Surry Travel Guide

Surry Things to Do

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

by etfromnc Written Jul 25, 2009

Most Americans are familiar with the story of Capt. John Smith and Pocahontas. Most of those Americans are also aware that this story is a mythical legend. Pocahontas may well have been the first Indian to marry a European but he was John Rolfe, another, perhaps even more successful, leader of the Jamestown settlement group. The closest that Pocahontas and John Smith came to being united was probably geographic. In 1609, the Jamestown settlers

Surry Restaurants

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

by etfromnc Written Sep 23, 2008

I much prefer traveling on roads which are better described as byways rather than expressways, unless of course I am going somewhere that I am supposed to be before I left the place that I was before. On my return from the celebration of the 400th anniversary of the English colony at Jamestown, Virginia, I decided to take the more leisurely way home. My first meal stop was one of my best meals during that trip. This restaurant and inn have been in this location for over 50 years but must have had some rough times in recent years. The new owners, both of whom I met and visited with independently, were very cordial and seemed committed to do whatever it takes to return this location to its former glory. (I wonder if Michael Vick and his friends ever ate there.) The staff seemed to have totally bought into the new owners' goals as the food and service were both excellent. I have had some unfortunate experiences in rural dining facilities but on other occasions I have felt like Anthony Bourdain must have been only a day or so ahead of me. This was one of those positively memorable occasions.

Favorite Dish: I had country-style fried chicken with a cream gravy almost as good as my dad or my grandmother used to make, a house salad with locally made honey mustard dressing, golden corn, and fried apples and although it was only early June, each item tasted as though it had been harvested (or slaughtered) that day and prepared only after I entered the building. The ice tea was also freshly brewed and no matter how fast I drank it my glass never got much below half-full.

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Surry

Comments

Surry Travel Guide
Map of Surry