Papa Ningo, Richmond

colourful decor inside
    by b1bob
  • Papa Ningo: Genuine Dominican Food

by silver3 Written Aug 16, 2008

Found Papa Ningo Restaurant by mistake. I got lost trying to find another restaurant and ended up finding a restaurant that I now have started be a regular. I live in Chester, VA and I drive up there just for their food. The people are always happy and friendly! The place is a happy and exciting place. The food is excellent and well displayed.

Favorite Dish: I don't have a favorite dish since ever time I go there, I order something new. I want to try everything they have in their menu. Once I accomplish that, I'll be able to tell you which dish is my favorite but until then...I'll see you there!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Papa Ningo: Dominican Cuisine

by ATXtraveler Written Dec 15, 2007

Papa Ningo Richmond

After a long day of sightseeing, B1Bob and I were a little famished. After all, walking around the downtown area of Richmond can be strenuous for a young senior citizen like Nat. As we walked through a couple stalls from the open air market, we decided to head over to Papa Ningo's, which is a Dominican based restaurant. Nat had the opportunity to converse in his secondary language of Spanish, and we had a delightful meal.

I chose the Mofongo, primarilly for its name, but also because it looked to be something that I could not experience at other places in the future. It was a delicious mixture of Shrimp, bread, and plantains. It was also served in a unique wooden chalice, which made it very easy to scoop out one bite at a time.

The food was excellent, and the service was attentive, however I did not give this as good of a review as possible due to the extremely loud noise of the televisions. I did not expect the TV to be so extremely loud with Dominican soap operas, and it really did not lead to a great ambiance. Luckily the food and friends made up for the loud noises.

One other nice advantage to this particular restaurant is that it is a member of Rewards Network (as of Dec. 2007), which means while we were dining, I was earning 10 miles per dollar spent!

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Papa Ningo: Would you believe, Dominican?

by b1bob Updated Sep 29, 2007

Papa Ningo

I discovered Papa Ningo at the Shockoe Tomato Festival on 22 July. The trouble was, I was at a campaign event and didn't have time to stop in until a week later. I was drawn to the colourful decor on the outside and the inside. On taking a look at the menu, it looked and smelled like my kind of place to eat. I would have taken gipper84 here the following night, but they're closed on Sundays. (Don't worry, Leopold, we'll go one night!) A longtime friend of mine, Tim Enright, came into town after a year's tour at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, he was up to try a new cuisine, and it was my turn to buy. Like me, Tim was impressed by the decor. The service was as attentive and quick as it could be. To the extent the food was slow to arrive, you can't rush good cooking in any cuisine. If you want fast food, go to McDonald's. The waitress and the owner, both Dominicans, came out to talk to Tim and me and I was talking in Spanish. The menu not only offered Dominican treats, but that extended to their non-alcoholic beverages too. The aromas coming from the kitchen made Tim and me feel like we were in the Dominican Republic. There were a couple of tables for outdoor dining. We might have taken those if it hadn't been so hot. The only minor beef we had with this restaurant was that the tables were placed too close together and the seats weren't as comfortable as they could be. Hours- Monday-Thursday: 10:30am-8pm; Friday-Staturday: 10:30am-2am; Sunday: Closed!

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken breast with peppers and onions. Tim had the chicken breast with a creamy mushroom sauce. We both had yellow rice and red beans on the side. I had coconut soda to drink and Tim had the lemonade. The chicken was tender and the onions and peppers were cooked just right. The coconut soft drink added to the authenticity. Tim also knows what he likes in terms of restaurants and even he was impressed. Mark and I also ended up here several months later. This time I had the pollo al ajillo (garlic chicken, for those from Roxboro). I liked it better than what I had before. Mark was also impressed with what he had. Papa Ningo comes highly recommended!

en español, em português