Ipanema Grill, Richmond

5 out of 5 stars 3 Reviews

12379 Gayton Road, Richmond, VA 23233 (804) 740-9083

Ipanema Grill (new location)
    by b1bob
  • Ipanema Grill
    by wilinski1
  • Ipanema Grill
    by wilinski1
  • b1bob's Profile Photo

Ipanema Grill: Ipanema Grill Brazilian Churrascaria

by b1bob Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ipanema Grill (new location)

Ipanema Grill has a certain Brazilian atmosphere, a mural of a Rio de Janeiro cityscape, but it is not overdone. Like the Churrascaria Galope in Petrópolis, Brazil, it is a continuous service (rodizio) restaurant. For one set price you can choose any or all of the offered side dishes and a huge salad bar. At a churrascaria, customers turn a card- green if you want more meat, red if you've had enough- and the wait staff comes by from time to time and cuts various types of meat onto your plate until you turn the card over to red. They start with the less expensive cuts of meat and the cuts get steadily more expensive. This is a shrewd business practice because many folks will fill up before they get to the pricey stuff. The wait staff was friendly as was the owner- the whole lot are Brazilian. My parents took me here right after my birthday in 2003. I ordered in Portuguese and it really impressed everybody, including the owner. I went again in August, 2005 to make good on a promise to take gipper84 out for his birthday. The wait staff remembered me from the previous time.

Favorite Dish: I had Brazilian black beans and rice, fried yucca, many different types of vegetables (including green beans, lettuce, tomatoes, hearts of palms, feijoada [black beans, rice, and meat] and coyote squash among other things). I knew this restaurant was really Brazilian when they offered guaraná (a Brazilian soft drink) on the menu. For the first round, I had Brazilian sausage, chicken wrapped in bacon, and lamb. After supper, I had a cafezinho (demi-tasse of Brazilian coffee for my friends in Roxboro). Lee and I held out for the more pricey cuts by taking a little of the first cuts and skipping some we liked least. He liked this casserole with hearts of palm and shrimp. Both entities are great when not drowned in sauce. He had chocolate mousse for dessert. This restaurant is not cheap, but it's worth it for a special occasion like a good friend's birthday. closed Mondays.

• gipper84's Profile Photo

Ipanema Grill: Brazilian barbecue house

by gipper84 Written Sep 25, 2006

Ipanema Grill

Nat took me here for my 21st birthday in August, 2005. He has always loved everything about Brazil and said, “Lee, you have to try this food.” It smelled good when we walked in. The type of food service is called rodizio which means it keeps coming and coming until you say stop. We had something like this in Cancún, but it wasn’t quite as authentic. Ipanema Grill is owned and staffed by native Brazilians and Nat spoke to them in Portuguese.

Favorite Dish: There is really only one thing on the menu: rodizio service of different cuts of meat. There was a hot and cold food bar where you could get rice, black beans, and all kinds of Brazilian fruits and vegetables. Knowing Nat, I was already familiar with the Brazilian guaraná soft drink, so I had that with all those cuts of meat. I even had a chocolate mousse for dessert. This was a great meal!

• Ipanema Grill: Excelent Brazilian Food

by wilinski1 Updated Mar 5, 2009

Ipanema's new location is fantastic! When we first arrived we were a little sceptic at first because there was no menu, but then as we started trying the food it was AMAZING. The abience is modern and very positive. We especially liked the freshness of the all the salads and the atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: There were so many varieties to choose from and we liked them all. It's hard to point one favorite meat. Sirloin, topo sirloin, beff ribs, lamb....my favorite still the top sirloin! Ooh, the roasted pinneaple was amazing.

Instant Answers: Richmond