Norfolk Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Norfolk

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Captain Groovy's Grill and Raw Bar: Love the name and the food is pretty good too!

by blueskyjohn Updated Mar 17, 2015

This is a beach style shack house with a main dining area and patio in front. It is very close to the ocean and I am sure during summer it must receive a lot of traffic. I stopped in for Brunch and order the Bali Chicken. This is blackened chicken topped with beacon, avocado and provolone on a roll. It does come with french fries and a side of chipolte ranch sauce. It was very good for lunch.

Monday 11:00 am – 9:00 pm
    Saturday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
    Sunday 11:00 am – 9:00 pm

Freemason Abbey: Good food in an old world church

by blueskyjohn Updated Mar 17, 2015

The building that this restaurant is in was initially a church built in 1873 and dedicated to the Second Presbyterian Church. In 1902 the property was sold to the First Church of Christ Scientist, who occupied the building until 1948. From 1948 to 1987, the building was a meeting hall for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In 1988, the restaurant took ownership and has been here ever since.

There is a small bar to right after entering and there is a large dining hall and balcony are also for dining. I chose to eat at stand up tables in the bar area.

I ordered the Grilled Stuffed Pork Chop which is a center cut pork chop stuffed with spinach, apples, toasted walnuts and goat cheese, served over smashed potatoes and asparagus with a maple honey Dijon drizzle. The stuffing part of this was very good but you only get one pork chop that is rather small and there was not much Dijon drizzle. So the rest of the pork chop was dry.

The atmosphere is great but can be a bit loud. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I would eat here again for the atmosphere but definitely try a different dish.

Monday 11:00 am – 9:30 pm
    Sunday 9:30 am – 9:30 pm

• Architecture

No Frill Bar and Grill: Worthy of a second chance

by blueskyjohn Updated Mar 17, 2015

This is a large casual restaurant. There is indoor seating and a enclosed patio. It is rather loud place indoor but the patio area is a bit quieter. I don't make it the south very often so I wanted to try something popular in the south, or at least that is what I've heard. So I ordered the Norfolk Hot Brown. This Hot Brown is made with Grilled chicken, Surry ham, tomato, Norfolk Canyon Ale sauce and Cheddar Jack, over sourdough toast points, and come with two sides. For the sides I had the mashed potatoes and the maple sugar baked beans.

I did not what I was getting into. The dish was mostly cheese and a cream sauce. The portion is huge but it was too much cheese and too much cream sauce. However, I saw many dishes go to other tables that looked very good.

So it is not No Frill's fault I did not enjoy the meal because I took a chance and it good have been the best Hot Brown in the world. So I would go here again to try another dish.

Monday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
    Tuesday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
    Wednesday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
    Thursday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
    Friday 11:00 am – 11:00 pm
    Saturday 11:00 am – 11:00 pm
    Sunday 10:00 am – 10:00 pm

Favorite Dish: The maple sugar baked bean were very good but very sweet.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Chocollage: Great chocolate cookies!

by blueskyjohn Updated Mar 17, 2015

The is a small little bakery specializing in desserts. The seating area is very nice and when you walk in there is a large picture window where you can see into the kitchen and was the staff bake. The offerings are not extensive right now. I was told by the owner that they just moved from across the street recently. They have a good variety of crunch bars but I opted for a double chocolate and walnut cookies. They were excellent. I would stop in again if not for the cookies but to sample other desserts.

Monday 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
    Saturday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
    Sunday Closed

Hokkaido Sushi Bar: Large portions but average sushi roll

by blueskyjohn Updated Mar 17, 2015

Maybe because I was near the ocean, I decided I wanted some sushi. Hokkaido has a very open set up with the majority of the seating on the first floor with high ceilings but a second floor that overlooks the first. There is a lot of seating here. When I came in for lunch there was only a few people. I was seating promptly and the service staff were friendly but their English is very bad and two had difficulty explaining some of the sushi menu.

I decided on Yaki Udon with chicken and vegetables with an order of spicy tuna roll. The roll was very basic and about average. However the Udon was very good and I would order this again.

