3rd Street Diner, Richmond

2.5 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

218 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23219 (804) 788-4750

• feta, tomato, pepper omelet w/ toast & hash browns
    feta, tomato, pepper omelet w/ toast &...
    inside the diner
    3rd Street Diner
  • ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

3rd Street Diner: 24 hours? Why were there locks?

by ATXtraveler Written Dec 15, 2007

3rd Street Diner, Richmond, VA

The best way to enjoy a day of exploring a city is to make sure you have a good healthy breakfast. This will ensure that you have enough calories to burn through when those excruciating walks up the hills of Richmond start beating you down.

Nat (B1Bob) and I decided to give the 3rd Street Diner a shot for our morning fuel. After all, anything that is located on 3rd and Main, must be good... right?

Well, I knew we were off to a bad start when we get to the door of this famous 24 hour diner, and it is locked. Hmm... maybe it is shift change, maybe there was recently a robbery... many things may explain the reason to keep the door closed to patrons. After a few moments we notice what appears to be the manager sitting in the restaurant talking on the phone. Patiently, a first door knock occurs. As we watch the lady, no movement. A second knock... acknowledgment, no action. At this point we begin the movement away, and another young lady comes up to the door, and knocks a third time. Finally the waitress/manager comes, phone on head, and opens the door begrudgingly. Supposedly, a waitress did not show up this morning, and yet instead of letting us sit in the restaurant, we were forced to make sure all the paint was drying properly on the outside.

After our bad start, we sit down and survey the menu. Nothing sticks out to me, but we go with a traditional plate of American Breakfast favorites. A typical egg omelette for me, with some hash browns and a cup of coffee. I also ask for a bottle of Tabasco or some other form of hot sauce, which comes when my meal is nearly completed. On a scale of one to delicious this mean received a resounding, won't be back.

We even had a bit of trouble on the way out paying for the meal, as an itemized receipt seemed very difficult to receive! Altogether, I would recommend trying any other diner in the greater Richmond Area... as this one receives the old Pass! from me.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

3rd Street Diner: diner food with attitude

by b1bob Updated Sep 26, 2007

3rd Street Diner

The Third Street Diner is a Richmond institution for almost 30 years. The ambiance is of a diner that picked up where a retail store had left off given the elevated metal ceilings. Mark and I came here at 10 a.m. to take a late breakfast before beginning our second day of touring Richmond. I had understood this was a 24-hour restaurant, but we found the doors locked. The owner made us wait five minutes, griping about how short-staffed she was. That may have been, but she should not have taken that out on the customers. That left a bad taste in our mouth right out of the chute. Also, at the end of the meal, the cheque did not reflect that they charged 75¢ for each flavour added to our omelet. That was no problem, but the lady rudely pointed out how printing out such details would cost her more in paper and ink. Mark was rightly worried that putting this on his expense account, some corporate bean counter would question the $6 discrepancy and the owner was short with Mark. Our service was quick and professional, but not overly attentive. The sad thing is, this could have been a good dining experience, but it goes to show how the attitude of the folks who work there can spoil a good time.

Favorite Dish: I had the omelet with feta cheese, tomatoes, and peppers which came with hash browns and white toast. The omelet was very good. The tomatoes and peppers went well with the feta cheese. I prefer my hash browns plain with the option to add a little salt and pepper at the table. These came with garlic, seasoned salt, and too much pepper. The toast and jelly were good except she put too much butter on the toast.

en español, em português

Instant Answers: Richmond

Comments

Hotels Near 3rd Street Diner
4.0 out of 5 stars