Athens Tavern, Richmond

by b1bob
  • Athens Tavern
    by gipper84
  • b1bob's Profile Photo

Athens Tavern: Still more Greek, anyone?

by b1bob Updated Jun 19, 2006

Athens Tavern

Athens Tavern is a secluded, hole-in-the-wall type of restaurant in Richmond's Fan District (a Bohemian part of town, rather like Charlotte's NoDa, only bigger). It is on North Robinson Street a couple of blocks off Monument Avenue. The lighting in there was so poor outside based on the time of day and inside because of the dim lighting. When my friend Lee and I ate here, the waitress put a lighted candle on the table, to which I replied, "No thanks, we're just friends." I didn't see it, but Lee told me the look on her face was priceless. That night, it started out slow as Lee and I were only the second party. Between the time we ordered and the time our food arrived, guests started rolling in like oranges and there was only one waitress on duty who earned every tip she got. As far as ambience is concerned, the only problem I had was the dim lighting. I thought the included picture would never come out well, but on further review, it did. There were Christmas-type lights in the colours of the Greek flag (blue and white, for my friends in Roxboro), and Greek music playing softly over the loud speaker.

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken souvlaki which normally comes with a side and a salad. The side I ordered was dolmades (stuffed grape leaves, for those from Roxboro) and, instead of the Greek salad, I had more dolmades. I love those things. I had Lee try one, but that is the one culinary point on which we do not agree. My chicken souvlaki cost a little more, but in terms of filling up, Lee got more bang for his buck.

• gipper84's Profile Photo

Athens Tavern: A night without the candle

by gipper84 Written Jun 19, 2005

Athen's Tavern is a very unique restaurant in the heart of Richmond's fan district. This area around the restaurant is kind of dodgy, but don't let that run you off, quite yet. Have you ever heard the phrase diamond in the rough; well that is exactly what Athen's Tavern was. The moment I walked in I could tell this was a nice restaurant. The atmosphere was quite greek, with soothing greek music playing in the background, and a very dimly lit dining area. It almost reminded me of somewhere I would find my girlfriend and me at for one of our wonderful anniversaries. However, even without Jessi I was stuck with one of my best friends, none other than B1bob. Nat and I thoroughly enjoyed the service, even though the waitress offered to light our candle. Nat responded with a quick, "No! We are just friends," and of course I busted out laughing. The look on the waitresses face would have buried Nat about 12 feet under the restaurant. After that entertaining event we were served our supper. I had pastichio, which is a greek form of Italian lasagne. It was extremely delicious, and my mouth was just watering watching the waitress bring it to the table. I dug in quick and fortunately ordered a better sized meal than Mr. B1bob. Poor Nat got a small portion of Chicken Kebob, and I could hear his stomach groan as he watched me finish off my pastichio. Besides the food, the waitress was extremely nice, and the food arrived in ample time. Overall I was very pleased and enjoyed the night with a great friend.

Instant Answers: Richmond

Comments

Hotels Near Athens Tavern
3.0 out of 5 stars