Monday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
    Tuesday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
    Wednesday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
    Thursday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
    Friday 11:00 am – 11:00 pm
    Saturday 12:00 – 11:00 pm
    Sunday 12:00 – 10:00 pm

• starship's Profile Photo

D'Egg Diner: Breakfast Anyone?

by starship Updated Nov 18, 2013

As the hotel didn't have its own breakfast spot, the porter suggested the "D'egg Diner" just near the Marriott Hotel. Wishing to get an early start for some sightseeing, I began my day at the D'egg Diner. If you are used to the restaurants which are called "diners" in the mid-Atlantic to northeast USA, D'egg Diner will not be what you might expect. It is not a diner in the sense of what a traditional diner is considered to be there. This is rather a very non-descript restaurant, and quite characterless, but the food was not bad and it was warm inside on the bitterly cold morning I had breakfast there.

I spent about 45 minutes enjoying my pecan pancakes with bacon and watching the morning crowd filter in. As this is not in a highly populated residential section, the restaurant caters mostly to the business crowd and hotel guests apparently. Service was OK and the price was fair enough.

Favorite Dish: The pecan pancakes were good, and if I were to eat at D'egg again, that's probably what I would order.

D'Egg Diner in Downtown Norfolk

Bean There Cafe: Shabby Chic Coffee Shop

by starship Updated Nov 18, 2013

One morning while in Norfolk I intended to visit the Norfolk Southern Railroad Museum but it was not yet open. Plan B was to visit the MacArthur Mall but it was not yet open either. Between these two places was the "Bean There Cafe," and since it was another terribly cold morning, having a hot cup of coffee and sitting in a cozy place seemed like just the ticket while I was waiting.

The "Bean There Cafe" was a large space with floor-to-ceiling windows, mis-matched but charming sofas, tables and chairs, and other seating arrangements tucked into little niches. Brand-labeled, burlap coffee bean bags did a nice job of decorating the upper walls. Pleasant music was playing and the lovely aroma of coffee filled the air though just a few people were there to appreciate it before easing into their weekday morning routine. A painted, French Provincial-style credenza made a nice place to display milk, cream, sugars, special toppings, spoons and napkins, and other accountrements coffee lovers might need. Along with all types of delicious coffee concoctions, the shop also offered an assortment of goodies such as muffins, danish, cakes, etc.

My plain, medium-sized coffee was $1.80 (2011 prices) with one free refill. I enjoyed sitting at my little table making travel notes and waiting for the museums to open.

Free WiFi here is a definite plus. Stop by for some of these extras:

Live Music

Thursday:7am-9pm
    Friday: 7am-11pm
    Saturday: 8am-8pm
    Sunday: 9am-4pm

Favorite Dish: Loved the shabby chic decor and relaxed feel of this coffee shop. Made me think I'd like to own a similar place!

My photo of Photo from Yelp.com reviews My photo of Photo from Yelp.com reviews

Johnny Rockets: 50's Style Diner

by starship Updated Nov 18, 2013

"Johnny Rockets" is a fairly well-known chain restaurant which usually can be found in trendy places, and even on cruise ships. We found one in the food court of the MacArthur Center Mall in old, downtown Norfolk. Johnny Rockets is famous for its 1950's decor, including vintage Coca Cola signs and decor, advertisements, 1950's music, a juke box and other memorabilia.

Though it was a week night when we were there to have dinner, the restaurant was already quite full of families, couples and young people. We had to wait 15 minutes or so, but since the special was a large hamburger fully loaded with fries for $5, we thought the wait would be worth it. Drink refills were free and so the meal was quite inexpensive and filling.

Since the service was a little slow and the hamburger was a little sloppy, I enjoyed the decor and the music more than the food but I really shouldn't complain considering the price!! If "Johnny Rockets" is not your first choice or the wait is too long, the mall had a good selection of places to eat or get quick meals in its large food court area.

Favorite Dish: Love the 50's decor and 50's music----wish my hamburger bun hadn't fallen apart!!

Sitting Booth

• starship's Profile Photo

Virginia Originals and Chesapeake Grill: Stopping for Breakfast on the Chesapeake Bay

by starship Updated Jun 14, 2012

Recently renovated and under new management, the "Virginia Originals and Chesapeake Grill" is located midway on one span of the mid-twentieth century's engineering marvels--The Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. The Bridge Tunnel crosses to/from Virginia Beach to the Eastern Shore of Virginia. I first crossed it as a young girl when I just had to visit Chincoteague, Virginia, and be there for pony penning day (this yearly event is recounted in Marguerite Henry's "Misty of Chincoteague") .

