Smithfield Local Customs

  • South Mason Street
    South Mason Street
    by grandmaR
  • Grace Street
    Grace Street
    by grandmaR
  • Hill Street church across the parking lot
    Hill Street church across the parking...
    by grandmaR

Most Recent Local Customs in Smithfield

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    220 Grace Street - The Grove (circa 1780)

    by grandmaR Written Mar 26, 2005
    Grace Street

    The Grove was built between 1780-90 for Thomas Pierce. This brick residence once stood in a grove of oak trees, which was cut down and sold to the Russian Navy during the Crimean War. The building was once used as a boarding house and a hotel. It was restored in 1956 by Lieutenant Governor and Mrs. A.E.S. Stephens.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Britt-Simpson House (circa 1854)

    by grandmaR Updated Mar 26, 2005
    Main Street Houses

    The square grey house on the right in this picture is the Britt-Simpson House, built around 1854 by George W. Britt. This house is the last house on the walking tour and is just up the street from the Visitor's Center.

    This was the home of Frank B. and Emily Delk Simpson. Mrs. Simpson was one of the founders of the Women's Club of Smithfield and the organizer and first director of the Isle of Wight Branch of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA).

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Victorian Row c 1900

    by grandmaR Updated Mar 26, 2005
    Main Street Victorians

    These houses are across the street from the Visitor's Center. at 336-346 Main Street

    Victorian row , also know as the Painted Ladies, consists of five typical houses of the late Victorian time period (early 1900's), each featuring bay fronts and gingerbread trim. The houses were built around 1901 by Burton W. Hearn, who, himself, lived at 346 Main Street.

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Wentworth-Barrett House (circa 1752)

    by grandmaR Written Mar 26, 2005
    Wentworth-Barrett House

    This beautiful brick home at 117 South Church Street was one of the first homes built in the newly established town of Smithfield. It was constructed in 1752 for Capt. Samuel Wentworth, a wealthy merchant. He resided here with his wife, Mary, and their five daughters until his death in 1767. The home remained in the Wentworth family until 1802, when it was purchased by Mallory Todd, who cured and shipped Smithfield hams. The Wentworth home was conveyed to Mallory Todd's son and in 1851 he sold it to Robert F. Barrett for $1800. The home would remain on the Barrett family for the next century.

    By 1954, the Wentworth-Barrett was unoccupied and in need of restoration. Robert F. Barrett's grandson, Frederick Barrett II, restored the family home and introduced the modern conveniences of running water and electricity to a home that had never experienced them.

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    William D. Folk House (circa 1876)

    by grandmaR Written Mar 26, 2005
    Folk house porch

    This is a picture of the porch of the Folk House at 309 South Church Street. Built in 1876 and painted red during Victorian times, this was the home of William Folk, Mayor of Smithfield, from 1884-1893. Since that time it has been the home of two more of Smithfield's mayors - Howard W. Gwaltney (1950-1961) and Smithfield's first woman mayor, Florine H. Moore, elected in 1986

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    1876 Pembroke Decatur Gwaltney House (First)

    by grandmaR Written Mar 26, 2005
    226 South Church Street

    This house at 226 South Church Street, which is Victorian in style was built in 1876. Mr. Gwaltney founded the peanut business in Smithfield and later re-established the meat curing business started by Mallory Todd. It had scaffolding on in when I took the picture.

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Delk House (circa 1877)

    by grandmaR Written Mar 26, 2005
    212 South Church Street Delk House

    This house was built in 1877 for Captain O.G. Delk of Kemper's Brigade in the Civil War. Delk was later captain of one of the steamboats serving the port of Smithfield. The house features floor-length windows.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Budget Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Church Street

    by grandmaR Updated Mar 26, 2005
    On Cedar Street looking toward Church

    The large light colored building on the left is Christ Episcopal Church at 111 South Church Street built circ. 1830. The church was built in 1830. The church bell is said to have been tendered to the Confederate Ordinance Department in 1862 during the Civil War.

    The red brick building at 117 South Church Street is Wentworth-Barrett House which has its own tip.

    The square grey house on the near right corner at 130 South Church Street is the Chapman House which was built around 1892 in the typical Victorian style. It was remodeled in the 1930's to its present hipped-roof Georgian style. Once used as the town's bakery, and later as a library. It is now a Bed & Breakfast named "The Library"

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    South Mason Street

    by grandmaR Written Mar 26, 2005
    South Mason Street

    This picture shows the Mary Jackson House on the left side of the street. Opposite the Mary Jackson House at 112 South Mason Street is the blue Miles Cary House
    Built circ. 1800. This two-story federal style residence was added to a small Dutch-roofed house, which was later moved to the back of the lot and was eventually torn down. The house was restored between 1997 and 2003 by Trey Gwaltney.

    Farther down the street at the corner of Cedar Street & South Mason Street is the red brick Trinity Methodist Church. This Gothic structure, built in 1898, replaced an earlier frame church.

    In the next block (but not shown) at 205 South Mason Street is the red brick Smithfield Academy (circ. 1826)

    The building was erected in 1826 as a private school for young men. After 1872, it became a public school and later a Masonic Lodge. Restored in 1963, it is used by the Trinity United Methodist Church.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Mary Jackson House circ. 1760

    by grandmaR Written Mar 26, 2005
    Mary Jackson House

    The "Mary Jackson House" is located on "Lott 32" of the original surveyor's map dated 1750. The lot sold for the usual price of four British pounds and six shillings in 1753. In 1759, Mary Jackson, a widow, purchased this 1/2 acre lot for thirty pounds. By 1760, she had built this house which was valued at 190 pounds.

    The house was ideally located in Colonial days near the Courthouse, being separated only by an open grassy area known as the "Courthouse Green". Mary took full advantage of this location and in 1760 she petitioned the Court for a license to operate an "Ordinary" or tavern. Unfortunately, the house's use as an ordinary was brief because Mary Jackson died in 1761.

    The main part of the house appears to have been constructed as two separate sections. The portion on the left side of the porch is on a separate foundation. However, the construction materials and techniques indicate that this section is actually older than the rest of the house, possibly indicating that it was a pre-existing structure that was moved to this site, or that it formed the original part of a smaller house that Mary Jackson added on to in 1760.

    The mansard roof has new cedar shingles

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    c 1886 Goodrich House

    by grandmaR Written Mar 26, 2005
    Goodrich House

    This house at 334 South Church Street was built about 1886. It is elegantly Victorian and is distinguished as the only home in Smithfield with a Mansard roof and stained-glass cupola.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Hill Street Baptist Church circ. 1832

    by grandmaR Written Mar 26, 2005
    Hill Street church across the parking lot

    This church was built about 1832 by the Baptists at 110 Hill Street. Two other congregations have since used this church.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Smithfield

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

110 travelers online now

Comments

Smithfield Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Smithfield local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Smithfield sightseeing.

View all Smithfield hotels