Roanoke Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Roanoke

• fardarrig76's Profile Photo

The Blues BBQ Company: Excellent BBQ, great Atmosphere, great staff

by fardarrig76 Written Aug 8, 2011

Went into Roanoke for a late dinner on a Sunday night. Not much was open, so we gave Blues BBQ a try. So happy we did. I got the California Turkey sandwich. That was excellent, Turkey burger, provolone cheese, avocado slices and their barbeque sauces. That was very excellent. For my side, I got the hush puppies, that came with a flavored sweet butter, mouth watering. My wife got the pulled chicken sandwich which was so good. She also got the fried okra, very good.

I just wish I had gotten the fried pickles. Definitely worth a try.

Favorite Dish: Hush Puppies

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Little Dipper Cafe: Light Lunch Heaven!

by Gillybob Written May 15, 2011

We stopped here for a light lunch on our wander around Roanoke.

The menu here is a selection of soups, sandwiches and salads with homemade ice cream and smoothies as good options for desserts.

Hours :
    Spring / Summer
    Monday to Friday : 11:00 - 17:00
    Saturday : 11:00 - 17:00

Fall (Autum) / Winter
    Monday to Friday : 11:00 - 16:00
    Saturday : 11:00 - 16:00 (Closed on Saturdays in January and February)

Favorite Dish: I had the bowl of homemade soup and half sandwich whilst Iain enjoyed the whole sandwich with a cup of soup. The homemade soup was chunky with vegetables and very tasty, the sandwich freshly made.

Little Dipper Cafe Bowl of Soup & Half Sandwich

Trio: Bistro Bar Bottle

by HotSpotJ Updated Apr 4, 2011

Trio is a restaurant frequented by my company on business dinners, has an excellent, comfortable bar to grab appetizers and a drink while watching the game, or to make reservations and enjoy their full menu one would be equally comfortable. I would recommend this place over most if you want to be downtown and are avoiding the noisier restaurants. Trio also has an impressive wine menu that should satisfy.

Favorite Dish: I like the Crusty Grouper, also a big fan of the Crab Stuffed Shrimp.

Trio
    • Singles
    • Business Travel

202 Market: Long Overdue

by HotSpotJ Updated Jun 27, 2007

April 2007 brought with it the opening of 202 Market in downtown Roanoke. Formally known as Saltories and then Paradox, the building has been completely renovated and looks absolutely amazing, down to the finest detail. The course menu is diverse and delicious, as is the cocktail menu. My first meal here was a business dinner with excellent service, the staff was quick to accomodate 3 co-workers who came in drunkenly unannounced! I would recommend 202 Market to anyone who enjoys a finer menu with a bit of diversity in their meals. The 2nd Floor piano lounge is amazingly arranged, with plush seating and detailed lighting accents that give 202 Market an ambiance found in cities with a bit more sophistication than Roanoke. The only negative aspect of this establishment is the steep cover charge for live music that, for the mainstream spenders, is not that appealing, and unavoidable as the stage is front and center. Bluegrass and whatnot is a very hard taste to acquire.

Favorite Dish: The calamari was good, the salmon was amazing, and every drink I had from the Brasilian section of the cocktail menu was incredible. I plan to try many more cocktails on the 202 menu. My friends seemed to like the fried chicken appetizers and vodka drinks as well!

My recent visits here would lend my recommendations towards the mushroom tempura starter, the mussles, also try the crabcake entree.

Piano bar 202 Market

• 419 West: Horrible Acoustics

by patriotsfan Written Jan 8, 2007

I went to this place once with the dinner group that I organize, and we all agreed that we would never return here. Reason? The acoustics!! We were at a circular table under the domed roof, and we could plainly hear people talking at a table near the window across the dining room from us talking in normal volumes, but we could not understand a word from the people at our own table across from us!! Everyone at our table had this problem, not just me and the other folks on my side of the table. So I absolutely disagree with Hot SpotJ's review that the acoustics are great. If you have to dine here, try to get a table NOT under the dome.

Favorite Dish: Who cares? I honestly do not remember what I/we had here, because the dining experience was ruined by the noise. I think the food quality was pretty good, but the service was on the slow side.

• Luxury Travel
    • Business Travel

• I. H.O.P.: Often excellent for a big breakfast

by patriotsfan Written Jan 8, 2007

If you enjoy a truly big breakfast, I strongly recomend that you give International House of Pancakes a try. But if all that you want for breakfast is a coupe of eggs, toast, and coffee or OJ, this may not be the best choice. IHOP has a wide variety of breakfast combinations that include meat and eggs; pancakes; pancakes and eggs; pancakes and meat; pancakes, meat and eggs; french toast; belgian waffles; etc. etc. etc. Compared to Famopus Anthony's, the prices are higher, but the restaurant is roomier and on a weekday morning IHOP is not usually that crowded, so that service is decently quick and the noise level is fairly low. Weekend mornings -- especially Saturdays -- are a completely different story. Very crowded, slow service, sometimes you have to wait just to be seated, and nearly always lots of S.K.s (= Screaming Kids!) If you want a quiet breakfast with fairly responsive service on a weekend, avoid IHOP like the plague.

