Williamsburg Restaurants

by Yaqui

Most Recent Restaurants in Williamsburg

Trellis: "Desserts To Die For" and great meals too

by KittyLou Written Jul 28, 2008

Dinner in the main restaurant is a spurgle event. We went for it beginning with mixed salads followed by pan roasted shirmp for me and beef tenderloin for my husband. I finished the meal with the "Diamonds & Ice" dessert while my husband opted for the pastry of the day, a Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake with a side of chocolate sorbet.

I think you could enjoy the outside area during the day for less $$$ . The hours of 3 until 5 are listed for desserts/drinks so that might be the time for just the "Death By Chocolate" as a special mid afternoon treat.

Favorite Dish: Oh I think I need revisit Williamsburg and eat here again before deciding. Perhaps finding a couple friends to help me polish off a "Death By Chocolate"

• Luxury Travel

Museum Cafe: A quick bite at the DeWitt Wallace Museum

by KittyLou Updated Jul 28, 2008

Perfect place to sit, rest your feet, and give yourself a few minutes to regroup while making the most of your day. Many of the lunch items are named after famous colonists-- i.e. I had the Thomas Jefferson (ham & biscuits, chutney, pickle) while my husband selected the Martha Washington (fresh fruit plate with pound cake).

Favorite Dish: Good old American BISCUITS What can I say, where ever you are in Virginia you can not go wrong ordering them -- there must be something special about the flour. Even the best biscuits in New England do not seem as fluffy and rich.

• Museum Visits

Fireside Chophouse: Surprisingly good and relaxing

by KittyLou Updated Jul 23, 2008

We found this place "pot luck" on our way into Williamsburg. It is located along one of those busy main road strips with lots of chains (food & retail). I simply wanted to sit down, have a waitress, and something better than fast food (McD's, Wendy's, BK) stuff. But my husband and I solidended up enjoying well prepared meal of quality ingredients with prompt comfortable yet slightly elegant service.

I started with french onion soup followed by jumbo shrimp stuffed with crabmeat (yum). My husband had a crab cake starter followed by a ceasar salad topped with grilled chicken. Everything was EXCELLENT. A very very pleasant welcome to Williamsburg.

Favorite Dish: The crab stuffed jumbo shrimp or the crabcakes.

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

Josiah Chowning's Tavern: 18th century tavern entertainment

by leafmcgowan Written May 28, 2008

A wink from a cute barmaid lured me into this fine and festive, speedy service establishment. Fashioned in Colonial style decor and architecture, as is every establishment in Colonial Williamsburg, lies Josiah Chowning's tavern in the heart of the old town. They boast a daytime menu that has quick fresh fare such as pulled pork, beef brisket, hickory-grilled hamburgers, salads, and other sandwiches. In the evening, it becomes a true 18th century rum and alehouse, serving light fare, local ales and wines, rums, and Colonial Williamsburg's own draft root beer. Balladeers lead guests in rousing sing-alongs and constumed servers invite patrons to play popular colonial games. I feasted on the small and pricey, but delicious crab cake sandwich while sitting with a couple from Texas as there are no private tables at this pub. Entertained by fiddlers and violinists, a magician, and comedy ... my quickly served dinner snacking on bowls of peanuts while awaiting the food gave my feet a good rest and my spirit an uplift as I tried to figure out entertainment for the rest of the evening. Rating: 4 stars out of 5. Visited 5/21/08.

• Music

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

Captain George's Seafood Restaurant: all you can eat seafood

by leafmcgowan Written May 27, 2008

A legendary enormous seafood buffet with some of the freshest and most delicious seafood available. They have four locations - one in Myrtle Beach, SC; and three in Virginia. I visited the Williamsburg, Virginia location on 5/20/08. Captain Georges was started in 1978 by George and Sherry Pitsilides who wanted to provide fresh seafood in an all-you-can eat buffet featuring more than 70 items. Their menu often consists of She-Crab Soup, New England Clam Chowder, Snow Crab Legs, Steamed Spiced Shrimp, Prime Rib, Fresh Broiled Salmon, Seafood Casserole, Steamed Clams, Steamed Mussels, Norfolk Special, Fried Scallops, Fried Trout, Fried Shrimp, Baked Imperial Crabmeat Supreme, BBQ Ribs, Hampton-Style
    Crab Cakes, Stuffed Mushrooms, Broiled Chicken, Oven Fried Clam Strips, Captain’s Own Deviled Crab, Manicotti, Stuffed Clams, A Variety of Fresh Broiled Fish, Clams Casino, Oysters Rockefeller, Hard Blue Crabs, Fresh Baked Breads as the main courses with just as many vegetables and sides and desserts offered. The food was fabulous as was the service. Rating 5 stars out of 5.

