Pulaski Travel Guide

PULASKI COUNTY COURTHOUSE
    HISTORIC DOWNTOWN, PULASKI

Pulaski Things to Do

by matcrazy1 Updated Oct 6, 2006

The Pulaski County Courthouse looks impressive and is heavily lit at night. Made of "Peak Creek Sandstone" edifice combines elements of the Romanesque and Queen Anne styles. This beautiful building was completed in 1896 but burned in 1989. The rebuilding was completed in December of 1992. There is the New River Heritage Exhibits, an historical museum which was surely closed at about 8 pm. The courthouse, as usual in the USA, is open to the public. There are also guided tours. Follow the link below for details.

I've seen stone arches at the front entrance. The information at place says that this native stone arch, built in 1907, was used as an entrance to the Pulaski County exhibit at the 1607-1907 Jamestown Exposition. When returned to Pulaski, it was erected here as a pernament entrance to the Pulaski County Courthouse, which was completed in 1896.

Driving around downtown Pulaski at about 8-9 pm I didn't see any open restaurant or pub. Instead I saw a few very beautiful historic buildings. But I didn't stop to take pictures of them. Why? Read my warning tip, please. Well, I would revisit Pulaski at day time just for architecture of its three historic districts. Look here and here.

PULASKI COUNTY COURTHOUSE, VIRGINIA PULASKI COUNTY COURTHOUSE, VIRGINIA PULASKI COUNTY COURTHOUSE, VIRGINIA PULASKI COUNTY COURTHOUSE, VIRGINIA PULASKI COUNTY COURTHOUSE, VIRGINIA
    • Architecture

Pulaski Hotels

Pulaski Transportation

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 19, 2007

Pulaski is about 5 hours southwest of Washington, DC, 4 hours west of Richmond, Virginia and one and half hour southwest of Natural Bridge I visited just before.

Pulaski is located in southwestern Virginia just off I-81. Take exit 94 to VA-99, the little historic downtown is over 3 miles away. I had to pass through ugly, industrial districts (run-down coal mines? zinc and iron were early industries in Pilsudski) which looked at night like a good background for horror movies. Downtown streets were completely empty at about 8-9 pm on business day, so both navigating and parking was very easy.

City of Pulaski is a Pulaski County seat in New River Valley. This is a part of geographical region of Virginia called Ridge and Valley. Well, I was a little bit lost driving along the Appalachian Mountains in western Virginia as I never knew on which side of the mountains I was at the moment. Well, these strange and very old mountains consist of numerous longitudinal ridges with valleys between. That's why they are called the Ridge-and-valley Appalachians. Look at the map here and follow the link below to see what I mean.

MY BUICK IN PULASKI HISTORIC DOWNTOWN

Pulaski Warnings and Dangers

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 19, 2007

Driving at night towards Pulaski downtown I passed through very ugly, industrial areas (zinc and iron were early industries in Pilsudski) which would be a great background for horror movies. Well, despite quite early time (8-9 pm is the beginning of day in say Andalousia, Spain :-) there was almost no traffic and Pulaski looked like a ghost town. Well, there are 4 VT-members living in Pulaski :-). Anyway, in unknown city at night, I had to think over personal safety.

Although I didn't know anything about crime rate in Pulaski but I felt a bit uncomfortable. I decided not to drive to other historic districts than downtown where I saw twice or three times single men walking along streets. I didn't walk far away from my car and I was, how to say, more careful than usual.

As a teeenager I was fed with Hollywood movies specifically chosen by communist censorship to show us the black side of the main enemy that was the USA. Haha, if I believed in all those terrible crimes commited on US streets day and night, I would never visit the USA. Driving over 18,000 miles through 20 states including many off the beaten paths I've seen unpleasant and probably dangerous district only once (when I got lost in Los Angeles, California), luckily at daytime.

PULASKI GHOST DOWNTOWN
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Pulaski

Comments

Pulaski Travel Guide
Map of Pulaski