Occoquan Restaurants

the gracious welcome sign
    by zanzooni

Most Recent Restaurants in Occoquan

• zanzooni's Profile Photo

Occoquan Inn: True Southern cusine..

by zanzooni Updated Apr 4, 2011

Getting ready for Christmas

I love this place..so original, so warm, and so authentic. The ghost story absolutely fascinates me to no end. The food is simplistic, but perfect in presentation and taste. The menu was hard to choose from as they have designed it to fit the tastes of the Metro DC populace.

• zanzooni's Profile Photo

Tim's Rivershore Restaurant: Great Place to dock your boat and party.

by zanzooni Written Dec 27, 2009

Fun on the Potomac.

The star rating is for the food and service only. I bet "Tim's" is an awesome place to come and party at, but only if I live right down the road, as the drive is a bit much during the day, due to back road driving along a railroad track, and I can't imagine what it would be like at night after several drinks, OR if I have a boat with a pilot doing the navigation routine after I've become...well, sorta intoxicated. Once again, I am looking for that awesome place on the water in the Metro DC area. Good food, ambiance, a place I can bring the family on outings(suitable for children) bring myself sans family, and not break the bank on crap food and service. I really wanted to like this place for something. I didn't, but my 8 year old granddaughter did for the water and the ability to go digging in the sand for oyster shells, partial fish jaws, and a live clam to take home and examine at her leisure and google to find out what she had dug up. That was the best of the experience. I always arrive after the rush, as that is when you get to experience the true feel of the place. I arrived with a 12 mo. old on my hip, and a very active 8 year old. Had no clue where I was going, and as there are no greeters or hostesses, it was a bit confusing for a moment. I walked from the parking lot, and up to the boardwalk, and stopped a server mid her delivery. Albeit she was helpful, I got the idea she was rather busy. I wandered over to a table by the water and hoped someone saw me sit down. They didn't. I sat for way to long, when I decided to send my granddaughter to go ask a server for menus, but don't bother them if they're at a table, and be polite. She knows the drill. Long story short: I spent $35.00 for basically nothing. $10 for clams that were a tad over-cooked, and not served with real butter. What's up with that?? I ask the server, and she just shrugs. "Maybe because of the cost?" I looked at her as if she was an alien. Are you serious?? You charge $10. a dozen and you serve margarine blend? I ordered a rock fish sandwich. It came fish on a stale bun. Nothing else. NOTHING! I wasn't even asked if I wanted anything else on the sandwich. I love rock fish, but god help you if you over cook fish of any sort. The center of the fish was just about perfect, but 90% of the fish was over cooked and dry. I didn't eat those parts, and I had to pick out bones. Lots of bones. I'm not too upset normally about picking out bones....if I'm told that's to be expected. I wasn't. Nothing like a bite of fish and finding yourself with a mouth full of tooth picks. When my server came back around to clear the table, I told her: This is what was over cooked from my fish. She shrugs again and says, "OK". Ok what?? OK screw me?? The whole time I'm thinking, Well, there's always YELP to vent on. Funny girl that I am, I asked her if they had a tarragon mayo or even an aioli. She looked at me as if I spoke an alien language. I ordered Chicken fingers for the "Marine Biologist". She loves them, but wouldn't touch theirs. She didn't like them. I broke one open and I could see why. It wasn't cooked all the way through. The fries were over cooked in a fryer that needed to be cleaned and infused with clean oil. The baby loved them, but hey! he's only 12 mos. old, he drinks soy milk, sucks on a "binky", and thinks dry Cherrios are awesome. Helpful hint: Tables are dirty, so buy some of those baby plastic table mats that stick onto a table. They are awesome! ~

Favorite Dish: If I had eaten them, it would have been the crabs.

• Motorcycle
    • Sailing and Boating

The Virginia Grill: Cheap Eats

by zanzooni Written Nov 22, 2009

the gracious welcome sign

I love old historic buildings, and especially one's that house restaurants. The owner's also own the Occoquan Inn, which has a ghost, and is right next door. In the summer time or nice weather time, you can sit outside and eat on the river.

My daughter and I ate there last week, October 30th, 2009, for breakfast. Was it the best?? No. Was it inexpensive? Yes. For some reason, I like these old, quaint establishments. Lots of history and all. At least my eggs were poached almost right, and I got real butter. My daughter didn't fare so well with her choice of sausage gravy and biscuits. We actually were laughing...the biscuits were like clumps of dough. I kept sticking my fork into them and lifting them up in the air and bouncing them up and down. Needless to say, that meal was taken off the bill. I wonder what lunch would be like?? I also must add that J had been sick the entire week, and I didn't think it was a good idea for her to order sausage gravy and biscuits. She can't help herself sometimes. It was her first day of being able to eat and it looked so appealing on the menu.

