Richbrau, Richmond

by grandmaR
  • Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Richbrau - Shockoe Slip

by Ewingjr98 Updated Feb 9, 2009

Richbrau is Richmond's first microbrewery and one of the core establishments of the famous Shockoe Slip area. It features microbrewed beers of course, but it also has a dance club called Club Richbrau, a billiards pub, and a great menu in the restaurants. The same company also runs the somewhat upscale Tap House Grill next door.

Their lunch menu has the usual burgers and sandwiches, but also some unique creations like the duck burrito, quiche, and the barbecued chicken focaccia pizza; most items are under $10. The dinner menu is a little more expensive, with prices topping out around $25, and offering such unusual items as duck and alligator sausage and their duck burrito alongside more traditional steaks, burgers, and fish & chips. They also offer a simple pub menu with burgers, sandwiches, fish and chips, and more, in the main dining area, the first floor pub, the second floor billiards pub, and Club Richbrau.

It has been awhile since I stopped in, but I if I remember right, I had their fresh trout that was very tasty.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Richbrau Brewing Company: Brew Pub

by grandmaR Updated May 19, 2007

We ate at a very nice restaurant that was a microbrewery and brewed their own beers. I didn't have any, but the folks I was with tried several different one.

We ate in the downstairs dining room which is open from 11:30 to 10 pm. My dinner in 1997 was $12.87

I took pictures of the beer brewing machinery as examples of Confined Spaces.

Favorite Dish: On their menu is

Herb Stuffed Chicken Breast $17.95
    Baby spinach, fresh basil, and ham create a delicious
    stuffing in a fresh boneless chicken breast.
    Topped with a roasted red pepper cream sauce.

Applewood Roasted Chicken $17.50
    We slow roast a half chicken after marinating in
    a flavorful combination of Richbrau Porter beer,
    apple cider, brown sugar, whole peppercorns,
    bay leaves and a touch of cinnamon.

Fresh Ahi Tuna Steak $16.95
    Pan-seared and topped with an orange cilantro glaze.

Grilled Atlantic Salmon $17.95
    Fresh Atlantic salmon grilled to medium and
    topped with a brown sugar and mustard glaze.

Mixed Grill of Sausages $14.95
    We offer an array of sausages that change daily.
    Check with your server for today’s mix of sausage.

New York Strip Steak $21.00
    Certified Black Angus, center cut strip steak
    grilled to your preferred temperature and topped
    with black pepper and mango chutney.

Rib Eye Steak with Cabernet Butter $21.50
    Certified Black Angus, fresh cut rib eye steak
    grilled to your preferred temperature and topped
    with a cabernet shallot butter.

Looking up Part of the brewing machinery
    • Business Travel
    • Beer Tasting

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Richbrau: Richmond's First Brew Pub

by b1bob Updated Jun 19, 2006

Normally, you would think a brew pub would have special emphasis on the brew and the food would be an afterthought. Not Richbrau. They have a full-service restaurant with a wide ranging menu, even at lunch. The atmosphere is cozy without being confining and the service was first rate.

Favorite Dish: I had the barbecue duck burrito which is a maple leaf duck slowly simmered in barbecue sauce topped with black beans, Monterey Jack, cheddar cheese, onions, and peppers wrapped in a soft flour tortilla. It didn't indicate on the menu that it was garnished with sour cream (which I don't like), but I should have guessed that Southwestern and Mexican food would have it. Friends and neighbours, I am told that real Mexican food doesn't feature sour cream. In fact, most Spanish-English dictionaries don't have a translation for it. That was my fault. The only problem I really had was that the barbecue sauce was so pervasive that it drowned the duck.

Richbrau duck burrito with red, white, and blue chips
    • Beer Tasting

• upesnlwc's Profile Photo

Richbrau: Great place for lunch

by upesnlwc Written Feb 16, 2006

Richbrau Brewery, with exposed brick and 1800's woodwork is a great place, day or night. Whether you fancy a quick bite, a full dinner, or simply a drink of one of their signiture beers made onsite.

Richbrau is another one of those restaurants on Cary Street that has a very unique dining experience, which changes with the area in which you sit and what menu you want to order from.

The main dining area and first floor pub serve a full range of dishes from Steak, or Pasta to Seafood, Salads and gourmet soups. If you're looking for something a little less fancy, check out the pub menu which serves up favorites like burgers, sandwiches, and finger food appetizers. A third option is the new addtion to Richbrau called the Taphouse Grille. This more upscale eatery features "gourmet comfort foods" including Shrip and Cheese Grits, Cowboy Steaks, Seared Salmon, and a New Orleans Gumbo.

If you don't feel like eating at a table, there are about 20 billiards tables, and several dart lanes upstairs. **SEE NIGHTLIFE TIP re Richbrau**

Favorite Dish: Lunch: Pub Menu
    Richbrau Club

Dinner -- Taphouse Grille:
    Beer Cheese Dip
    and
    12oz New York Strip Steak (medium)

• gipper84's Profile Photo

Richbrau: Richbrau

by gipper84 Written Jun 28, 2005

Richbrau came about almost by chance. Nat and I were down in Richmond taking photos and had planned on eating in the West End, but I happened to stumble upon this restaurant and boy was it good. The original feeling I got when I walked in was really good. I thought the restaurant looked great considering the remodeling that had taken place. It used to be an old tobacco warehouse which was converted into a restaurant. Its neat because the roof still has old steel water pipes which gives it an original and traditional feeling. The eating area is really nice, and would be good for a nice fine dining experience. Nat and I had lunch there, and I ordered chili in a sourdoug bread bowl which was real interesting because I had never had that before. For the main entree I had stuffed chicken with spinach and ham. It was really good, because the ham and spinach just added the right taste to the chicken which was topped with a cream broth sauce. The only thing I didn't like was the corn which was kinda dry. It lacked butter and some salt and pepper. All around though the food was excellent. The waitress was also very kind. She was quick on the service and checked up with Nat and I every so often to make sure we were doin'g okay, I liked her alot and Nat and I both agreed she was appealing to the eye. It was also funny because when she brought the chili she brought 2 spoons which I quickly disposed of. Overall the experience was fun considering the almost chance of us winding up there, and considering we hadn't done much research on the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed the chicken and the chili. I just wish I had room for dessert because their triple chocolate cake looked really good.

Instant Answers: Richmond