Tan-A Supermarket, Richmond

6221 W. Broad St., Richmond, VA 23230 (804) 285-3569

Know about this? Rate It!

Tan-a Supermarket
    by b1bob
  • Tan-A Supermarket: Go with cash only

by Lullu Written Apr 13, 2013

Sells a variety of Asia groceries, impressed with what they carry but not happy with the service. No one could help me find sweet soy sauce and then another customer actually showed me where it was. The store smells and the fish has flies hovering over it! This store take cash only, which I only found out when I the lady rang me up. I would go back as I'm quite sure other customers who need ethnic ingredients, would do so as well, but were another store with such a vast variety then I would never go back!

What to pay: Not much, reasonable

• Tan-A Supermarket: Horrible Customer Service and Rotten Meat

by westend Written Feb 18, 2012

Tan A - on West Broad Street - Asian Grocery Store

What to buy: Don't buy any meat, fish or produce from this store. I'm surprised that the Health Inspectors haven't shut this place down. Disgustingly filthy. The Chinese owners and staff are incredibly rude and snobbish!

What to pay: Save your money - do not patronize this store

• Tan-A Supermarket: Great Asian food

by James_Shelton32 Updated Mar 3, 2011

I eat Springrolls there everyweek. there great and so is all the other ready to eat food and fruits and veggies. I have occasionally eaten fish. i have made my own Tom Kha from their fresh ingredients. I have made my own spring rolls and my sisters family has too. I used to often drink thier asian sodas. I also but a mortar and pedstal there. A huge variety of almost all asian food from sushi Nori to hundered year old eggs on New Years.

What to buy: Spring Rolls
    Ready to Eat food
    Hundered year old Eggs
    All maner of Noodles and Tea.
    All manner of Asian Suaces from Great Fish Sauce to peppery spices.
    See Weed Seasonings and Bonita for Japanese Soups.

What to pay: Not to expensive at all.

• Tan-A Supermarket: employees gone bad

by Asianfab Updated Feb 14, 2011

What an awful experienced!!! Employees were very rude and no sense of good quality service. My husband saw this market and we spent almost an hour there. Finally, we were ready to pay. Yes, they only accept credit cards. JUST CASH OR CHECK ONLY PLEASE! They had the sign posted inside where you can easy miss it. The lady didn't mentiion it so she finished ringing all the stuffs we bought. Ok no problem, got my personal check out and signed it. There the lady won't accept it again because I don't live in Va. I live in Maryland! Got it!!! So here's my problem. My husband is in the United Stated Navy, meaning we move a lot. I felt like this business-like is cruel. My check is legit and we were turned down twice. Just want to say that my husband should have the right to practice our rights and freedom along with all of us especially here inside the US. People in the military should NOT have a probem to use our personal checks anywhere in the United States land! It's NOt fair but no matter what my family think of your safety...

• Tan-A Supermarket: old food and bad customer service

by himawari17 Written Aug 1, 2008

You have to be very careful when you buy any food at Tan-A. They sell expired food. Some food, they don't even have expiration date (so you will wonder how old this food is.) Customer service does not exist. For Japanese food, I recommend Tokyo Market in Cary Town. It is a small store but they have plenty Japanese food and sweets. They also sell beautiful Japanese dishes/plates/rice bowls/tea sets, etc. Excellent customer service.

• Tan-A Supermarket: Tan-A is A-Okay - ignore the fish-man's whine

by RogerD55 Written Jan 19, 2008

Tan-A Oriental Supermarket is conveniently located on West Broad Street close to the West Broad I-64 exit. They have virtiually every ingredient you could want to cook any kind of Oriental food. They also have easy-fix prepared foods, and other ethnicity foods as well. We love their fresh meat, fish and other fresh ingredients hard or impossible to obtain elsewhere. A friend of mine said it was "a Museum of Food" - a place just to walk the aisles and marvel at the variety, reading labels, deciding whether to give something unique and new a try. Clean, well-lit, spacious. GO THERE! We come all the way from Fredericksburg, VA to shope at Tan-A.

What to buy: All kinds of food items, fresh, canned, packaged, you-name-it!

What to pay: Less than you expect! VERY economical shopping.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Tan-A Supermarket: Pan-Asian Supermarket

by b1bob Updated Sep 25, 2006

Tan-a Supermarket

All manner of Asian foods are sold here. It caters more to the Chinese community, but if you want to make Thai, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, or other types of Oriental food, Tan-A is the place for you.

What to buy: The last time I was there, I got some rice noodles, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, drunken chicken marinade, and tapioca flour.

• Tan-A Supermarket: Awesome choices and low prices at Tan-a

by patrickrriley Updated Sep 25, 2006

At Tan-a Supermarket you have so many choices in Asian food, clothing, gifts and fresh meat and fish. More choices in one location makes it hard to beat. It is like one stop shopping where the best cost less.

What to buy: Fresh Fish, fresh meat including Goat, rabbit and duck. Also any Asian cuisine desirable from Thai to Japannesse to Indian even a huge Vegitarian selection. You can also buy fresh Orchids, Asian dishes and pottery, Tea sets, Asian Religious Relics, and Asian natural Medicines. It is like an Asian Walmart with friendlier people.

What to pay: Do not expext to pay much because their prices beat everyone in town. Just remember to bring your checkbook or cash because credit cards are not excepted.

• Study Abroad

• Tan-A Supermarket: Please dont buy fish or meat from Tan-A!!!

by cindyjones Written Apr 11, 2006

This is to inform that i had a severe stomach ailment after consuming the fish at Tan-A.
    I would like to bring this to the notification of health authorities that Tan-A sells fish that is completely rotten. The meat sold there is old too.
    The sales people are very rude!!!

Instant Answers: Richmond