• Business Travel

• The College Deli: Beware of the College Deli!!!

by Bolo74 Written May 24, 2008

I have been going to this place for over 15 years. However, I just recently moved back into town and decided to give one of my old stomping grounds a try. Apparently, there are new owners, and apparently, these guys should not be anywhere NEAR a business, let alone a food service or customer service business. Me, my wife, and some friends came in around 2PM on a Saturday afternoon (because we wanted to avoid the lunch rush). Now, you would think that a restaraunt in Williamsburg would be properly staffed ona saturday afternoon. Not a chance, only the owners and their teenage son were there. We ordered 4 sandwiches and 45 minutes later, they still were not ready. At this point the kids were crying and we had already seen half a dozen other angry customers inquiring about their orders. When I went up to ask for our money back since the kids were crying and the food was still not ready, the teenage son got beligerent and informed me that there were a bunch of orders to get done, of course it would take a long time! When I asked if he was the owner, he said no and pointed to his dad, who only said "I dont give money back, and I'll call the cops if you keep asking". The son acted like he wanted to start a fist fight with me, and I just waved him off and again, politely asked for my money back. They again refused. The tone changed slightly whenI informed them that I was a local, not a tourist. I have a been a business owner for many years, and I would never even dream of treating my customers like this. Apparently they have enough business that it does not matter to them.
    The worst [art of the story is that as I looked behind the counter to see where the rest of my order was, I realized that not one person handling the food was wearing gloves. Matter of fact, the teenager AND the father were both handling money at the cash register, were both cooking, and neither had gloves on. I left the food there and just informed them that I;d be contacting the health dept. 4 other customers behind me in line left at the same time.
    So, bottom line, eat here at your own risk, but dont expect prompt service, customer satisfaction, or bacteria-free food!

Favorite Dish: Wish I could tell you, but I never recieved my food order!

• Business Travel

• Aberdeen Barn: Fantastic Food and Service, Can't Beat It!

by johncimenara Written Mar 31, 2008

From the moment I stepped in the door to when I put my napkin on the table I was blown away by the personal service and agreeable demeanor of the staff. Our waiter was very nice, but didn't talk too much. I got the prime rib and I mean Woah!!! - best prime rib I've every had! It rivals my grandma's home cooking!. Don't be deterred by the website's archaic appearance!

Favorite Dish: Prime rib here is perfection. They really spend time preparing a great meal. The meat was tender and almost fell off the bones and glazed in the most perfectly balanced semi-sweet barbecue.

• lonestar_philomath's Profile Photo

Milano's: Italian on Richmond Road

by lonestar_philomath Written Feb 27, 2008

The restaurant looks like it was made for tourists however the food was great even though the service staff were slow. There were only two other tables occupied at the time.

Favorite Dish: Lasagna but the portion was too small!

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Candle Light Kitchen: not such a bright idea to eat here

by b1bob Written Feb 25, 2008

Candle Light Kitchen

Candle Light Kitchen is conveniently located on Route 60 East (Richmond Road) in Norge just north of Williamsburg proper at the shopping centre where the old Candy Factory was. It is a no-frills restaurant with a standard American menu. The service was fast and accommodating. For example, what I ordered came with mashed potatoes (which I hate). The waitress gladly substituted fries for the mashed potatoes.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the open-faced turkey sandwich with fries and coffee to drink. The fries were above average, but in most open-faced turkey sandwiches I've had, they toast the bread. The turkey was mediocre and the gravy was saltier than it needed to be. Furthermore, the coffee was terrible. There are plenty of better places to eat along Route 60.

• sabogg01's Profile Photo

Shield's Tavern: Nice place but rather expensive for what you get

by sabogg01 Written Oct 4, 2007

I enjoyed exploring the Tavern and listening to the individual playing the violin as we were having lunch, but I must say I am somewhat unsatisfied with how much we paid for what we ate. We ordered 2 lemonades, 2 sandwiches, and 2 cookies and it was almost $30. I chose the Vegetable Wrap and did not really like it. There were few vegetables inside the wrap and since they were cold and raw it wasn't very good. The cookies were hard. The lemonade was excellent however. My boyfriend ordered a Turkey Wrap and I tried it and actually enjoyed it but thought it was a bit small to have been $8. Okay for a first time visit but probably will not go back again.

