Know about this?
The meals tax
When you dine in Richmond make sure you bring a few extra bucks for the dreaded meals tax. Richmond is the only place in the metro area which includes Henrico, Hanover, and Chesterfield that has a meals tax. Luckily the darn thing failed in Mechanicsville thanks to the effort of people like B1Bob and myself. B1Bob even told one of our local politicians who was supporting the tax to shove it. It was hilarious. Anyways, the meals tax is usually a few bucks. For example at Buzz and Ned's the total bill was $20 dollars, 2 of which was from the meals tax, and that doesn't include the regular sales tax.
The meal and hotel tax
There is a common local saying: "Noone's money or property is safe whilst the Richmond City Council is in session." In case you didn't believe it, they are imposing a 1% rise in the meals tax (to support a downtown performing arts centre). If that's not enough to curdle your cream, they are proposing a similar lodging tax rise. Not to worry, folks, it is easy to boycott Richmond hotels and restaurants. The surrounding counties of Henrico, Chesterfield, and Hanover either don't have meals or lodging taxes or theirs aren't as high, despite Richmond's efforts to get us to impose a tax rise here (it won't happen because the counties are much more conservative than the city). I know my own Hanover County has no meals or lodging tax full stop. Mechanicsville, 6 miles (10 km.) to the northeast of Richmond, has quite a lot of good restaurants (just stay away from Mulligan's and Mexico Restaurant) a Holiday Inn Express and there are several hotels due north of Richmond in the town of Ashland.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Richmond Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Kamloops Hotels
- Rehoboth Beach Hotels
- Moab Hotels
- Bermuda Hotels
- Bad neighborhoods
- Columbus Warnings and Dangers
- Durban Warnings and Dangers
- Santorini Island Warnings and Dangers
- Buenos Aires Warnings and Dangers
- Estes Park Warnings and Dangers
- Kiev Warnings and Dangers
- Cambodia Warnings and Dangers
- Newark Warnings and Dangers
- Positano Warnings and Dangers
- Petra Warnings and Dangers