA. ITS VERY NICE WITH A GREAT MODERN DECOR WITH HAND BLOWN GLASS MADE BY LOCAL ARTIST. VERY FRIENDLY AND KNOWLEDGEABLE STAFF AND GREAT BAR TENDERS WITH THE GREATEST FOOD. GREAT FOR DRINKS AND NICE BIG MEAL. HAPPY HOUR IS 5-7P OPEN TUE-SAT OPENS AT 5p. HALF PRICE WINE NIGHT ON THURS. AND WEEKLY SPECIALS. COME IN SEE PAULINE ASST MGR, STEVE MGR. CHEF LYLE HEAD CHEF KITCHEN MGR AND MICHELE TABATHA. AND ALL THE FRIENDLY COURTEOUS STAFF THERE AT CLUB SODA

Favorite Dish: THERE ARE A LOT OF FAVORITES MY FAVORITE IS THE SALMON, AND THE PORK CHOP W/MUSTARD SAUCE. AND DESERT THE CHOCOLATE DENACHE...THE MENU IS CHANGED TWICE A YEAR SO MANY FAVORITES AND GREAT MARTINI BARTENDER HER NAME IS PAULINE TELL HER ROBERT SENT YOU. ALSO TALK WITH STEVE HE IS GOOD BARTENDER AND ENTERTAINING AS WELL

Outback Steakhouse: Norfolk Australian

by grandmaR Updated Dec 11, 2005

Steak and sweet potato

When we got back from touring Portsmouth, we still didn't feel like going to Joe's so we went to Outback. If I am tired, I fall back on comfort food - steak and potatoes and plain cooking without a lot of frills.

My children like to take the grandchildren here because there is a good kid's menu

Joey Menu
    Just for littlies, that's Aussie for kids, under 10.
    Entrées, except Mac A Roo 'N Cheese, served with choice of steamed veggies, broccoli, jacket potato, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, or Aussie Chips. Includes a beverage too.
    Joey Sirloin
    Grilled Chicken On The Barbie
    Junior Ribs
    Mac A Roo 'N Cheese
    Grilled Cheese-A-Roo
    Boomerang Cheese Burger
    Kookaburra Chicken Fingers
    Spotted Dog Sundae with your choice of Oreo® cookie crumbles or chocolate sauce

We walked from the boat, but there is parking at the Waterside garage. Outback, however, does not validate.

Favorite Dish: Gold Coast Coconut Shrimp and Aussie Cheese Fries are my favorite appetizers. I also like the Bleu Cheese Chopped Salad. I usually get a steak for a main course and the Sydney's Sinful Sundae® (Vanilla ice cream rolled in toasted coconut, covered in chocolate sauce and topped with whipped cream) is my favorite dessert. Bob prefers the Thunder from Down Under (the chocolate brownie)

(You may notice from this list that I love coconut and also cheese)

Hooters: From Florida

by grandmaR Updated May 8, 2004

Philly Cheesesteak and curly fries

This is advertised as a slice of Florida.

Hooters is pretty much all over the eastern US , although there are a couple in Canada, in California and one or two in Seattle.

In April 2004, after being told for the second time that we'd have a 20 minute wait at Joe's Crab Shack, we ate lunch at Hooters. The waitresses are nice and pretty and the food is reliable.

Favorite Dish: The menu is mostly hamburgers and grille food. I had the Philly special which included curly fries and cole slaw, and Bob had a hamburger.

Some other things from the menu:

Cuban Sandwich
    A toasted "stogie" roll filled with layers of pork loin, ham, pickles, and spicy mustard.

Sampler Platter
    Crab legs, steamed shrimp, our famous wings and buffalo shrimp.

Quesadillas
    A Southwest favorite. A grilled flour tortilla filled with Chicken or Steak, Cheddar and Monterey Jack Cheese

• Business Travel

Joe's Crab Shack: Seafood With an Attitude

by grandmaR Updated May 4, 2004

Norfolk mermaid pointing to Joes

We've never felt like eating seafood with an attitude when we came to Waterside. We wanted a place a bit quieter and more relaxed. We tried to eat at one that was at Barefoot Landing, and they told us we'd have to wait 20 minutes for a table when the place was empty.

We tried again to eat lunch at Waterside in April 2004, and again they said a 20 minute wait. So we went and ate at Hooters instead.

Favorite Dish: They do have a 'sand lot' (McDonalds type playground) for the kids.

• Business Travel

King's Chinese Restaurant and Sushi Bar: Another Possibility

by grandmaR Written Jan 1, 2004

From Waterside brochure

We're not comfortable eating sushi (which I thought was Japanese and not Chinese in any case), so we haven't been here. But it is another possibility at Waterside.

Favorite Dish: The brochure says "Specializing in fine Chinese dining. Sushi. full bar. Cocktails and pollinated drinks. Lunch & Dinner served 7 days a week. Open 11:30 am
    Close 11:00 pm

Instant Answers: Norfolk

Comments

Norfolk Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Norfolk restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Norfolk sightseeing.