Favorite Dish: Lemonade

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Hog Wild Smokehouse: Go Hog Wild!

by b1bob Updated Sep 18, 2007

Hog Wild Smokehouse

Most people from out of town visit Williamsburg via Interstate 64, but they often miss the treasures on the back roads. Hog Wild in nearby Toano is one of them. It is not an old established favourite- it opened in 2005. Many of the previous occupants of this location were bars or roadhouses. One of Hog Wild's predecessors boldly admitted to serving moonshine. Locals were relieved when the owner took out the bar and put in a family-style restaurant. Outside, Hog Wild has the feel of a roadhouse and you can smell the smoked meat from the parking lot. Never call it a "barbecue joint". Hog Wild offers a lot of seafood and Creole items. The owners consider it more of a smokehouse. Everything there is homemade including five barbecue sauces served in boxes intended for beer bottles. They offer a North Carolina style vinegar based sauce, a South Carolina style mustard based sauce, a St. Louis style sweet and spicy sauce, a New Orleans style tomato based sauce, and a Tabasco based extremely hot sauce called Cajun voodoo. The decor on the inside is a little mundane and drab, but the smoky aromas outside the restaurant and in provide all the atmosphere I need.

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken dinner which consists of a half chicken with a mildly spicy dry rub. All entrees come with cheesy cornbread and either a salad and one side dish or two side dishes. I had the barbecue beans and the collard greens. The chicken was outstanding, the cornbread was better than most, the beans were a little too sweet (a bit more dry mustard would balance it out), and the collard greens were served as whole leaves, but were great just the same.

en español, em português

• Old Chickahominy House: Don't eat in - just visit the antique shop!

by lprstn Written Jul 23, 2007

The place looked homey and pleasant however the food was not worth the trip. We ordered the lunch special, chicken and dumplings, and grilled cheese (for our kids-they have a limited kids menu). The special included; soup, drink, fruit salad, ham & biscuits and dessert. The soup was good, the tea and lemonade were tasty, however the ham was dry and the biscuit was hard/crispy and had no taste. You put the ham/biscuit together you get one dry salty ham sandwich. The biscuit is a flat square biscuit, the ham is not moist. The grilled cheese came with chips. The fruit salad had a peach, pineapple (you get them from a can) topped with a ranch dressing and chedder cheese (yuk!) on a bed of lettuce. The chicken and dumpling was bland and the dumplings weren't cooked. I guess the other reviews are of people that don't know how to cook or that don't know a good tasty meal when they get one, cause you don't get one here. The only thing we liked were the pies (buttermilk (which has a lemony taste) and chocolate).

Favorite Dish: The drinks (sweet tea/ lemonade) and the pie (chocolate/buttermilk)

• jne7299318's Profile Photo

The Cheese Shop: Anything You Want to Eat Can Be Gotten Here!

by jne7299318 Updated Jul 6, 2007

A busy shop where you can get anything from soup and sandwiches to fresh cheese, beer, baked goods, . Downstairs is a wine store with a wide selection of wines from around the world. They have wine tastings also.
    I picked up a good gazpacho and hard roll. Outdoor seating was available. Children are welcomed.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Chowning's Tavern: An Affordable Tavern

by Tom_Fields Written May 20, 2007

Chowning's Tavern

This is similar to a British pub, with sandwiches and appetizers, plus free peanuts in the shell on each table. The barbecued ribs were exquisite. It's a popular place, not only for the good food, but also the specialty drinks and live entertainment. It's open later than the other taverns. And it also costs about half as much as the other taverns.

The live music is all colonial-style folk music. Fiddlers and singers perform without amplification (obviously not needed in such a small place). This is a delightful place for an informal supper, or for a few drinks.

Favorite Dish: The ribs were to die for.

• Music
    • Beer Tasting

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

Haagen-Dazs Shop: good but expensive

by davecallahan Updated Mar 20, 2007

Basically a higher priced ice cream parlor which also serves a limited choice of bakery items.

We had been at Colonial Williamsburg all day and it was hot. So on the way back to the Ramada Inn on US60 we stopped in for some ice cream. They had great choice of flavors. The texture was like pudding, unusual and not unpleasant. We had a bagel and a croissant also.

Never had Haagen Dazs before. Will probably have more in the future.

Instant Answers: Williamsburg

Comments

Williamsburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Williamsburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Williamsburg sightseeing.