Williamsburg Warnings and Dangers

WHERE IS MY CAR?
    TOP OF THE GOVERNOR'S PALACE
  • SORRY,  SOLID  WASTES  OF  A  HORSE  ON  A  STREET
    SORRY, SOLID WASTES OF A HORSE ON ...

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Williamsburg

Speeding Trucks!

by Yaqui Updated Apr 14, 2011

Ok, I am not a fan of speeding trucks and I will say that California does have them, "BUT" I will say this for California has a law that mandates that trucks are not to exceed "55" or anyone towing a trailer for that matter and there are to stay to the right or it is a "HUGE" fine. I could not get over all the Trucks speeding while traveling to Williamsburg and Hampton on the 64. My sister warned me of this and I just couldn't get over that fact. OMG, all of them were well going over 70 miles per hour and passing everyone they could. Your eastern states should start doing something about this. So if you are not familiar with this sort of malice, just beware of this.

Virginia Road Conditions.

Coming up too fast!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

More visited than Washington, D.C.

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I visited Colonial Williamsburg on Thursday in the middle of October. There were many visitors but I can't say it was over-crowded although we had to wait in a line about 20 min. to visit the Capitol and we had to wait for the 3rd shuttle bus to come back to the parking lot.

But I would expect more people on weekends and especially American long weekends close to the following national holidays:
    - Memorial Day (last Monday of May),
    - Independence Day (July, 4),
    - Labour Day (first Monday of September))
    - Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday of November).

My suggestions:
    1. be at visitors center before 9.00 am (they open it 8.45), most folks go a little bit later and visit the Governor's House first, before others;
    2. if you start a little bit later start from the Capitol (most folks go to closer Governor's House, I suppose);
    3. when it's getting dark avoid shuttle buses back to visitors center (you can walk there).

Keep in mind that Williamsburg with approx. 4.5 mln visitors a year (over 12,000 daily) is the most visited place in Virginia and one of the most visited in the USA, surprisingly even more than the U.S. capital, Washington, DC.

CROWDS ALONG MAIN AVENUE OF COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Evangelical Preachers

by Tom_Fields Written May 20, 2007

These people are a public nuisance. Unfortunately, they are all over the place. And while they generate some noise complaints, dealing with this problem is a lot like pushing down a bubble in an air mattress--it simply pops up somewhere else.

These preachers rarely convert anyone; in fact, it's more than likely that they turn other people off. Hearing them makes me want to get rip-roaring drunk.

When I took this photo, someone actually had the courage to confront this idiotic preacher. Eventually, security showed up and we enjoyed some peace and quiet.

A passerby confronts a preacher

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

safe place....

by davecallahan Updated Apr 19, 2007

the town of Williamsburg itself is rated well below average on the crime risk scale, meaning that it is a fairly safe place in general.
    the annual crime stats are:
    0 murders, 2 rapes, 5 robberies, 25 assaults or burglaries, 450 thefts (mostly shoplifting).
    i was surprised to see that the town of Williamsburg is home to 64 registered sex offenders ( that is about one sex offender for every 200 people in Williamsburg).
    (if this concerns you, then you might want to check out the websitebelow).

we have been to Williamsburg several times and have never had any problems. the general population is very friendly and helpful.
    just use normal precautions that you would use at home (lock doors, keep an eye on the kids, don't go out real late at night alone) and you will have a safe and pleasant holiday.