Favorite Dish: My favorite meal is the breakfast sampler (I qualify for the Senior sampler): two eggs, two pancakes, and meat slices. I do not care for either bacon or sausage very much, so in the past they have allowed me to substitute two ham slices instead of getting the two bacon slices and two small sausage links. I think the senior sampler goes for $5.99.

• Seniors

Mac N Maggies: Local favorite

by HotSpotJ Updated Aug 8, 2006

This place is good for their ample cocktails and great entree's... I recommend stopping in at least once if you need a change from franchise restaurants.

NOTICE: CLOSED SPRING 2006, Replaced at location by PANERA BREAD

Favorite Dish: Surf and Turf baby, and the ribs, oh so good but now they're gone forever!

Mac & Maggies

309 Grille: Market Street Grille

by HotSpotJ Updated Feb 4, 2006

A local favorite with a great bar, 309. They have live music, great food and a great happy hour.... come start it off at 309!

UPDATE: Sadly, Due to what was said to be mismanagement, 309 closed the doors Winter of 2005 :(

309 Grille

Shakers: Good Drinks and Food

by HotSpotJ Written Mar 27, 2005

Of all the places at Valley View Mall here in Roanoke, I like Shakers the most... the crowd here is more discerning (sometimes TGIFridays has too many knuckelheads at the bar), and I love the redesigned bar with a number of televisions and a great drink and food menu.

Favorite Dish: My fav is the Cheesy chicken and mushroom.

Shakers

Brambleton Deli: Welcome to the Deli

by HotSpotJ Written Mar 27, 2005

This place is great for a casual dinner or lunch when you want to escape those cookie cutter menus from the places at the malls- Great sandwiches with good service. They also have Karoake Wednesday nights and a decent patio crowd in the summer.

Favorite Dish: I've liked every sub I've tried here

Brambleton Deli

IHOP: Internation House of Pancakes

by HotSpotJ Updated Mar 27, 2005

I know I try to stay away from the franchised tips, but this place has rescued my friends and I from so many starving after-hours nights. I'm not sure about the 24-HR deal, I only visit this place between last call and 3AM.

Favorite Dish: My usual- Golden Ranch Chicken, salad and water.

IHOP classic Coke and burger

Texas Tavern: Millionaires Club

by HotSpotJ Updated Mar 27, 2005

This place is an absolute must-eat if you are in downtown Roanoke. The food is not the best unless your night has involved some type of alcoholic consumption, and then this menu appears as appeasing as an oasis would to a man stranded in the desert. It has been here since sometime in the 30's I believe, and has been grandfathered past about every known legality we have in the food industry. On vacation I have met people from my hometown and one of the first things they mention is the Texas Tavern.

Favorite Dish: My usual order- bowl with and cheesy with, coke. You NEVER say chili here, just say bowl with or without (onions) and a cheesy with is a cheesy western with onions. I'm not saying this food is going to help your chances of living into a ripe old age, but you have to eat here at least once

Texas Tavern

Rancho Viejo: Awesome decor

by HotSpotJ Written Mar 27, 2005

I love Rancho Viejos decor in their restaurant, a great design which creates an awesome atmosphere. the one setback is the actual food, it has that cheap american taste that spoils the authenticity of your experience. Thats why i go to the bar, the nicest mexican bar locally, and have my shots of Don Julio

Favorite Dish: Nachos and some Don julio

Rancho Viejo

El Rodeo: Ariba!

by HotSpotJ Written Mar 27, 2005

Not as exquisite an atmosphere as other Mexican spots, but more authentic food at a decent price, and they even have the habenero sauce at the tables for those who like it HOT.

Favorite Dish: The Enchilada Supreme with a margarita

El Rodeo

Awful Arthurs: Awful

by HotSpotJ Written Mar 27, 2005

I like certain items on Awfuls menus, and then completely dislike others, so its a hit and miss with Roanokes largest raw bar. If you want to go here and play some billiards, they do have nice tables, and this is a popular local spot on Wednesday nights.

Favorite Dish: Crab Legs and Hush Puppies

Awful Arthurs

Instant Answers: Roanoke

Comments

Roanoke Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Roanoke restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Roanoke sightseeing.