Favorite Dish: Oh, I don't know. I guess the eggs where OK. I need to go back and do lunch out on the deck. I don't think they can f*ck up a sandwich to badly. I hope.

• Motorcycle

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Tim's Rivershore Restaurant & Crabhouse - Dumfries

by Ewingjr98 Written Jul 17, 2009
    Tim's

Tim's Rivershore Restaurant ... half the fun is getting there!

For game seven of the Stanley Cup finals, we decided to meet at a friend's house in the Dumfries/Woodbridge area to watch the game. I had heard of a great crabshack in the area called Tim's Rivershore, so I offered to find this restaurant and bring dinner.

We plugged the address into our Garmin Nuvi (named Jill), and off we went. Off of Highway 1 in Dumfries, we quickly hit a snag. New development, new roads, and a confused Jill. Finally she directed us down what looked to be an almost abandoned two lane road. It started to look more abandoned after we saw much of it had been washed out, and there was a huge pool of water covering 80 percent of the driving lanes. Then we saw the boat. A boat in the road? Yup! There was also a boat in the middle of the road, with a broken windshield and graffiti painted over the outside. Soon after that, the road turned into a dirt path with no place to turn around. No signs, no detour, nothing.

Luckily Laura had her blackberry. She pulled up the website for Tim's and, after we escaped from this abandoned road, we found our way onto the correct route (Tim's website does say, "Important: Due to recent construction, GPS navigation and online direction services may be inaccurate."). Even the correct route was interesting, quickly turning into a winding rural road that resembled my hometown in Western Pennsylvania or maybe West Virginia. Then we hit a set of railroad tracks down by the water where the road ended, and our only option was to turn left and take the trail that was squished up against the railroad tracks basically on the railroad right of way. We squeezed into the last parking space before realizing there is more parking across the railroad track, if you don't mind dodging trains.

We sat at the bar and ordered our dinner for four: a dozen hard shell crabs ($45), a pound of steamed shrimp ($16), two soft shell crab dinners with fries and hushpuppies ($15 each), and an order of onion rings to top it all off ($7), plus we had a few beers while we waited. Our bill was reasonable at about $120, and the food was excellent. The soft shell crabs were the best I ever had, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. The shrimp might have been slightly overcooked, but delicious. The large hard shell crabs were a little early in season, we heard the bartender tell another customer, but the meat was sweet and tender nonetheless.

Highly recommended.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Tim's Rivershore Restaurant & Crabhouse - Dumfries

by Ewingjr98 Written Jul 17, 2009
    Tim's

Tim's Rivershore Restaurant ... half the fun is getting there!

Highly recommended.

Madigan's Waterfront: Great views, nice interior

by zanzooni Updated Jun 11, 2009

Boats docked outside

This restaurant has been around for a bit. It used to be CC's if I recall correctly. The location, the view, the interior/exterior are awesome. Too bad they didn't know I was coming to visit. What a horrid experience, and the food was disgusting. I was so disappointed because I so wanted this to be the place for me and my family to come to as "our local hang out" Hopefully I can get my daughter to come back, Zilly won't be a problem, as she is not into food, but into the water and chasing the ducks around on the river from the docks. So as I am writing more about what to do and look at, as opposed to what to eat, you can feel my dilemma here. This place touts itself for doing seafood as their specialty. I vehemently disagree. They can NOT do seafood. Crab cakes are mine and my daughter's favs. We argue over who has the best crab cakes. Madigan's certainly is not even in the top 50. Filled with so much crumb filler, I had to pick out the minute crab meat just to satisfy my desire. They came out cooked the way I like them to look, but they do not taste the way I want them to taste. My daughter and I had the crab cake platter, which is market price, and comes with 2 crab cakes. I did not even eat 1/4th of one crab cake, that's how disgusted I was. I took the food home, but I assure you, I'm not going to eat it, and maybe the cat or dog will. The Service: Horrible. We were there for about 20 minutes before someone even bothered to see if we needed anything, and only after we both looked at him with pleading eyes. He said he'd get our server. Another wait. He came back and said he was looking for our server and worst case scenario, he'd wait on us. Oh, geez thanks. AND..why didn't the lazy hostess take care of this from the get-go?? Server shows up, I ask him quick questions in order to make a decision. He knows nothing and needs to "Go and Find out" Hmm...your restaurant serves seafood, and you don't know what's in the crab cakes? I gave him benefit of the doubt, thinking he was new, until I asked him if he was, and he replied with a big confident grin..."No." Really? How long have you worked here? "2 Months" he replies, again with the stupid grin. I say, "Then why don't you know anything about the food that you are serving??" You get the picture here. It took over an hour to get our food, "Big Stupid Grin": forgot to put in Zilly's order, the bread was served stale, and the second batch came out stale as well. He said that's the best that they could do. Our food was comped by an awesome manager who apologized profusely for this idiot and the lack of service and food quality, but she does think that their crab cakes are awesome. Maybe on the Occoquan, but not on the Potomac. We will return because of her, and hopefully next time it won't be like the first. It does look like the bar is the place to be, with bar food specials, and they do have the outside "Tiki Bar" as well, and the app.menu looks decent. We shall see.