The unique feature of this combination restaurant, gift shop, and snack bar happens to be that it's literally on a man-made island in the middle of the bridge span AND it's a great place to stop over for a meal and the views are sensational. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner but we stopped there and had a great Southern breakfast while we enjoyed the waterview. My delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, grits cost about $8.50 including a bottomless cup of coffee.

Since we would have to pay a toll for the bridge on our way north anyway, it was a great opportunity to have a meal while enjoying the great view, and then pick up some very special seaside souvenirs in the gift shop! There is also a pier for fishing which is free of charge if you have time to linger and you have fishing tackle in your car.

Favorite Dish: We've stopped many times but most often for snacks. I am really glad we stopped for breakfast this time because it was delicious. I am sure that any item on the menu for dinner would be as good, though choices maybe limited.

Virginia Originals and Chesapeake Grill Outdoor Eating Area Fishing Pier Breakfast Southern Style Bridge Police

Max and Erma's: Beef-eatting in the MacArthur Center downtown

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is apparently a chain which our friends were familiar with. After we walked up to the MacArthur Center and looked unsuccessfully for long pants that Bob would approve of, we looked around for a place to eat, and they recommended this one.

This is a dark wood /steakhouse/bar kind of place. Burgers, chicken, soups, salads and entrees.

A food reviewer says:
    "The buffalo chicken sandwhich is awesome and don't forget the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies for dessert!"

Favorite Dish: Food was good, but I don't remember much else about it. They have burgers, steak and BBQ. I think I might have had something like:

ERMA'S MEATLOAF
    A thick slice of homemade meatloaf and mashed potatoes smothered in our rich gravy. Served with buttered corn. $9.29

The total bill for the two of us was $30.22 including the tip.

Logo from webpage

Jillian's Hibachi Grill: Upstairs in at Waterside

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Jillians has billiards, video games etc. It was noisy walking through the mall to get to it. Bob said it was too cold to sit outside. If it had been warmer, it would have been nice to sit outside and look out over the activity in the harbor. Of course later in the year, the leaves might obstruct your view more.

The Hamptonroads.com website says:
    "Four themes under one roof - includes blues café, sports bar, tiki bar and game room"

The Jillian's website says: Kick back and jam to rock n’ roll tunes while our talented and dynamic cooks grill a six-course meal right at your table.

Favorite Dish: I had barbecue meatloaf and Bob had ribs.

SPECIAL FEATURES
    Minor curfew implemented at 9 p.m.
    children's menu, high chairs, booster seats

OTHER INFO
    Smoking not allowed in dining area. Four smoking tables available.
    Alcohol Served

Hours of Operation

Club Hours:
    Sunday - Wednesday: 11:00am - Midnight
    Thursday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00am

Mojo Hours:
    Thursday, Friday and Saturday:
    9:00pm - 2:00am

Mojo is a live dance club and lounge that will mesmerize you with pounding, pulsating live drum and conga beats all set to the hottest Top 40 remixes of today.

Looking up at Jillians One of the Waterside sculptures Waterside complex from the marina Looking down onto the marina List of restaurants
    • Cruise
    • Beaches

Dixie's Tavern: Waterside

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

On the way back home, we ate at Dixie Tavern. A meal for two of us was $21.13 without the tip.

The website says: "Festive New Orleans atmosphere - a popular night spot." (Hamptonroads.com)

Favorite Dish: There was a scathing review of this place which said it part:
    "Dixie tavern is no place for a lady...Good place for "spring break" like atmosphere if that is what your into." That's the kindest part of the review.

I didn't find the place particularly appealing, and doubt if we would go back, but it wasn't that bad. Perhaps that is because we normally eat dinner pretty early.

Looking at their website, I see that they sometimes have jello wrestling, and they advertise Pool Table, Foosball, Darts, (7) Large-screen TV's.

Hours of Operation:
    Monday-Thursday: 4PM-2AM
    Friday-Saturday: 11AM-2AM

Sculpture on the docks with Dixie Tavern sign Sign inside Waterside RosalieAnn at the dock
    • School Holidays
    • Sailing and Boating

• starship's Profile Photo

Joe's Crab Shack at Waterside Festival Marketplace: Seafood Lovers Feast!

by starship Updated Mar 4, 2011

Being raised near the Chesapeake Bay, a large part of my diet as I was growing up was seafood. I especially love flounder, crab, clams, shrimp, scallops and lobster. When we discovered a "Joe's Crab Shack" was located inside the Waterside Festival Marketplace, I knew we had to eat there.