• Women's Travel

• Hot weather...

by Cherry_Lips Written Mar 2, 2007

If you're coming down here in July like I did, then it is wise to make sure that you stay as hydrated as possible and take advantage of the drink and snack stands that are located throughout the historic area. If you stop at one of them, then buy the bottled water since that's essential to keeping hydrated. Also try to duck in and out of air conditioned buildings when you can for some relief. The reason why I'm saying this is because there was one tourist who was in the historic area one afternoon as I was heading back to my hotel room and he/she collapsed due to heat exaustion apparently since there was an ambulance parked on the side of the street(emergency vehicles are the only ones permitted in the historic area) along with some police vehicles and fire trucks there.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Be sure of current maps!

by Yaqui Written Jan 23, 2005

Well, I am not without having a goofball ideas and decided to take a scenic route to Hampton. Ha, boy did I. Just glad I gave myself plenty of time and I for one am not to afraid to ask for directions. Yet, exploring to me is always fun. So, when I left Williamsburg I decided to take the Colonial Parkway route, and the map I had did not tell me if I could not get onto Interstate 64. Well, it doesn't, so I cruised along and enjoyed the scenery till I came upon I think it was 199 that got me back to the 64. I will say if you every want to go fishing and explore the woods this is a great road to explore for that!

Be "Weather" prepared!

by Yaqui Updated Jan 23, 2005

One very important tip I can give is to always have water handy. You should always have it handy when its hot of course, but also during winter months. Never stop drinking water. When I visited Williamsburg it was hot and sooooo humid. I was thankful I was caring my water bottle, but I went through it fast. Every where I went the attendants did not have a problem with me filling up my water bottle. That was nice. Yet, it gets real cold here during the winters months of course too, so buddle up.

Williamsburg Weather Forecast

" Whiskey is for drinking; water is for fighting over."
    -- Mark Twain, 1884

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

More shuttle buses, please!

by matcrazy1 Written Dec 31, 2004

At the end of our visit we were wating approx. 20 min. (not that bad although unexpected) for a shuttle bus to Visitors Center where our car was parked. The first 2 or 3 buses which arrived to Merchants Market bus stop were almost full, so only a few visitors could take on. Keep in mind that many folks come back to Visitors Center after 5.00 pm where most tourist attractions close and before/around dusk. And many of them choose the bus stop at Merchants Square which is the second last stop of blue line shuttle bus before reaching the Visitors Center.

We were too tired after very busy day to walk and... 20 minutes was not that bad. And it's not easy to take so many visitors at one time back to the Visitors Center. It was time to use restroom, watch people, take a few more pictures and first of all nice talk with Nat and planning the next day.

Don't miss the last bus. the blue line shuttle cirles historic area daily from 9.00 am to 10.00 pm including Visitor Center only 5.00 - 10.00 pm). The red line shuttle bus (Visitor's Center - Governor's House and back) goes from 8.50 am - 5.00 pm).

AT  MERCHABTS  SQUARE  SHUTTLE  BUS  STOP

More information, please!

by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 30, 2004

Free leaflets and brochures I got at the Visitor's Centers were my basic source of detailed information on places I visited in Colonial Williamsburg. There is no or very concise information put by some, more famous of over 500 colonial houses. In the Capitol and the Governor's Palace there are guided tours and there are historical interpreters in front of some houses, so one can always ask them... Not enough?

Well, generally I can't complain, but I saw right many beautiful houses with no information, even basic, on them. Just one example in my picture. It was difficult to identify this pretty house. It's called Bryan House (corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and Nassau Street) and... no more information.

Each house has its own, often colorful, story. My suggestion is to put more detailed information and map in free brochures (hmm... it may lower sales of some books on Williamsburg) or eventually to put it by each house (hmm... it may break their original look).

BRYAN  HOUSE
    • Architecture

School groups

by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 29, 2004

I saw a lot of school groups of children and youths in Colonial Williamsburg. There is nothing wrong with it unless they acted up. Fortunately, they didn't and we all had a good day :-).

Well, sometimes kids can be noisy, especially in places designated just for them like in the maze behind the Governor's Palace. Sometimes you maybe forced to wait longer after a school group in a line to restroom, for shuttle bus or to join a guided tour inside of the Capitol or the Governor's Palace.

