Dunn's Bar-B-Que, Richmond

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Dunn's Bar-B-Que: Home Cooking Since 1935

by b1bob Updated Jun 11, 2010

Dunn's Bar-B-Que

In a time of constant change, some things remain constant. Dunn's Bar-B-Q has been at that very slot since 1935. The key word describing this restaurant is no frills. The restaurant is strictly takeaway with a window where customers place their orders and sit on a long wooden bench to wait for them to be filled. If you're one of those food snobs who demands atmosphere, Dunn's isn't for you and they'll never change.

Favorite Dish: Whatever you do, don't order the barbecue. The barbecue is tomato-based rubbish and cooked too fast. Real barbecue is cooked slow and not slathered in (too sweet) tomato sauce. I hadn't been to Dunn's in awhile before I brought my friends from Poland here on the way downtown to tour. This was their first impression of barbecue on their tour of the American South. Fortunately, I was able to take them to Extra Billy's at the end of their trip. Of their other offerings, I like their fried chicken livers best, but I can cook them just as well at home.

• Dunn's Bar-b-que: Wish I lived closer.

by NCSRFSH Written Jun 29, 2009

Got tired of waiting at Wendy's. Went across the street to Burger King and saw Dunn's next door. Just had that "look". Best choice I could have made. Got a sml diced chicken swich and hush puppy's. Hush puppy's were a little heavy, but still good. The chicken was very good. Less than $5. I wish I had known about the limeaid, I would have tried it. I was here for the Indy car race. When I come back next year, Dunn's will be my first stop.

• Dunn's BBQ: Good Food. Memories. Good Times.

by luckyshamrock Written Jul 4, 2008

As a Richmond Native I have been going to Dunn's ever since I can remember. Sitting in the back of a car with my parents at the tender age of 4, eating krinkle fries and a yummy cheeseburger. My Mom always enjoy's the navybean soup. The lime-aid is out of this world. Even now, 21 years later I still dream of the personal drive in service. If you are ever in the area don't miss out on this one.

Favorite Dish: Cheeseburgers:simple and divine
    Krinkle Fries:old fashioned goodness
    NavyBean Soup:rare treat
    Limeaid:yummy

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Dunn's Bar-B-Que: Home cooking since 1935

by matcrazy1 Updated Nov 20, 2004

DUNN'S  BAR-B-QUE

Just after our arrival to Mechanicsville, Nat (b1bob) invited my wife and me to this restaurant which was located on our way to Richmond's downtown (clickable map here).

We were surprised that it was strictly takeaway restaurant. There was very small room with a window to order dishes. Nat told us that it's a very traditional restaurant which will never change. I noticed that the place was very popular among natives.

It took us some time to choose food which was different than we used to eat in Poland. Well, for us visitors, it's always difficult to choose food we never tasted before. Additionally I am not the best in English names of dishes but I learned a lot during my trip.

Favorite Dish: We 3 had the same thing: larged minced pork sandwich and a medium limeade. Their menu (read here) offers a wide selection of Southern dishes and soft drinks. Try their hot sandwiches or plates with beef or pork and get the limeade to drink.

Instant Answers: Richmond

Comments

Hotels Near Dunn's Bar-B-Que
4.0 out of 5 stars