The large restaurant is appropriately decorated with seashore & nautical decor, has a neat little bar area, a gift shop and overlooks the Elizabeth River. In the summer time it must be a bustling place but when we arrived for lunch, it was nearly empty.

Our lunch of coconut-crusted shrimp with french fries, coleslaw and sweet mango dipping sauce was fantastic! Served piping hot, just the way I like it, the shrimp were superbly flavorful. Though the french fries were good, I would have exchanged the fries for hush puppies but unfortunately I didn't have that choice. For a price less than $10 and with free soft drink refills, I thought it was a good deal.

We enjoyed it so much we decided to come back for dinner! We had the "Joe's Classic Steampot for 2." Something akin to a clam bake, but instead of being cooked in a pot buried in coals in the sand, Joe's Crab Shack steampots are really steamed. Our steampot for 2 included dungeness crab, snow crab, boiled shrimp, smoked andouille sausage, corn on the cob, and potatoes! It was quite a feast for seafood lovers and costs about $40 for the 2 of us which for that type of seafood, in that quantity, was really reasonable.

Other steampots have a variety of seafood combinations, but all contain fresh corn on the cob, potatoes, and andouille sausage.

Favorite Dish: The Joe's Classic Steampot for 2" was a perfect seafood feast for me. It could have only been better if it also had steamed clams. Don't forget Joe's Crab Shack also offers domestic and imported beers, mixed drinks, and "crabby apple crumble," "sea turtle sundae," and "key lime pie" for dessert if you have room after your dinner!

Joe's Crab Shack at the Waterside Marketplace Coconut Shrimp, slaw & fries Gift Shop Great White One of the many eating areas

Granby Street Bistro & Deli: A Local Favorite Lunchtime Stop

by starship Updated Mar 3, 2011

After a long morning of sightseeing on foot in the old downtown area of Norfolk, I was ready for a bite to eat. Earlier in the day I had passed a rather cute looking, little place with outside tables which in better weather might have been occupied.

I popped in just before the regular lunch crowd, and sat at a table looking out at the street. The Bistro & Deli was also doing a brisk take-out business with the local crowd. The atmosphere is cusual and popular with local workers. My waitress arrived promptly and I ordered a Greek Salad with only a glass of water with lemon. The salad was a good size and really very tasty--lots of chopped green lettuce, tomatoes, Greek olives, feta cheese, cucumbers and red onion with fantastic dressing.

I was really enjoying the salad and would have liked to linger in the Bistro much longer as the inside was warm and cozy though nothing fancy. I would definitely have lunch here again if given the opportunity as the atmosphere was nice, the food good, and the price not bad though I think they could have offered rolls or crackers with the salad. The Bistro location is within easy walking distance of historic sites, the waterfront, shopping and many other attractions making it a good place from which to continue sightseeing.

Favorite Dish: I only had the Greek Salad but it was very good and there were at least a dozen Greek olives on it with a generous amount of feta cheese. The price was $6.75 which I though was fair but as mentioned above, I would have been happy if it was accompanied by rolls or crackers.

The Granby Bistro & Deli had a large menu with a Greek/Mediterranean influence. Their hummus & pita is supposed to be terrific and now I wish I had ordered some to go with my salad!!

photo courtesy of Yelp Granby Bistro & Deli My Big Fat Greek Salad at Granby Street Bistro Check out & deli counters courtesy of Yelp

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

O' Sullivan's Wharf: good seafood

by davecallahan Updated Mar 21, 2007

This is primarily a seafood restaurant.
    We happened to stop in at lunch time however and their lunch menu is more meat sandwiches and wraps. I had the turkey club and my wife had the chicken wrap.
    Both were large portions and nicely presented and delicious.

The lunch menu offers sandwiches with beef or turkey or crabmeat or tuna or chicken and wraps with chicken or tuna or BBQ beef.

The dinner menu is more extensive.
    Appetizers include, clams and oysters and hush-puppies and shrimp as well as nachos and chili and garlic bread.
    Entrees are fish fillets, steamed clams, seafood combos, shrimp tempura as well as roast beef and pasta and pork loin.
    There is a good list of wines and mixed drinks.
    They have live entertainment in the evening for the diners' enjoyment.

The lunch price was relatively cheap and we were casually dressed (from going to the Mariner Museum). The service was fast and friendly.

(from the menu ads)

Instant Answers: Norfolk

Comments

Norfolk Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Norfolk restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Norfolk sightseeing.