GROUP  OF  YOUTH  IN  COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Book a carriage tour a day before!

by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 29, 2004

I saw many two-horse drawn carriages (for up to 6 persons, both roofed and open) with a costumed coachman hired for a tour around Colonial Williamsburg. But there are no carriage stops (stands) in Williamsburg.

If you want to take a carriage tour you should book it at the Visitors Centre or by phone (call, free from the US: 1-800-history), preferrably a day before. We arrived on business day in the early afternoon and all carriage tours were already sold out for that day.

RWO_HORSE  DRAWN  CARRIAGE

Solid wastes of horses :-(

by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 22, 2004

Horses which drew carriages in colonial Williamsburg relieve themselves on a street. Hmm... I saw their numerous solid wastes on the main avenue, Duke of Gloucester street. Do watch your steps when you cross this street. The street is closed for motor traffic but better use the sidewalks although they maybe crowded.

I would suggest to clean the street during the daytime or to dress horses in special clothes or containers for their wastes like it's done in Krakow, Poland.

SORRY,  SOLID  WASTES  OF  A  HORSE  ON  A  STREET
    • Hiking and Walking

Houses with no numbers

by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 22, 2004

I noticed that houses in colonial Williamsburg had no numbers but each had proper name, for example there is the Red Lion House on my picture. So, I coudn't find any buiding by its number but by its proper name and name of a street it stands by.

What about addresses? Nowadays the address includes Post Office Box number. In the past the name of addressee and eventually the name of street was enough, I think.

Keep in mind that there was no or very poor and random postal coverage in early colonial times of 17th century but by 1775, when the Continental Congress met at Philadelphia, Constitutional Post for inter-colonial mail service (set up by William Goddard) was flourishing, and 30 post offices operated between Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and Williamsburg, Virginia. Well, the only mean of transportation was either a ship or a horse that time.

NO  NUMBER  BY  THE  ENTRANCE
    • Architecture

Do not use them!

by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 18, 2004

I found a lot of pretty copper (a reddish-coloured metal) and brass (alloy of copper and zinc) cookware both in the kithen of the Governor's Palace (on my picture) and in numerous gift stores in Colonial Williamsburg.

Do look at them, do buy them if you like but please never use them for preparing or cooking any food unless you want to catch copper toxicity syndrome. The most common symptoms are headaches, fatigue, insomnia, depression, spaciness, learning disorders or premenstrual syndrome. Brrr...

Some folks told me that both Hillary Clinton and Theresa Heinz-Kerry use copper and brass cookware in their kitchens. Hmm... I don't know :-).

COOKWARE IN THE KITCHEN OF THE GOVERNOR'S  PALACE

Difficult light for pictures

by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 17, 2004

I was in Williamsburg in the middle of October on partly sunny, partly cloudy day. It was the best weather I could imagine for quite fast visit. I surely took hundreds of pictures of which less than half you can see on that page. But few of them were of low quality because of difficult light conditions.

Look at this picture of the rear part of the Governor's Palace taken on cloudy weather. There are three plans:
    1. very light sky and tower of the palace (the background),
    2. medium in colour palace edifice (the middleground),
    3. very dark palace gardens (the foreground).

Hmm... there is no way to have all these three, very contrast plans sharp on one picture, no matter how good (and expensive) your camera is. Although if I wait for some back sunlight which would light the dark foreground... Well, you can eventually try to light the foreground by using flash if you have good enough one (= strong enough, not this built up in your camera).

Anyway, my recommendation in such situations is to narrow the compostion to less contrast objects (cut the foreground in this case).

MORE:
    - Digital Photography Review - the world's best internet service on digital cameras;
    - ShortCourses - a complete guide to digital cameras, digital photography, and digital video;
    - Digital Photography. The Textbook - for beginners in photography,
    - photo.net - one of the world's largest photo portals online.
    Have a great fun :-)

REAR  PART  OF  THE  GOVERNOR'S  PALACE

Instant Answers: Williamsburg

Comments

Williamsburg Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Williamsburg warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Williamsburg sightseeing.