Flora and Fauna, Richmond

Know about this? Rate It!

THIS ONE LUCKILY STOPPED :-)
    by matcrazy1
    STONE DOG
    by matcrazy1
  • matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Common Downtown Richmond animals

by matcrazy1 Updated Nov 21, 2004

THIS  ONE  LUCKILY STOPPED :-)

Nat was very surprised when I started to take pictures of squirrels running fast on the Capitol Square in the downtown of Richmond. Well, I had to explain him that squirrels were not common animals in cities of my country especially downtown. And our, European squirrels, are more red than grey in colour.

For me their presence is evidence of clean and safe environment for animals (although some give their all as they try to cross Broad Street), not so easy to find in many cities of Poland. That's why I was always surprised to see many squirrels (more than human beings :-) in parks located in dowtowns of many cities in the South.

THE PURPLE SQUIRREL OF CAPITOL SQUARE
    Nat (b1bob) told me the following story:
    Way back before modern copy machines, most offices used mimeograph sheets which are purple. They were only good for one use and they were tossed in the rubbish. Well, you know how squirrels like to forage through the rubbish to get what kind of food they can get or things to furnish their nests. This one squirrel lined his nest with that used purple mimeograph paper and, from sitting in it, it turned his fur purple. The purple squirrel of Capitol Square caused quite a stir among Capitol employees. At first, their bosses thought too many of them had liquid lunches if you know what I mean until they figured it out.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Dogs of Richmond

by matcrazy1 Updated Mar 3, 2005

STONE  DOG

I saw a few, quite pretty dogs in Richmond but nothing compare to... that stone dog on my picture. He was alone, kept the basket with a pot in his mouth and welcomed to one of the houses on Monument Avenue. Hmm... later on during my Southern trip I saw similar dogs in front of quite many houses.

• Hiking and Walking