Favorite Dish: So far, I don't have one other than the fried clams that I ate off Zilly's plate. They had just been fried up so they came out nice and hot. Again, way too much breading. Folks! Listen up here-you do not need a ton of breading! I'd rather eat a small clam that's hot and juicy, than a clam that looks big, but is not. I just got Zills recently to try clams. She loved their FF, and had me try one. Can't recall what it tasted like, but I shall trust her judgment here, as she is the queen of FF. My daughter said the mash potato's were good, and my grandson loved them as well as the crab meat I picked out for him out of my crab cake. As he's 10 mos.old, and loves "real people food" and hates baby food, you decide. He does eat trout though, and loves it.

• Festivals
    • Sailing and Boating

• The Virginia Grill: Out of Virginia Ham in Virginia

by blewis9919 Updated May 21, 2009

The restaurant looked like an authentic country inn. We stopped for breakfast. You couldn't order eggs unless you ordered meat. They were out of the advertised Virginia ham. They were also out of sausage, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, and Eggbeaters when they opened. The manager didn't charge us for our eggs, but why the heck were they even open?

We were really looking forward to real Virginia country ham!

Favorite Dish: None

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Belgique Gourmande: Belgian Food and Beer

by travelfrosch Updated Oct 16, 2006

Belgique Gourmande

This restaurant offers a good variety of Belgian cuisine with an impressive selection of Belgian beer. Sit inside the restaurant itself surrounded by various pieces of Belgian memorobilia, or, if it's a nice day, sit outside on the deck. Be aware that indoor seating is limited, so be sure to call ahead for reservations. The restaurant is normally open Thursday-Sunday from 5PM (again, call ahead to confirm it's open before you go).

Favorite Dish: You get a choice of soup or salad, a main dish, and a chance for dessert. I had carrot soup, then mussels and Frites (authentic twice-fried Belgian potatoes... YUM!), and a delicious Belgian chocolate mousse for dessert. One nit-pick: the soup and mussels were a bit too heavily seasoned with fennel. That aside, everything was delicious!

There is quite an array of Belgian beers available, but be warned the prices are very high (a 12-ounce (33 cl) bottle of Orval for $9.50 -- yikes!). You can mitigate that by getting the special Leffe beer on tap. Delicious and significantly less expensive.

• Beer Tasting

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Virginia Grill: Virginia Grill

by b1bob Updated Jun 15, 2006

Virginia Grill

Lee and I decided to eat at Virginia Grill, the less expensive part of the Occoquan Inn. You can't miss it: the tacky green building has purple shutters. You can get a good lunch for around $10, but supper is a little more expensive. The restaurant is located right on the main drag at the top of a flight of stairs. The ambience is colonial down to the sign on the loo door saying necessary for men. In colonial days, the necessary was the term we use now for the loo. There was only one thing wrong with the experience: the air conditioning wasn't working on that abnormally hot day. The service was as good as it could be and the food was fine. On Mondays, it is open from 11am-9pm; Tuesdays-Thursdays 7am-9pm; weekends 7am-9:30pm.

Favorite Dish: I had the grill burger which is seasoned ground beef grilled to order served on a sesame seed bun with tomatoes, lettuce, pickle, and Route 11 potato crisps on the side.

Instant Answers: Occoquan

Comments

Occoquan Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Occoquan restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Occoquan sightseeing.