Highways and Byways, Richmond

Know about this? Rate It!

• DEFINETELY  DRIVEN  BY  REPUBLICAN  WOMAN
    DEFINETELY DRIVEN BY REPUBLICAN ...
    TRAFFIC IN DOWNTOWN JUST AFTER 4PM
    MECHANICSVILLE TURNPIKE

Mechanicsville Turnpike

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

MECHANICSVILLE  TURNPIKE

Mechanicsville Turnpike (US-360) is the main road which goes northeast of downtown Richmond. It crosses I-64 (exit 192), reaches Mechanicsville where it crosses I-295 and goes futher east to Warsaw (haha, it is not the capitol of Poland) and Chesapeake Bay of the Atlantic Ocean. It was multi-lane quite busy highway with numerous traffic lights and... no traffic jams when I drove there.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Watch a car ahead but...

by matcrazy1 Written Dec 1, 2004

DEFINETELY  DRIVEN  BY  REPUBLICAN  WOMAN

Whenever you drive on a busy highway or freeway watch a car ahead at your lane. But be careful... in Richmond area right many cars had interesting writings on back bump sticker. Look at this one on my picture. Do not stare at them while driving.

Traffic and rush hours

by matcrazy1 Updated Nov 21, 2004

TRAFFIC  IN  DOWNTOWN  JUST  AFTER  4PM

I found driving around Richmond's downtown easy, even very easy. Well, I had the best navigator I could imagine, Nat (b1bob).

Main streets were wide, multi-lane. There were no one-way streets or I didn't find any. I skipped rush hours (7.00 - 9.00 am and 4.00 - 6.00 pm). But, look at the main street (Broad Street), on my picture taken just after 4.00 pm on a business day. It doesn't look so bad, right?

In Richmond, like in most US cities and different to many European cities, freeways pass through downtown. Keep in mind that natives use freeways (I-95, I-195, I-295 and I-64) to commute. So, you should expect heavy traffic close to freeway's exits and on freeways at rush hours. Add possibility of closed lanes because of accidents esp. at bad weather. If possible, avoid driving to Richmond's dowtown in the morning and back during the afternoon's rush hour. Anyway, follow the traffic. Driving other roads than freeways for longer distances takes ages because of numerous traffic lights.

Check current road conditions in Richmond area here or look at the traffic on webcams put along I-95 here.

Instant Answers: Richmond