Lack of time, Richmond
We arrived in Richmond in the early afternoon. It was a quarter past 4 pm (look at my picture) when we finished our visit to the Museum of the Confederacy. It was too late to visit anything more in the way of museums (they close at 4.00 and 5.00 pm). Capitol tours ended at 4.00 pm. We did have enough time for quite a long walk along Monument Avenue and see the Jefferson Hotel.
If you want to visit more points of interest (follow the link below) take more time. I mean at least one full day.
I believe I will revisit Richmond (and surely meet Nat there) in a few years and I will try to...
1. take less luggage with me :-),
2. improve my spoken English (and my budget :-),
3. reserve at least 3-4 days for Richmond and one or half-day trips around,
4. visit (list stay open, any more suggestions?):
- renovated Virginia State Capitol,
- Canal Walk and Richmond National Battlefield Park Civil War Visitor Center,
- historical houses like John Marshall House, Maymont, Virginia House, Wilton House, Maggie L. Walker House,
- Edgar Allan Poe Museum (I was very surprised: one of friends in Poland asked me whether I visited it),
- Valentine Museum,
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts,
- Chimborazo Medical Museum,
- Virginia's Executive Mansion (hopefully open each day under new governor),
- Agecroft Hall,
- Hollywood Cemetery,
- Saint John's Episcopal Church (and hear there Patrick Henry's "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" speech).
5. walk along Monument Avenue with Nat (again) and visit American Historical Foundation Museum
6. do some shopping (local wines, CDs with southern country music)
7. eat more southern food incl. Krispy Kreme dougnouts (again)
8. Visit more in Virginia:
- Jamestown and Yorktown,
- the cities of Tidewater (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Newport News, and Hampton),
- Smithfield - home of the famous hams,
- eat at Virginia Diner in Wakefield,
- see more of Southside Virginia,
- tour the campus of George Mason University (Fairfax),
- see the Newseum (Arlington),
- shop at Pentagon City and the shops at Crystal City (Arlington).
Uff, enough for now, two wesks needed, I see :-).